CPU not equipped for certain cable

May 23, 2005 10:28:02 PM

I needed to be able to load edited videos back onto my Digital Video Camera.
I wasn't able to with my USB cable, so when I trouble-shooted (trouble-shot?)
I found out that I needed an IEEE 1349 cable, which would not only allow me
to copy videos back onto my DVC but also burn them to DVD's right off my DVC.
Naturally, I assumed that my computer would have a plug in or whatever for
this cable, so I went and bought one ( forty bucks!) I got home, attached it
to my camera, flipped the CPU around and found that there is no place to plug
this in at. Why isn't my computer equipped for this? Is there anything I
can buy to adapt this?

More about : cpu equipped cable

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:30:52 AM

*lol* Yes you need to buy a 1394 (not 1349) Firewire card and install it in
your computer. It's about $35 dollars. Then you can hook it up to your
computer.
W.D.

"catj8807" <catj8807@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I needed to be able to load edited videos back onto my Digital Video
>Camera.
> I wasn't able to with my USB cable, so when I trouble-shooted
> (trouble-shot?)
> I found out that I needed an IEEE 1349 cable, which would not only allow
> me
> to copy videos back onto my DVC but also burn them to DVD's right off my
> DVC.
> Naturally, I assumed that my computer would have a plug in or whatever for
> this cable, so I went and bought one ( forty bucks!) I got home, attached
> it
> to my camera, flipped the CPU around and found that there is no place to
> plug
> this in at. Why isn't my computer equipped for this? Is there anything I
> can buy to adapt this?
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:45:28 PM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:28:02 -0700, "catj8807"
<catj8807@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I needed to be able to load edited videos back onto my Digital Video Camera.
>I wasn't able to with my USB cable, so when I trouble-shooted (trouble-shot?)
>I found out that I needed an IEEE 1349 cable, which would not only allow me
>to copy videos back onto my DVC but also burn them to DVD's right off my DVC.
> Naturally, I assumed that my computer would have a plug in or whatever for
>this cable, so I went and bought one ( forty bucks!) I got home, attached it
>to my camera, flipped the CPU around and found that there is no place to plug
>this in at. Why isn't my computer equipped for this? Is there anything I
>can buy to adapt this?

Some sound cards, such as newer Creative sound cards, and some ATI
video cards, have Firewire ports built in. Otherwise, you will have
to purchase and install a PCI card which has one or more onboard
Firewire ports.
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that others may be instructed or informed
May 24, 2005 7:03:03 PM

Why it hasn't got one is something you need to take up with the pc
manufacturer, you now need to buy a firewire card and put it in a pci slot
inside the pc.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"catj8807" <catj8807@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I needed to be able to load edited videos back onto my Digital Video
>Camera.
> I wasn't able to with my USB cable, so when I trouble-shooted
> (trouble-shot?)
> I found out that I needed an IEEE 1349 cable, which would not only allow
> me
> to copy videos back onto my DVC but also burn them to DVD's right off my
> DVC.
> Naturally, I assumed that my computer would have a plug in or whatever for
> this cable, so I went and bought one ( forty bucks!) I got home, attached
> it
> to my camera, flipped the CPU around and found that there is no place to
> plug
> this in at. Why isn't my computer equipped for this? Is there anything I
> can buy to adapt this?
May 25, 2005 2:07:10 PM

and chances are that the new card will already come with a cable

!