boo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

We want to take our laptop on vacation and need to download a few dvd movies.
How do I load them onto our laptop hard drive?

Go to www.dvdshrink.org and download that software. That will decrypt the
movie so they can be transfered to your computer. It will also shrink the
file size to fit on a 4.7 blank DVD disk. Most DVD's that you rent/buy are
around 7.5 GB. It will create a VIDEO_TS folder and you'll just have to
double-click the files in there to watch the movie. To make it easier to
view, there's an option in that program to "split" files into 1GB chucks.
Uncheck that, b/c if you don't the movie will most likely be in 4 or 5
seperate files and you'll have to click each one to view different parts of
the movie. By the way, you'll need a lot of hard drive space for those
movies. Remember 1 movie will be around 4.7 GB. But here's another
question. Why do you want to load them on your hard drive? To even do that
you'll need a DVD player in your computer, and if you have one, why not just
take the movies and save time, trouble, and space and just put the disk in?
W.D.

"boo" <boo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We want to take our laptop on vacation and need to download a few dvd
> movies.
> How do I load them onto our laptop hard drive?

you need to use a portable hard drive.
or you could simply burn them on to a dvd.
dvds are not very expensive writers about £40.00- $54 dollers.
and discs cost about 10p.
get a shrinking program such as dvd shrink.
thanks...

"boo" wrote:

> We want to take our laptop on vacation and need to download a few dvd movies.
> How do I load them onto our laptop hard drive?

I found out about DVD Shrink a month ago and it's great! But I didn't know
about the "split" feature.....thanks!
--
brentromero

"W.D. Parker" wrote:

> Go to www.dvdshrink.org and download that software. That will decrypt the
> movie so they can be transfered to your computer. It will also shrink the
> file size to fit on a 4.7 blank DVD disk. Most DVD's that you rent/buy are
> around 7.5 GB. It will create a VIDEO_TS folder and you'll just have to
> double-click the files in there to watch the movie. To make it easier to
> view, there's an option in that program to "split" files into 1GB chucks.
> Uncheck that, b/c if you don't the movie will most likely be in 4 or 5
> seperate files and you'll have to click each one to view different parts of
> the movie. By the way, you'll need a lot of hard drive space for those
> movies. Remember 1 movie will be around 4.7 GB. But here's another
> question. Why do you want to load them on your hard drive? To even do that
> you'll need a DVD player in your computer, and if you have one, why not just
> take the movies and save time, trouble, and space and just put the disk in?
> W.D.
>
> "boo" <boo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We want to take our laptop on vacation and need to download a few dvd
> > movies.
> > How do I load them onto our laptop hard drive?

DarkKnight

i would use either DVD shrink or DVD decrypter to rip the movies to your
hard drive and then use a program like Dr DIVX to convert them to divx
files, an average movie of good quality would then take up about 700mb
on your hard drive. you can the ndelete the original ripped movie to
save space. If you have a Cd burner you could just place these files on
CD's and play them on your PC from their.