Video editing on a laptop, is it feasible, and what should..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b D Laptop
June 5, 2004 7:34:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Video editing on a laptop, is it feasible, and what should I look for?

I need to buy a computer to edit a video documentary and it would be
easier if I could use a laptop. This will be my first documentary and
I'm still not sure what software or hardware that I'll use?
I've been reading about real-time pci editing cards such as the Matrox
RT.X10(0) and wondering how useful such a card would be? If they make
the editing process much quicker and intuitive, then I'll forgo the
convenience of a laptop and build myself a desktop.

If I do go for a laptop then I'm considering a Pentium M or Athlon 64
based unit. Any ideas on which of these would be more suitable for
video editing? I don't want a P4 based machine as I'd like a lower
power CPU for the usual reasons.
I'd basically like a laptop that can run cool, quiet & long from the
battery, but can still kick ass when running at full speed from the
mains. An Athlon XP-M is another option to as they are fairly low
power.

In many reviews that I've read of laptops, it's not clear whether the
benchmarks are done from battery power, with the associated loss of
performance. I'm only interested in the video editing performance
when utilising the full system performance from the mains.

Any help appreciated.

Love

Crow
June 5, 2004 7:34:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I would consider getting a mac laptop with final cut pro. The main
consideration is hard drive space- laptops don't have the huge drives that
desktops do, so whatever you choose you will need an external drive. Make
sure the laptop has a 6 pin firewire port rather than the small square
shaped 4 pin port - that way the notebook will power the external drive -
instead of needing AC.
"Crow" <crow@vacionido.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> Video editing on a laptop, is it feasible, and what should I look for?
>
> I need to buy a computer to edit a video documentary and it would be
> easier if I could use a laptop. This will be my first documentary and
> I'm still not sure what software or hardware that I'll use?
> I've been reading about real-time pci editing cards such as the Matrox
> RT.X10(0) and wondering how useful such a card would be? If they make
> the editing process much quicker and intuitive, then I'll forgo the
> convenience of a laptop and build myself a desktop.
>
> If I do go for a laptop then I'm considering a Pentium M or Athlon 64
> based unit. Any ideas on which of these would be more suitable for
> video editing? I don't want a P4 based machine as I'd like a lower
> power CPU for the usual reasons.
> I'd basically like a laptop that can run cool, quiet & long from the
> battery, but can still kick ass when running at full speed from the
> mains. An Athlon XP-M is another option to as they are fairly low
> power.
>
> In many reviews that I've read of laptops, it's not clear whether the
> benchmarks are done from battery power, with the associated loss of
> performance. I'm only interested in the video editing performance
> when utilising the full system performance from the mains.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Love
>
> Crow
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2004 2:00:01 AM

Crow wrote:
> Video editing on a laptop, is it feasible, and what should I look for?
>
> I need to buy a computer to edit a video documentary and it would be
> easier if I could use a laptop. This will be my first documentary and
> I'm still not sure what software or hardware that I'll use?
> I've been reading about real-time pci editing cards such as the Matrox
> RT.X10(0) and wondering how useful such a card would be? If they make
> the editing process much quicker and intuitive, then I'll forgo the
> convenience of a laptop and build myself a desktop.
>
> If I do go for a laptop then I'm considering a Pentium M or Athlon 64
> based unit. Any ideas on which of these would be more suitable for
> video editing? I don't want a P4 based machine as I'd like a lower
> power CPU for the usual reasons.
> I'd basically like a laptop that can run cool, quiet & long from the
> battery, but can still kick ass when running at full speed from the
> mains. An Athlon XP-M is another option to as they are fairly low
> power.
>
> In many reviews that I've read of laptops, it's not clear whether the
> benchmarks are done from battery power, with the associated loss of
> performance. I'm only interested in the video editing performance
> when utilising the full system performance from the mains.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Love
>
> Crow

I know several folks are running Vegas on laptops and having no problems
whatsoever, even when using 4200 rpm drives. Do a keyword search of
"laptop" on the Sony Vegas forum at forum at http://tinyurl.com/yswu9 or
the DMN forums at http://tinyurl.com/cg3t or the COW forum at
http://tinyurl.com/3eyvj for several user opinions.

Mike
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2004 7:29:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Look at notebook PCs that come with Windows XP Media Center edition (MCE)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default....
www.coribright.com

"Crow" <crow@vacionido.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> Video editing on a laptop, is it feasible, and what should I look for?
>
> I need to buy a computer to edit a video documentary and it would be
> easier if I could use a laptop. This will be my first documentary and
> I'm still not sure what software or hardware that I'll use?
> I've been reading about real-time pci editing cards such as the Matrox
> RT.X10(0) and wondering how useful such a card would be? If they make
> the editing process much quicker and intuitive, then I'll forgo the
> convenience of a laptop and build myself a desktop.
>
> If I do go for a laptop then I'm considering a Pentium M or Athlon 64
> based unit. Any ideas on which of these would be more suitable for
> video editing? I don't want a P4 based machine as I'd like a lower
> power CPU for the usual reasons.
> I'd basically like a laptop that can run cool, quiet & long from the
> battery, but can still kick ass when running at full speed from the
> mains. An Athlon XP-M is another option to as they are fairly low
> power.
>
> In many reviews that I've read of laptops, it's not clear whether the
> benchmarks are done from battery power, with the associated loss of
> performance. I'm only interested in the video editing performance
> when utilising the full system performance from the mains.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Love
>
> Crow
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 7, 2004 2:26:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Thanks All,

Thanks for the heads up on the difference between 4 and 6 pin firewire
cables Joe as I'm new to Firewire. I'm going to pass on Macs as I
have enough to learn with video editing, without learning a new OS.
OS-X is tempting though.

Cari, what advantage does Windows XP Media Center edition offer for
video editing? They are a bit thin on the ground and probably
expensive if the desktop versions are indicative.

Love

Crow
June 7, 2004 7:27:35 AM

> Thanks All,
>
> Thanks for the heads up on the difference between 4 and 6 pin firewire
> cables Joe as I'm new to Firewire. I'm going to pass on Macs as I
> have enough to learn with video editing, without learning a new OS.
> OS-X is tempting though.
>
> Cari, what advantage does Windows XP Media Center edition offer for
> video editing? They are a bit thin on the ground and probably
> expensive if the desktop versions are indicative.
>
> Love
>
> Crow

Zero reason for Media Center.

Do get Sony Vegas 5. I can master it in minutes. I couldn't figure out how
to use Final Cut Pro which is pretty close to Premiere Pro.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 7, 2004 4:11:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

>Zero reason for Media Center.
>
>Do get Sony Vegas 5. I can master it in minutes. I couldn't figure out how
>to use Final Cut Pro which is pretty close to Premiere Pro.

Thanks Leo,

I have been reading reviews of Premiere Pro, which make it sound
daunting to a beginner. I'll look into Vegas.

Love

Crow
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 7, 2004 10:26:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Not in any order.

* www.apple.com
Apple G4 notebook + Final Cut Pro

Tried & true. Works, Cold Mountain was recently done with Apples.

Killer price for the notebook and software easily equals a system
that will exceed the $3000-4000 price range immediately.

* http://emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachi...
eMachines M6809 + Your choice of video editor. (here, my choice goes to
Vegas Video -- solid as a rock, many happy wedding videos come out fine,
and super-easy to learn. There's a good reason Sony bought Vegas Video
from Sonic Foundry vs. the, IMO, lesser Avid/Premiere/etc. products.
After all, it's not like Sony doesn't have enough money to buy all of
Avid or Adobe & their products if they wanted to....)

One of the fastest and most powerful laptops on this planet, it
kills almost anything that isn't running an Athlon 64-bit processor, and
definitely everything else out there at this price or lower.

March 2004 review says "We expect others to follow suit, but for
now the M6807 can boast the ==best performance scores of any notebook==
we've tested to date."

Yes, you can find faster, but not at the ~$1600 price this baby
sells for at Bestbuy.com
For under $2000, you can have a system that will nuke an Apple G4
notebook off the planet, and run rings around other lesser notebooks
while laughing to the bank with your savings. (or put the difference
into a nice 3CCD camcorder)

One of the better rated notebooks on cnet.com by users:
http://reviews.cnet.com/eMachines_M6000_series/4852-312...

* http://www.1beyond.com/products/3417.asp?search=laptops
http://www.discountlaptops.com/index.php?section=catago...
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/...

1Beyond DV Pro 3417, Sager 17" 8790 series, Dell XPS

Okay, who else has a 3.4Ghz P4 CPU in a 17" widescreen notebook with
dual HDs or a single HD + TV tuner option, or a brand-name? These
notebook makers have always had unique options, and they seriously pack
a lot of computing into a notebook (more like luggable PC given their
10lbs weight)

However, given their heavy weight, high price (usually $2400-3000+),
and hot processor, do they really run faster than the eMachines killer?

Nope: eg. Dell XPS 3.4Ghz
Winstone 2004: 17.1
Multimedia : 25.8
3DMark 2003 : 2489

eg. eMachines M6807 Athlon 64 3000+ (the latest M6809 has an
even faster 3200+ processor)
Winstone 2004: 19.7
Multimedia : 23.7
3dMark 2003 : 2451 (M6805 model)
3dMark 2001 : 9067

That said, the Athlon 64 processor is an excellent CPU and the
eMachines notebook at $1600 is a super bargain vs. the $2400+
alternatives which don't run significantly faster, if at all.

* Sony A series (17" LCD monsters w/TV tuner), GRT series (15/16" w/TV
tuner), TR Series (10", 3.1lbs)

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/...;sid==?CategoryName=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers&Dept=cpu

Here, you've got some of the juiciest screens found on a notebook
(those XBrite screen models are stunning!), built-in TV tuners on the A
& GRT series, crazy things like some of the first models out with a 2Ghz
Pentium M processor (A series, $600 option), standard Sony
video/photo/music editing software & DV compatibility (almost for sure
these notebooks will work fine with their Vegas Video video editing
software), and the pure coolness of having something to talk about when
visitors come.

TR series along with the Fujitsu P5000 series
(http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesb...)
are among the lightest all-in-one ~3lbs 1Ghz P-M notebooks you can buy
today, and certain light and easy on any lap for hours of video editing.

Models with built-in DVD burners make them the lightest DVD burning
notebooks on the planet. Let's you say, "here, why don't I whip out my
3lbs baby and show you my latest 2 hour movie. want a copy, here, let
me burn a DVD now." But at half the speed of the above, definitely a
slower choice.

-------------------------------

As for cool & quite & long, forget it! No such thing unless you
want a slow notebook. Sadly, none of these super-fast notebooks will
give you these features, so you'll have to consider a balanced tradeoff
between long battery life (usually heavy and/or slow), quiet (usually
light and/or slow), and cool (say what?!? you don't even want to put an
Apple on a fluffy fleece bedspread nowadays!).

Here's what I'd say, unless you're gonna keep the baby on your lap
for long periods at a time, it's gonna be on a desk. So don't worry
about the cool part. Battery? Tough trade-off between fast performance
and slower processor, so you decide. Quite - they've almost all got
fans in them nowadays, so don't bother.

Finally, unless you've got the BudgetFromGod, you can't beat the
eMachines M6809 for performance, specs, and useability for the task at
$1600. You can easily spend the difference for a nice 3CCD DV
Camcorder, a trip to Europe for a week, etc. and match the output from
the other notebooks easily with less money spent.

My pick? eMachines M6809 + Vegas Video (esp. at the $249.99 buy
it now price they've got it on ebay.com for a new, unopened package
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2004 5:17:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I'm going to buy a combo FireWire & USB 2.0 PCMCIA card
(single PCMCIA card with *BOTH* USB 2.0 & Firewire ports)
for my 2.4 Celeron notebook. I want to use this card for
editing video.

The plan:

Plug an external 7200 RPM hard drive into the PCMCIA card's
USB 2.0 port and designate this *external* hard drive as the
video capture drive in Premiere Pro. Simultaneously plug in
my digital camcorder into the same PCMCIA card's 1394 FireWire
port and tell the capture program to start capturing video.

Would this exceed the maximum PCMCIA bandwidth by requiring
the card to simultaneously take in 3.6 Mb per second through
it's Firewire port while outputing the 3.6 Mb per second
through the USB 2.0 port to the capture drive?
Causing dropped frames?

Anybody try this before? Any advice appreciated.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2004 11:35:15 AM

Crow wrote:
> Video editing on a laptop, is it feasible, and what should I look for?
>
> I need to buy a computer to edit a video documentary and it would be
> easier if I could use a laptop. This will be my first documentary and
> I'm still not sure what software or hardware that I'll use?
> I've been reading about real-time pci editing cards such as the Matrox
> RT.X10(0) and wondering how useful such a card would be? If they make
> the editing process much quicker and intuitive, then I'll forgo the
> convenience of a laptop and build myself a desktop.
>
> If I do go for a laptop then I'm considering a Pentium M or Athlon 64
> based unit. Any ideas on which of these would be more suitable for
> video editing? I don't want a P4 based machine as I'd like a lower
> power CPU for the usual reasons.
> I'd basically like a laptop that can run cool, quiet & long from the
> battery, but can still kick ass when running at full speed from the
> mains. An Athlon XP-M is another option to as they are fairly low
> power.
>
> In many reviews that I've read of laptops, it's not clear whether the
> benchmarks are done from battery power, with the associated loss of
> performance. I'm only interested in the video editing performance
> when utilising the full system performance from the mains.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Love
>
> Crow

One word:

Dell.

marvel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2004 11:50:02 AM

Crow wrote:

> Thanks All,
>
> Thanks for the heads up on the difference between 4 and 6 pin firewire
> cables Joe as I'm new to Firewire. I'm going to pass on Macs as I
> have enough to learn with video editing, without learning a new OS.
> OS-X is tempting though.
>
> Cari, what advantage does Windows XP Media Center edition offer for
> video editing? They are a bit thin on the ground and probably
> expensive if the desktop versions are indicative.
>
> Love
>
> Crow

One thing about video editing: it's boring as hell -- and monstrously
time-consuming. Screenwriting is a lot more interesting. If you have a
creative mind, you'll be wishing you were doing something else. And
stick with a windows machine, there's no longer any significant
trade-off between it and a mac. Also, a laptop is a better investment --
you're mobile with a laptop. One thing about a laptop, though -- you'll
rarely use it on battery.

I bought a laptop two years ago, run my business from it, and now wonder
why anyone would buy a desk model. There has been nothing -- absolutely
nothing -- that I haven't been able to do with it. And yes, you'll need
an external drive -- so what? They're dirt cheap these days and plug
right in.

Finally, don't go bouncing around from editing system to editing system,
the way I did. Pick one and stay with it. Basically, they're all the same.

My plan for make a great indie is this: I'll shoot it and let some slob
who doesn't have a social life edit it.

marvel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2004 11:50:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 07:50:02 GMT, Prof Marvel
<garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

>One thing about video editing: it's boring as hell -- and monstrously
>time-consuming. Screenwriting is a lot more interesting. If you have a
>creative mind, you'll be wishing you were doing something else. And
>stick with a windows machine, there's no longer any significant
>trade-off between it and a mac. Also, a laptop is a better investment --
>you're mobile with a laptop. One thing about a laptop, though -- you'll
>rarely use it on battery.

not true. Editing and compositing (more) can be extremely interesting
and creative, unless you're talking about your wedding videos.

>I bought a laptop two years ago, run my business from it, and now wonder
>why anyone would buy a desk model. There has been nothing -- absolutely
>nothing -- that I haven't been able to do with it. And yes, you'll need
>an external drive -- so what? They're dirt cheap these days and plug
>right in.

I can upgrade my desk model with new drives, memory and other goodies
which you can't with your laptop. With most laptops.. what you get is
what you get... no room for upgrades. As for dirt cheap.. most PC
parts are dirt cheap these days. It's cheaper to make a frankenstien
PC than it is to buy a laptop. I'd recommend it.

>Finally, don't go bouncing around from editing system to editing system,
>the way I did. Pick one and stay with it. Basically, they're all the same.

Not true... some lose functionality while others gain with each new
release. Some are no longer supported or being developed so you
naturally have to bounce to another (ie. Edit*).

>My plan for make a great indie is this: I'll shoot it and let some slob
>who doesn't have a social life edit it.

Without the "slob" your fat ungreatful ass would never have a
completed film and you'd be peddling your script to customers at your
job in McDonalds while the editor is working on another film. Carry
on, misguided moron... carry on. I'll have a combo #3 with fries,
monkey nuts.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2004 7:56:28 PM

Jack Slopehead wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 07:50:02 GMT, Prof Marvel
> <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>One thing about video editing: it's boring as hell -- and monstrously
>>time-consuming. Screenwriting is a lot more interesting. If you have a
>>creative mind, you'll be wishing you were doing something else. And
>>stick with a windows machine, there's no longer any significant
>>trade-off between it and a mac. Also, a laptop is a better investment --
>>you're mobile with a laptop. One thing about a laptop, though -- you'll
>>rarely use it on battery.
>

> not true. Editing and compositing (more) can be extremely interesting
> and creative, unless you're talking about your wedding videos.
>

>>I bought a laptop two years ago, run my business from it, and now wonder
>>why anyone would buy a desk model. There has been nothing -- absolutely
>>nothing -- that I haven't been able to do with it. And yes, you'll need
>>an external drive -- so what? They're dirt cheap these days and plug
>>right in.
>

> I can upgrade my desk model with new drives, memory and other goodies
> which you can't with your laptop. With most laptops.. what you get is
> what you get... no room for upgrades. As for dirt cheap.. most PC
> parts are dirt cheap these days. It's cheaper to make a frankenstien
> PC than it is to buy a laptop. I'd recommend it.
>

>>Finally, don't go bouncing around from editing system to editing system,
>>the way I did. Pick one and stay with it. Basically, they're all the same.
>

> Not true... some lose functionality while others gain with each new
> release. Some are no longer supported or being developed so you
> naturally have to bounce to another (ie. Edit*).
>

>>My plan for make a great indie is this: I'll shoot it and let some slob
>>who doesn't have a social life edit it.
>

> Without the "slob" your fat ungreatful ass would never have a
> completed film and you'd be peddling your script to customers at your
> job in McDonalds while the editor is working on another film. Carry
> on, misguided moron... carry on. I'll have a combo #3 with fries,
> monkey nuts.

I don't know who you are or what you'r issues are, but if you have a
beef with me, start a new thread and we'll discuss it.

Very inconsiderate of you to throw your temper tantrum here in a thread
everyone seems to be enjoying.

marvel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2004 8:48:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hey Marvel How'd you ever become such a dumb a*s?

Just because you don't enjoy editing doesn't make it "boring as hell".
I've been doing it for over 20 years and still love to edit. The major
difference between now and when I started is that I produce now as well.
All the better.

I guess you are as good a screen writer as you were an editor as I see
your name on so many movie credits. Thanks for the sending a credibility
flare for us all to see and appreciate!

bill

Prof Marvel wrote:
> Crow wrote:
>
>> Thanks All,
>>
>> Thanks for the heads up on the difference between 4 and 6 pin firewire
>> cables Joe as I'm new to Firewire. I'm going to pass on Macs as I
>> have enough to learn with video editing, without learning a new OS.
>> OS-X is tempting though.
>>
>> Cari, what advantage does Windows XP Media Center edition offer for
>> video editing? They are a bit thin on the ground and probably
>> expensive if the desktop versions are indicative.
>>
>> Love
>>
>> Crow
>

> One thing about video editing: it's boring as hell -- and monstrously
> time-consuming. Screenwriting is a lot more interesting. If you have a
> creative mind, you'll be wishing you were doing something else. And
> stick with a windows machine, there's no longer any significant
> trade-off between it and a mac. Also, a laptop is a better investment --
> you're mobile with a laptop. One thing about a laptop, though -- you'll
> rarely use it on battery.
>
> I bought a laptop two years ago, run my business from it, and now wonder
> why anyone would buy a desk model. There has been nothing -- absolutely
> nothing -- that I haven't been able to do with it. And yes, you'll need
> an external drive -- so what? They're dirt cheap these days and plug
> right in.
>
> Finally, don't go bouncing around from editing system to editing system,
> the way I did. Pick one and stay with it. Basically, they're all the same.
>
> My plan for make a great indie is this: I'll shoot it and let some slob
> who doesn't have a social life edit it.
>
> marvel

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2004 9:00:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Stop it Marvel, you're scaring me with the stuff on editing :

I figure the editing though, is a completely integral part of my
project, and I really don't see how anyone else could do that for me?
For me the documentary will only take shape in the editing. If I
don't do it, then it ceases to be my film. On other projects the
mileage may vary of course.

Well the only reason I'm considering NOT buying a laptop, is
coincidentally because of the editing. I've been hearing good things
about the Matrox RT.X10/0 as being very useful in speeding up the
editing process, due to real-time full quality previewing. They are
PCI cards and I don't know if there's an equivalent type of device
available for laptops?

Your advice on sticking with one editing system makes a lot of sense.
I guess I could download demos of the major software available and see
which one seems the friendliest. The only problem is sometimes you
need to work with something quite a while to find it's hidden depths
and flaws. Vegas 5 sounds an interesting option.

Love

Crow

>One thing about video editing: it's boring as hell -- and monstrously
>time-consuming. Screenwriting is a lot more interesting. If you have a
>creative mind, you'll be wishing you were doing something else. And
>stick with a windows machine, there's no longer any significant
>trade-off between it and a mac. Also, a laptop is a better investment --
>you're mobile with a laptop. One thing about a laptop, though -- you'll
>rarely use it on battery.
>
>I bought a laptop two years ago, run my business from it, and now wonder
>why anyone would buy a desk model. There has been nothing -- absolutely
>nothing -- that I haven't been able to do with it. And yes, you'll need
>an external drive -- so what? They're dirt cheap these days and plug
>right in.
>
>Finally, don't go bouncing around from editing system to editing system,
>the way I did. Pick one and stay with it. Basically, they're all the same.
>
>My plan for make a great indie is this: I'll shoot it and let some slob
>who doesn't have a social life edit it.
>
> marvel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2004 9:00:18 PM

Crow wrote:

> Stop it Marvel, you're scaring me with the stuff on editing :
>
> I figure the editing though, is a completely integral part of my
> project, and I really don't see how anyone else could do that for me?
> For me the documentary will only take shape in the editing. If I
> don't do it, then it ceases to be my film. On other projects the
> mileage may vary of course.

I can only speak for myself. When I finally learned to edit I was
disappointed. It wasn't half as much fun as I thought it would be. I
could not help thinking I could be doing something else -- shooting,
writing script. It also seemed to me that my creative talent only came
into play about 10% of the time, that I could have handed over the
editing grunt-work to some worker bee type, come in after him and put my
stamp on the thing.

I really didn't like editing. Very boring.

> Well the only reason I'm considering NOT buying a laptop, is
> coincidentally because of the editing. I've been hearing good things
> about the Matrox RT.X10/0 as being very useful in speeding up the
> editing process, due to real-time full quality previewing. They are
> PCI cards and I don't know if there's an equivalent type of device
> available for laptops?

I'll tell you another secret: get a stand-up desk. You better, because
if you don't you'll be sitting down for hours and your health will take
a hit.

But as to laptops vs desk -- where does the quest for bigger and faster
end? If you're just starting out why on earth do you need the biggest
and fastest configuration out there?

Sounds like overkill to me.

Incidentally, what kind of system do you have right now? I bet it's
probably all the system you need. I say this because when the video bug
bites everyone has a need to go out and spend crazy money to get the
ideal system. A lot of these people move on to a new hobby in a couple
of months -- never picking up their vidcam or fooling with their editing
system again.

It could happen to you. Don't sell the farm until you know you're really
going to stick with this -- and you won't know this until you've done it
for a while.

Better yet, download one of the editing demos, spend a month editing
with it, then decide whether you really want to spend all that money.

That's what I wish I had done.

> Your advice on sticking with one editing system makes a lot of sense.
> I guess I could download demos of the major software available and see
> which one seems the friendliest. The only problem is sometimes you
> need to work with something quite a while to find it's hidden depths
> and flaws. Vegas 5 sounds an interesting option.

I heard great things about Vegas, and it's cheap too. Buy it and don't
look back. When you're ready to move up to the next level, you'll know
it. But don't spin your wheels jumping around from system to system, you
waste a lot of time like that. And the desire to learn a new system can
be irresistible. They're like pretty girls. One comes along and you want
to ditch the girl you're with and try her.

marvel

> Love
>
> Crow
>

>>One thing about video editing: it's boring as hell -- and monstrously
>>time-consuming. Screenwriting is a lot more interesting. If you have a
>>creative mind, you'll be wishing you were doing something else. And
>>stick with a windows machine, there's no longer any significant
>>trade-off between it and a mac. Also, a laptop is a better investment --
>>you're mobile with a laptop. One thing about a laptop, though -- you'll
>>rarely use it on battery.
>>
>>I bought a laptop two years ago, run my business from it, and now wonder
>>why anyone would buy a desk model. There has been nothing -- absolutely
>>nothing -- that I haven't been able to do with it. And yes, you'll need
>>an external drive -- so what? They're dirt cheap these days and plug
>>right in.
>>
>>Finally, don't go bouncing around from editing system to editing system,
>>the way I did. Pick one and stay with it. Basically, they're all the same.
>>
>>My plan for make a great indie is this: I'll shoot it and let some slob
>>who doesn't have a social life edit it.
>>
>> marvel

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2004 9:00:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Thanks David,

I neglected to specify that I live in Holland, so at least some of
your options are not available to me. You've given me some food for
thought though.

Love

Crow

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 18:26:48 -0700, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu>
wrote:
> [...]
>Apple on a fluffy fleece bedspread nowadays!).
>
> Here's what I'd say, unless you're gonna keep the baby on your lap
>for long periods at a time, it's gonna be on a desk. So don't worry
>about the cool part. Battery? Tough trade-off between fast performance
>and slower processor, so you decide. Quite - they've almost all got
>fans in them nowadays, so don't bother.
>
> Finally, unless you've got the BudgetFromGod, you can't beat the
>eMachines M6809 for performance, specs, and useability for the task at
>$1600. You can easily spend the difference for a nice 3CCD DV
>Camcorder, a trip to Europe for a week, etc. and match the output from
>the other notebooks easily with less money spent.
>
> My pick? eMachines M6809 + Vegas Video (esp. at the $249.99 buy
>it now price they've got it on ebay.com for a new, unopened package
June 8, 2004 10:02:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Has anyone here actually used the emachines laptop for editing ?

I bought a number of their early desktops for the office, and the quality
was really poor. Power supplies and modems were absolutely the bottom of
the barrel. Maybe their commitment to quality has improved, but in the
absence of a real "video end-user" recommendation, I think I'll stay away
from emachines.

Steve

"David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
> [...]
> Apple on a fluffy fleece bedspread nowadays!).
>
> Here's what I'd say, unless you're gonna keep the baby on your lap
> for long periods at a time, it's gonna be on a desk. So don't worry
> about the cool part. Battery? Tough trade-off between fast performance
> and slower processor, so you decide. Quite - they've almost all got
> fans in them nowadays, so don't bother.
>
> Finally, unless you've got the BudgetFromGod, you can't beat the
> eMachines M6809 for performance, specs, and useability for the task at
> $1600. You can easily spend the difference for a nice 3CCD DV
> Camcorder, a trip to Europe for a week, etc. and match the output from
> the other notebooks easily with less money spent.
>
> My pick? eMachines M6809 + Vegas Video (esp. at the $249.99 buy
> it now price they've got it on ebay.com for a new, unopened package

June 8, 2004 10:02:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

> Has anyone here actually used the emachines laptop for editing ?
>
> I bought a number of their early desktops for the office, and the quality
> was really poor. Power supplies and modems were absolutely the bottom of
> the barrel. Maybe their commitment to quality has improved, but in the
> absence of a real "video end-user" recommendation, I think I'll stay away
> from emachines.

Ran the older M5310 for awhile and it worked fine. Their level of
support and build for the notebooks are significantly higher than their
desktops, and you really get a solid, useable system at a low price.
The wide-screen LCD was useful in laying out pallets outside the main
video displayed at full resolution, and the whole thing just ran fine
w/o fault.

They're still on sale at tigerdirect.com for about $900, and even
lower on ebay.com. A good buy for a wide-screen notebook.

(although, you can get a standard 15" LCD notebook even cheaper. eg.
Bestbuy.com recently had the Toshiba A45-S120 for about $649 after
rebates. Microcenter.com has clearance low-end 2.8Ghz Celeron notebooks
for as low as $610. (dont' forget to apply for their VISA card and get
another $100 off in rebates) And they also have sales on most of their
notebooks this month.)

---

Thinking about it, even if you did buy the Toshiba A45 notebook on
sale recently and dropped in a $20 Firewire PCMCIA card, you can easily
and happily edit videos w/o a problem on a <$700 total package price
notebook. Honestly, there wouldn't be any problems short of the usual
limited HD space (40GB on this model), and you certainly wouldn't be
troubled by too slow of a laptop (2.8Ghz after all).

sometimes, we forget how fast computers come out and they're always
faster and better than last year's models....they've really gotten to
the point where even the cheapest new notebook can easily be put to use
editing videos...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 1:44:07 AM

monkey_monkey_camera_boy@go.com (Monkey Monkey) writes:

> I'm going to buy a combo FireWire & USB 2.0 PCMCIA card
> for my 2.4 Celeron notebook.

[...]

> Plug an external 7200 RPM hard drive into the PCMCIA card's
> USB 2.0 port and designate this *external* hard drive as the
> video capture drive in Premiere Pro. Simultaneously plug in
> my digital camcorder into the same PCMCIA card's 1394 FireWire
> port and tell the capture program to start capturing video.
>
> Would this exceed the maximum PCMCIA bandwidth [...]
> Causing dropped frames?
>
> Anybody try this before?

I do it regularly and it works fine for me.

Dan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 2:46:53 AM

Prof Marvel wrote:

> I can only speak for myself. When I finally learned to edit I was
> disappointed. It wasn't half as much fun as I thought it would be. I
> could not help thinking I could be doing something else -- shooting,
> writing script. It also seemed to me that my creative talent only came
> into play about 10% of the time, that I could have handed over the
> editing grunt-work to some worker bee type, come in after him and put my
> stamp on the thing.
>
> I really didn't like editing. Very boring.

I never really noticed this guy before the last little dustup: is he over
from the amateur groups? 'Cuz he sure is a fool.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 2:46:54 AM

Seattle Eric wrote:
> Prof Marvel wrote:
>
>> I can only speak for myself. When I finally learned to edit I was
>> disappointed. It wasn't half as much fun as I thought it would be. I
>> could not help thinking I could be doing something else -- shooting,
>> writing script. It also seemed to me that my creative talent only
>> came into play about 10% of the time, that I could have handed over
>> the editing grunt-work to some worker bee type, come in after him
>> and put my stamp on the thing.
>>
>> I really didn't like editing. Very boring.
>

> I never really noticed this guy before the last little dustup: is he
> over from the amateur groups? 'Cuz he sure is a fool.

He first showed up here in a thread titled "5 min. Corporate Video?"
(at http://tinyurl.com/2hsza if you're at all interested) where he asked:

What should I charge for a 5 min corporate video. This is all the
information I can provide at this time, so please give me the best
number you can on it.

Gives you some idea as to what he's all about.

Mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 2:55:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I'm always suspicious of folks who don't use a real name.

"Seattle Eric" <nowon@erewhon.gov> wrote in message
> Prof Marvel wrote:
>
> > I can only speak for myself. When I finally learned to edit I was
> > disappointed. It wasn't half as much fun as I thought it would be. I
> > could not help thinking I could be doing something else -- shooting,
> > writing script. It also seemed to me that my creative talent only came
> > into play about 10% of the time, that I could have handed over the
> > editing grunt-work to some worker bee type, come in after him and put my
> > stamp on the thing.
> >
> > I really didn't like editing. Very boring.
>

> I never really noticed this guy before the last little dustup: is he over
> from the amateur groups? 'Cuz he sure is a fool.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 3:16:23 AM

"Monkey Monkey" <monkey_monkey_camera_boy@go.com> a écrit dans le message
news: 79890349.0406080017.24e907e1@posting.google.com...
> I'm going to buy a combo FireWire & USB 2.0 PCMCIA card
> (single PCMCIA card with *BOTH* USB 2.0 & Firewire ports)
> for my 2.4 Celeron notebook. I want to use this card for
> editing video.
>
> The plan:
>
> Plug an external 7200 RPM hard drive into the PCMCIA card's
> USB 2.0 port and designate this *external* hard drive as the
> video capture drive in Premiere Pro. Simultaneously plug in
> my digital camcorder into the same PCMCIA card's 1394 FireWire
> port and tell the capture program to start capturing video.
>
> Would this exceed the maximum PCMCIA bandwidth by requiring
> the card to simultaneously take in 3.6 Mb per second through
> it's Firewire port while outputing the 3.6 Mb per second
> through the USB 2.0 port to the capture drive?
> Causing dropped frames?
>
> Anybody try this before? Any advice appreciated.

I have a laptop with a firewire port. As the internal HD is a little bit
small for video capturing/editing, I added 2 external HDD connected one
after the other thru firewire connectors ; at the second one, I have a Sony
DVD DVD burner and use the second port of the burner to connect the
camcorder. With this set-up I can capture, store and re-export video
on/from any HDD even make direct burning of DVD compliant stuff straight to
a DVD-R without problem. I find firewire system absolutely fantastic and
strongly recommand it for video work. To mention also that this laptop is
pretty old: 4 years and running at a modest speed of 850 MHz which very low
according to today standard nevertheless everythings works just
beautifully.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 6:03:27 AM

Mike Kujbida wrote:
>>Prof Marvel wrote:
>>
>>> that I could have handed over
>>>the editing grunt-work to some worker bee type, come in after him
>>>and put my stamp on the thing.
>>
>>I never really noticed this guy before the last little dustup: is he
>>over from the amateur groups? 'Cuz he sure is a fool.
>

> He first showed up here in a thread titled "5 min. Corporate Video?"
> (at http://tinyurl.com/2hsza if you're at all interested) where he asked:
>
> What should I charge for a 5 min corporate video. This is all the
> information I can provide at this time, so please give me the best
> number you can on it.
>
> Gives you some idea as to what he's all about.

Yeah, that and the "free teleprompter" and "cheap 'steadicam'". <YAWN>

Thanks Mike.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 10:09:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:55:34 GMT, "Steve Guidry"
<steveguidrynospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I'm always suspicious of folks who don't use a real name.

don't be... I change mine regularly when I get bored. It's bad enough
when the wrong people on the internet get your information illegally.
I'd rather not give them any more ammo.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 12:42:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:09:12 GMT, Prof Marvel
<garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

>At your point, I wouldn't even buy a camera. There surely are resources
>in Amsterdam or wherever you are that could get an affordable rental or
>free loan in your hands. You're thinking is like a million other
>newbies. And there's a million expensive vidcams sitting in closets --
>or pawn shops -- collecting dust.
>
>prof marvel

How would you know... editing is for fat monkeys. Go peddle your
scripts at Walmart (your other part time job).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 2:10:59 PM

Seattle Eric wrote:

> Prof Marvel wrote:
>
>> I can only speak for myself. When I finally learned to edit I was
>> disappointed. It wasn't half as much fun as I thought it would be. I
>> could not help thinking I could be doing something else -- shooting,
>> writing script. It also seemed to me that my creative talent only came
>> into play about 10% of the time, that I could have handed over the
>> editing grunt-work to some worker bee type, come in after him and put
>> my stamp on the thing.
>>
>> I really didn't like editing. Very boring.
>

> I never really noticed this guy before the last little dustup: is he
> over from the amateur groups? 'Cuz he sure is a fool.

Nice ad hominem attack, but do your really think it helps this thread?

or any thread, for that matter.

marvel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 2:11:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:10:59 GMT, Prof Marvel
<garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

>Seattle Eric wrote:
>
>> Prof Marvel wrote:
>>
>>> I can only speak for myself. When I finally learned to edit I was
>>> disappointed. It wasn't half as much fun as I thought it would be. I
>>> could not help thinking I could be doing something else -- shooting,
>>> writing script. It also seemed to me that my creative talent only came
>>> into play about 10% of the time, that I could have handed over the
>>> editing grunt-work to some worker bee type, come in after him and put
>>> my stamp on the thing.
>>>
>>> I really didn't like editing. Very boring.
>>

>> I never really noticed this guy before the last little dustup: is he
>> over from the amateur groups? 'Cuz he sure is a fool.
>>

>Nice ad hominem attack, but do your really think it helps this thread?
>
>or any thread, for that matter.
>
>marvel

and your response helped in what way? Nothing like a passive
agressive troll.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 2:22:36 PM

Mike Kujbida wrote:

> Seattle Eric wrote:
>
>>Prof Marvel wrote:
>>

>>>I can only speak for myself. When I finally learned to edit I was
>>>disappointed. It wasn't half as much fun as I thought it would be. I
>>>could not help thinking I could be doing something else -- shooting,
>>>writing script. It also seemed to me that my creative talent only
>>>came into play about 10% of the time, that I could have handed over
>>>the editing grunt-work to some worker bee type, come in after him
>>>and put my stamp on the thing.
>>>
>>>I really didn't like editing. Very boring.
>>

>>I never really noticed this guy before the last little dustup: is he
>>over from the amateur groups? 'Cuz he sure is a fool.
>

> He first showed up here in a thread titled "5 min. Corporate Video?"
> (at http://tinyurl.com/2hsza if you're at all interested) where he asked:
>
> What should I charge for a 5 min corporate video. This is all the
> information I can provide at this time, so please give me the best
> number you can on it.
>
> Gives you some idea as to what he's all about.
>
> Mike

Let's do a assessment here, shall we, Mike?

Two days ago I responded to something someone said in a way you
apparently did not like. Since then you've hounded me in all the video
newsgroups, alerted people at every turn to what a scoundrel I am,
called me every dirty name you could think of via anonymous remailers,
gone into the archives to drudge up more dirt to use against me, and
done everything else you can think of to censor me.

And we should expect that if you knew where I lived you'd probably send
a bomb to my house.

That's not the way to hold on to your green card, Mike Kujbida.

marvel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 2:22:37 PM

Prof Marvel wrote:
> Mike Kujbida wrote:
>
>> Seattle Eric wrote:

>>> I never really noticed this guy before the last little dustup: is he
>>> over from the amateur groups? 'Cuz he sure is a fool.
>>

>> He first showed up here in a thread titled "5 min. Corporate Video?"
>> (at http://tinyurl.com/2hsza if you're at all interested) where he
>> asked:
>>
>> What should I charge for a 5 min corporate video. This is all the
>> information I can provide at this time, so please give me the best
>> number you can on it.
>>
>> Gives you some idea as to what he's all about.
>>
>> Mike
>

> Let's do a assessment here, shall we, Mike?
>
> Two days ago I responded to something someone said in a way you
> apparently did not like. Since then you've hounded me in all the
> video newsgroups, alerted people at every turn to what a scoundrel I
> am, called me every dirty name you could think of via anonymous
> remailers, gone into the archives to drudge up more dirt to use
> against me, and done everything else you can think of to censor me.
>
> And we should expect that if you knew where I lived you'd probably
> send a bomb to my house.
>
> That's not the way to hold on to your green card, Mike Kujbida.
>
> marvel

"hounded me in all the video newsgroups"
Hounded? All 3 of them? Guilty as charged :-)

"alerted people at every turn to what a scoundrel I am"
Does the truth hurt?

"called me every dirty name you could think of "
WTF?? Where did you get that idea? Is "obnoxious" a dirty name now?

"gone into the archives to drudge up more dirt to use against me"
Once again, does the truth hurt?

"done everything else you can think of to censor me"
That I can't do. Nor do I wish to plonk you. Instead, I just want to make
folks aware of who you really are.

"And we should expect that if you knew where I lived you'd probably send a
bomb to my house"
Someone's been spending too much time writing fiction. Time to stop living
in fantasy land and come into the real world.

FWIW marvel, if you had taken a look at my (spam proofed) email address,
you'd see that it ends in a .ca extension. Even though I've worked on a
number of U.S. productions, I don't need, nor do I have any desire for, a
green card. I've been happily (and successfully) working in the video
production business in Canada (where I was born, incidentally) for over 30
years.
BTW, like a lot of other folks here, I use the german news account because I
don't like the way my own ISP handles it.

As far as making people aware of your past history, you're quite free to do
a newsgroup search on my name and check out my (generally helpful) posting
history. The only time I get upset is when people such as yourself start
flaming people right from the very first response - which you did on the 5
min. corporate video thread and again on the teleprompter thread.

On your comment on editors being slobs (quote: "My plan for make a great
indie is this: I'll shoot it and let some slob who doesn't have a social
life edit it.") and also "One thing about video editing: it's boring as
hell -- and monstrously time-consuming.", it's painfully obvious that you
have no idea what a talent it takes to be a good editor. A good editor can
make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Editing, be it film or video, is an
art just like all other aspects of ANY creative process and to have you
dismiss it the way you did shows that your mouth is bigger than your ego.

Mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 4:50:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Mike:

Speaking of (generally helpful) posts, if I don't miss my guess, you
are the same Mike Kujbida who, many many years ago, posted the brand
and model of flexible lens hood which would correctly fit the wide
angle lens for a VX-1000. If so, you certainly have my undying
thanks, as I still have and use both camcorder and lens hood.
Ungrateful wretch that I am, I never got around to thanking you at
that time.

Should it turn out that you are not that person, please delete the
above thank you from your memory banks. However, I still read posts
which bear your name, as I find them interesting, helpful, civilized
and valuable.

Cheers,

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<2io9s7Fphh1vU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Mike Kujbida wrote:

> As far as making people aware of your past history, you're quite free to do
> a newsgroup search on my name and check out my (generally helpful) posting
> history. The only time I get upset is when people such as yourself start
> flaming people right from the very first response - which you did on the 5
> min. corporate video thread and again on the teleprompter thread.

> Mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 5:03:22 PM

Mike Kujbida wrote:

> [...]
> a newsgroup search on my name and check out my (generally helpful) posting
> history. The only time I get upset is when people such as yourself start
> flaming people right from the very first response - which you did on the 5
> min. corporate video thread and again on the teleprompter thread.
>
> On your comment on editors being slobs (quote: "My plan for make a great
> indie is this: I'll shoot it and let some slob who doesn't have a social
> life edit it.") and also "One thing about video editing: it's boring as
> hell -- and monstrously time-consuming.", it's painfully obvious that you
> have no idea what a talent it takes to be a good editor. A good editor can
> make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Editing, be it film or video, is an
> art just like all other aspects of ANY creative process and to have you
> dismiss it the way you did shows that your mouth is bigger than your ego.

You're dealing in censorship, pal, and that might be ok in Canada, but
here in Usenet, it's not. You've been attacking me for the past week for
a host of perceived crimes you say I've committed. I know it's you
because when you don't sign your nick your broken English gives you away.

In any event you've more than made your case for why no one should ever
read or respond to my posts again, so why don't you let people process
this information and decide for themselves if they want to honor your
approved list of people they should read or not.

Do this, and you have my word I'll not respond to anything you post nor
try to bully people into not reading your posts.

Fair enough?

marvel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 5:05:14 PM

Jack Slopehead wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:10:59 GMT, Prof Marvel
> <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Seattle Eric wrote:

>>> I never really noticed this guy before the last little dustup: is he
>>>over from the amateur groups? 'Cuz he sure is a fool.
>>>

>>Nice ad hominem attack, but do your really think it helps this thread?
>>
>>or any thread, for that matter.
>>
>>marvel
>

> and your response helped in what way? Nothing like a passive
> agressive troll.

You're dealing in censorship, pal, and that might be ok in Canada, but
here in Usenet, it's not. You've been attacking me for the past week for
a host of perceived crimes you say I've committed. I know it's you
because when you don't sign your nick your broken English gives you away.

In any event you've more than made your case for why no one should ever
read or respond to my posts again. The readers here aren't half as dumb
as you seem to think.

So why don't you let people process this information and decide for
themselves if they want to honor your approved list of people they
should read or not?

Do this, and you have my word I'll not respond to anything you post nor
try to bully people into not reading your posts.

Fair enough?

marvel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 5:06:56 PM

Bill Fright wrote:

> Hey Marvel How'd you ever become such a dumb a*s?
>
> Just because you don't enjoy editing doesn't make it "boring as hell".
> I've been doing it for over 20 years and still love to edit. The major
> difference between now and when I started is that I produce now as well.
> All the better.
>
> I guess you are as good a screen writer as you were an editor as I see
> your name on so many movie credits. Thanks for the sending a credibility
> flare for us all to see and appreciate!
>
> bill

We're weren't talking about wedding photography.

prof marvel

> Prof Marvel wrote:
>
>> Crow wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks All,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the heads up on the difference between 4 and 6 pin firewire
>>> cables Joe as I'm new to Firewire. I'm going to pass on Macs as I
>>> have enough to learn with video editing, without learning a new OS.
>>> OS-X is tempting though.
>>>
>>> Cari, what advantage does Windows XP Media Center edition offer for
>>> video editing? They are a bit thin on the ground and probably
>>> expensive if the desktop versions are indicative.
>>>
>>> Love
>>>
>>> Crow
>>

>> One thing about video editing: it's boring as hell -- and monstrously
>> time-consuming. Screenwriting is a lot more interesting. If you have
>> a creative mind, you'll be wishing you were doing something else. And
>> stick with a windows machine, there's no longer any significant
>> trade-off between it and a mac. Also, a laptop is a better investment
>> -- you're mobile with a laptop. One thing about a laptop, though --
>> you'll rarely use it on battery.
>>
>> I bought a laptop two years ago, run my business from it, and now
>> wonder why anyone would buy a desk model. There has been nothing --
>> absolutely nothing -- that I haven't been able to do with it. And
>> yes, you'll need an external drive -- so what? They're dirt cheap
>> these days and plug right in.
>>
>> Finally, don't go bouncing around from editing system to editing
>> system, the way I did. Pick one and stay with it. Basically, they're
>> all the same.
>>
>> My plan for make a great indie is this: I'll shoot it and let some
>> slob who doesn't have a social life edit it.
>>
>> marvel

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 5:08:42 PM

Jack Slopehead wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:09:12 GMT, Prof Marvel
> <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>At your point, I wouldn't even buy a camera. There surely are resources
>>in Amsterdam or wherever you are that could get an affordable rental or
>>free loan in your hands. You're thinking is like a million other
>>newbies. And there's a million expensive vidcams sitting in closets --
>>or pawn shops -- collecting dust.
>>
>>prof marvel
>>

> How would you know... editing is for fat monkeys. Go peddle your
> scripts at Walmart (your other part time job).

You're dealing in censorship, pal, and that might be ok in Canada, but
here in Usenet, it's not. You've been attacking me for the past week for
a host of perceived crimes you say I've committed. I know it's you
because when you don't sign your nick your broken English gives you away.

In any event you've more than made your case for why no one should ever
read or respond to my posts again, so why don't you let people process
this information and decide for themselves if they want to honor your
approved list of people they should read or not.

Do this, and you have my word I'll not respond to anything you post nor
try to bully people into not reading your posts.

Fair enough?

marvel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 6:23:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You are a silly
little fool to think you aren't dealing with a few experts in
professional broadcast.

Prof Marvel wrote:

> Bill Fright wrote:
>
>> Hey Marvel How'd you ever become such a dumb a*s?
>>
>> Just because you don't enjoy editing doesn't make it "boring as hell".
>> I've been doing it for over 20 years and still love to edit. The major
>> difference between now and when I started is that I produce now as
>> well. All the better.
>>
>> I guess you are as good a screen writer as you were an editor as I see
>> your name on so many movie credits. Thanks for the sending a
>> credibility flare for us all to see and appreciate!
>>
>> bill
>

> We're weren't talking about wedding photography.
>
> prof marvel
>

>> Prof Marvel wrote:

>>> One thing about video editing: it's boring as hell -- and monstrously
>>> time-consuming. Screenwriting is a lot more interesting. If you have
>>> a creative mind, you'll be wishing you were doing something else. And
>>> stick with a windows machine, there's no longer any significant
>>> trade-off between it and a mac. Also, a laptop is a better investment
>>> -- you're mobile with a laptop. One thing about a laptop, though --
>>> you'll rarely use it on battery.
>>>
>>> I bought a laptop two years ago, run my business from it, and now
>>> wonder why anyone would buy a desk model. There has been nothing --
>>> absolutely nothing -- that I haven't been able to do with it. And
>>> yes, you'll need an external drive -- so what? They're dirt cheap
>>> these days and plug right in.
>>>
>>> Finally, don't go bouncing around from editing system to editing
>>> system, the way I did. Pick one and stay with it. Basically, they're
>>> all the same.
>>>
>>> My plan for make a great indie is this: I'll shoot it and let some
>>> slob who doesn't have a social life edit it.
>>>
>>> marvel

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 7:05:25 PM

"Prof Marvel" <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message

> I don't know who you are or what you'r issues are, but if you have a
> beef with me, start a new thread and we'll discuss it.
>
> Very inconsiderate of you to throw your temper tantrum here in a thread
> everyone seems to be enjoying.
>
> marvel

Yeah. You go trolling for a response and then act all pissy when you get
one.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 7:17:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> hell -- and monstrously time-consuming.", it's painfully obvious that you
> have no idea what a talent it takes to be a good editor. A good editor
can
> make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Editing, be it film or video, is an
> art just like all other aspects of ANY creative process and to have you
> dismiss it the way you did shows that your mouth is bigger than your ego.

<APPLAUSE> Unedited footage is pretty painful to watch, ain't it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 7:26:50 PM

"Steve Guidry" <steveguidrynospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone here actually used the emachines laptop for editing ?
>
> I bought a number of their early desktops for the office, and the quality
> was really poor. Power supplies and modems were absolutely the bottom of
> the barrel. Maybe their commitment to quality has improved, but in the
> absence of a real "video end-user" recommendation, I think I'll stay away
> from emachines.
>
> Steve

I believe eMachines have come a long way. Actually I think I read that as
far as the quality control they are one of the highest-rated producers now.
I bought my wife an eMachines for Christmas, lot of value there. The
included speakers didn't work, but eMachines quickly replaced those. It runs
circles around my computer. The only think I don't like is that is uses
onboard graphics, so I had to boost the RAM to get some programs to run, but
at 128Mb it needed a boost anyway. I've done video editing on the machine
and it runs great. The case is a little flimsy, but I don't stand on it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 7:43:28 PM

James Messick wrote:
> "Prof Marvel" <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
>

>>I don't know who you are or what you'r issues are, but if you have a
>>beef with me, start a new thread and we'll discuss it.
>>
>>Very inconsiderate of you to throw your temper tantrum here in a thread
>>everyone seems to be enjoying.
>>
>>marvel
>

> Yeah. You go trolling for a response and then act all pissy when you get
> one.

Well, that's a flat-out lie and I'm calling on it. Cite the post where
I'm "trolling for a reponse."

A few bullies wanted to incite a lynch-mob mentality and they were quite
successful with you, we see.

You know, you shouldn't let other people shape your thinking like that.
Get the facts before accusing a person of something.

Now, cite the post or retract your lie.

marvel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 8:12:37 PM

Jack Slopehead wrote:
> and your response helped in what way? Nothing like a passive
> agressive troll.

Not that it's good: there's just nothing like it.

Maybe my new version of Netscape will have working filters and I can
eradicate this "marvelous" pest.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 10:15:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"James Messick" <jmessick@triad.rr.com> wrote in

<SNIP>

> I believe eMachines have come a long way.

<SNIP>

> The case is a little flimsy, but I
> don't stand on it.

How do you reach the books on the top shelf?

Sorry (well, not really) but I couldn't resist, especially after all
the troll-related stuff in this thread.

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Thanks mikep76. I'll accept the compliment because, AFAIK, I'm the only
Mike Kujbida in North America. I know there are a few other Kujbida
families (Ukrainian name, BTW) around but we're few and far between.

Mike

mikep76 wrote:
> Mike:
>
> Speaking of (generally helpful) posts, if I don't miss my guess, you
> are the same Mike Kujbida who, many many years ago, posted the brand
> and model of flexible lens hood which would correctly fit the wide
> angle lens for a VX-1000. If so, you certainly have my undying
> thanks, as I still have and use both camcorder and lens hood.
> Ungrateful wretch that I am, I never got around to thanking you at
> that time.
>
> Should it turn out that you are not that person, please delete the
> above thank you from your memory banks. However, I still read posts
> which bear your name, as I find them interesting, helpful, civilized
> and valuable.
>
> Cheers,
>
> "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Mike Kujbida wrote:
>
>> As far as making people aware of your past history, you're quite
>> free to do a newsgroup search on my name and check out my (generally
>> helpful) posting history. The only time I get upset is when people
>> such as yourself start flaming people right from the very first
>> response - which you did on the 5 min. corporate video thread and
>> again on the teleprompter thread.
>
>> Mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 11:52:48 PM

Prof Marvel wrote:

> huge snip <
>
> You're dealing in censorship, pal, and that might be ok in Canada, but
> here in Usenet, it's not. You've been attacking me for the past week
> for a host of perceived crimes you say I've committed. I know it's you
> because when you don't sign your nick your broken English gives you
> away.
>
> In any event you've more than made your case for why no one should
> ever read or respond to my posts again, so why don't you let people
> process this information and decide for themselves if they want to
> honor your approved list of people they should read or not.
>
> Do this, and you have my word I'll not respond to anything you post
> nor try to bully people into not reading your posts.
>
> Fair enough?
>
> marvel

I have no idea whether it's me your attacking or someone else as you sent
the same message 3 different times.
In any event, I'm not trying to censor you in any way, shape or form.
All I'm doing is making people aware of your past posting history, just like
I have with others. It's their choice whether they pay attention to me or
you.

If you agree to lose the attitude, I for one will be quite happy.
Some of your comments on this thread have been quite good - but then you
slip into your old habits again and you lose all credibility.

BTW, where did "I know it's you because when you don't sign your nick your
broken English gives you away." come from?
I always sign with "Mike" and I venture to say that my English is far from
broken.

Mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 10, 2004 12:25:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:05:14 GMT, Prof Marvel
<garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

>> and your response helped in what way? Nothing like a passive
>> agressive troll.
>>

>You're dealing in censorship, pal, and that might be ok in Canada, but
>here in Usenet, it's not. You've been attacking me for the past week for
>a host of perceived crimes you say I've committed. I know it's you
>because when you don't sign your nick your broken English gives you away.

>marvel

you aren't too bright, Marvel boy. I'm not from Canada. Make sure
you know who you're replying to instead of sending out trolling
idiot than you already are.

Fair enough? Gimp.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 10, 2004 1:25:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:06:56 GMT, Prof Marvel
<garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

>Bill Fright wrote:
>
>> Hey Marvel How'd you ever become such a dumb a*s?
>>
>> Just because you don't enjoy editing doesn't make it "boring as hell".
>> I've been doing it for over 20 years and still love to edit. The major
>> difference between now and when I started is that I produce now as well.
>> All the better.
>>
>> I guess you are as good a screen writer as you were an editor as I see
>> your name on so many movie credits. Thanks for the sending a credibility
>> flare for us all to see and appreciate!
>>
>> bill
>

>We're weren't talking about wedding photography.
>
>prof marvel

your lack of anything useful to say leads us to believe otherwise.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 10, 2004 1:26:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:43:28 GMT, Prof Marvel
<garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

>Well, that's a flat-out lie and I'm calling on it. Cite the post where
>I'm "trolling for a reponse."
>
>A few bullies wanted to incite a lynch-mob mentality and they were quite
>successful with you, we see.
>
>You know, you shouldn't let other people shape your thinking like that.
>Get the facts before accusing a person of something.
>
>Now, cite the post or retract your lie.
>
>marvel

and if I don't retract?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 10, 2004 4:07:06 AM

Bill Fright wrote:

> This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You are a silly
> little fool to think you aren't dealing with a few experts in
> professional broadcast.

There may be some professionals here, Bill, but you're not one of them.

prof marvel

> Prof Marvel wrote:
>
>> Bill Fright wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Marvel How'd you ever become such a dumb a*s?
>>>
>>> Just because you don't enjoy editing doesn't make it "boring as
>>> hell". I've been doing it for over 20 years and still love to edit.
>>> The major difference between now and when I started is that I produce
>>> now as well. All the better.
>>>
>>> I guess you are as good a screen writer as you were an editor as I
>>> see your name on so many movie credits. Thanks for the sending a
>>> credibility flare for us all to see and appreciate!
>>>
>>> bill
>>

>> We're weren't talking about wedding photography.
>>
>> prof marvel

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 10, 2004 8:33:36 AM

> James Messick wrote:
> > "Prof Marvel" <garee_remove_@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> >

> >>I don't know who you are or what you'r issues are, but if you have a
> >>beef with me, start a new thread and we'll discuss it.
> >>
> >>Very inconsiderate of you to throw your temper tantrum here in a thread
> >>everyone seems to be enjoying.
> >>
> >>marvel
> >

> > Yeah. You go trolling for a response and then act all pissy when you get
> > one.
> >

> Well, that's a flat-out lie and I'm calling on it. Cite the post where
> I'm "trolling for a reponse."
>
> A few bullies wanted to incite a lynch-mob mentality and they were quite
> successful with you, we see.
>
> You know, you shouldn't let other people shape your thinking like that.
> Get the facts before accusing a person of something.
>
> Now, cite the post or retract your lie.
>
> marvel

Nope. I haven't been following this thread and was not familiar with anyone
named "Professor Marvel" before today. I just read your original post, saw
you insulting people who edit video (obviously there will be a lot of those
here) and said to myself "this guy's asking for it." Only after I posted my
response did I see how much flaming was going on.

I've heard that once a thread begins to deginerate like this that it's only
a matter of time until someone starts calling his opponent a nazi. Let's
just say that we've reached that point, as nothing really useful is coming
from this.

Hail!
!