Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mainconcept Mpeg encoder and Xvid problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 2:11:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hiya folks, I am currently using Mainconcepts Mpeg encoder standalone
version 1.4.2 to convert Divx to DVD ready Mpegs, and the program works
flawlessly. However, when converting Xvid videos, Mainconcept will bomb -
IE when I start the conversion and come back in an hour, Mainconcept is no
longer running, and the generated Mpeg is a fraction of what it should be
(700MBytes to 2 Gbytes or so, when it should be 4.3GB) Obviously, when
viewing the Mpeg it is nowhere near complete. There is nothing in the
event viewer about what happened. I am running Win2k with NTFS partitions
and 40GB of disk space is free. I have the latest Xvid decoder installed,
and trying earlier versions results in the same behavior. I don't know if
it matters, but I'm running a P4 2.8GHz 1GB DDR400 memory in a 865 dual
channel configuration.

Has anyone else seen this problem, or does anyone have any ideas on what
might be wrong?

Thanks!
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 7:07:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Steve R. wrote:

> Hiya folks, I am currently using Mainconcepts Mpeg encoder standalone
> version 1.4.2 to convert Divx to DVD ready Mpegs, and the program works
> flawlessly. However, when converting Xvid videos, Mainconcept will bomb -
> IE when I start the conversion and come back in an hour, Mainconcept is no
> longer running, and the generated Mpeg is a fraction of what it should be
> (700MBytes to 2 Gbytes or so, when it should be 4.3GB) Obviously, when
> viewing the Mpeg it is nowhere near complete. There is nothing in the
> event viewer about what happened. I am running Win2k with NTFS partitions
> and 40GB of disk space is free. I have the latest Xvid decoder installed,
> and trying earlier versions results in the same behavior. I don't know if
> it matters, but I'm running a P4 2.8GHz 1GB DDR400 memory in a 865 dual
> channel configuration.


I haven't used the Mainconcept encoder that you're talking about, but
perhaps you can open the file through avisynth. That way, the fact
that the video is XVID is totally transparent to Mainconcept. A
one-liner AVS script should suffice:

AVISource("<full_path_to_video_file>")


-WD
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 11:31:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

> AVISource("<full_path_to_video_file>")

Yep, and if that doesn't work, then this should...

DirectShowSource("<full_path_to_video_file>")
Related resources
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 5:55:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 07:31:16 +1000 "Damien Smith" <guest@anon.com> wrote in
Message id: <2ik556Fo6a53U1@uni-berlin.de>:

>> AVISource("<full_path_to_video_file>")


Thank you both for your responses, but I guess I just don't get it. After
the install, shouldn't there be an executable named avisource.com or .exe?

It looks like to me, that this avisource program will filter the original
AVI to a file that Mainconcept will not have a problem with, am I assuming
correct?

>Yep, and if that doesn't work, then this should...
>
>DirectShowSource("<full_path_to_video_file>")

I'll try that one next. Thanks again!
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 6:00:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 07:31:16 +1000 "Damien Smith" <guest@anon.com> wrote in
Message id: <2ik556Fo6a53U1@uni-berlin.de>:

>> AVISource("<full_path_to_video_file>")
>
>Yep, and if that doesn't work, then this should...
>
>DirectShowSource("<full_path_to_video_file>")
>

BTW, will both those programs handle the audio as well, and if so, even
AC3 support?
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 9:55:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Steve R. wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 07:31:16 +1000 "Damien Smith" <guest@anon.com> wrote in
> Message id: <2ik556Fo6a53U1@uni-berlin.de>:
>
>
>>>AVISource("<full_path_to_video_file>")
>
>
>
> Thank you both for your responses, but I guess I just don't get it. After
> the install, shouldn't there be an executable named avisource.com or .exe?

I said to make a one-line AVS script with the above line.
Make it with notepad or whatever text editor you like.
Make sure the extension of the file is AVS.
That file can be treated like an AVI.

> It looks like to me, that this avisource program will filter the original
> AVI to a file that Mainconcept will not have a problem with, am I assuming
> correct?

Pretty much.


-WD
!