What Is Pinnacle Doing When I Trim AVI's??

It says it's rendering but it shouldn't be, right?

If all I'm doing it Cutting stuff off the beginning and ends, with no
transitions and color-correction, etc

It takes like 10 minutes to process an 1 hour avi, this is too fast
were it actually rendering isn't it?

I kept saving to avi, going to the new file, trimming again, saving
again, etc, until i went thru 8 generations

well i sure couldn't tell the difference from the quality of the
original file, so I'm convinced it is not really rendering..

Thanks,

STRATEGY

should not be rendering unless you actually create layers or transitions.
Cuts only should yield no renders since DV is compressed per frame.
"Bay Way 41510" <ikeyp510@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> It says it's rendering but it shouldn't be, right?
>
> If all I'm doing it Cutting stuff off the beginning and ends, with no
> transitions and color-correction, etc
>
> It takes like 10 minutes to process an 1 hour avi, this is too fast
> were it actually rendering isn't it?
>
> I kept saving to avi, going to the new file, trimming again, saving
> again, etc, until i went thru 8 generations
>
> well i sure couldn't tell the difference from the quality of the
> original file, so I'm convinced it is not really rendering..
>

> Thanks,
>
> STRATEGY

Susan

ikeyp510@yahoo.com (Bay Way 41510) wrote:

>It says it's rendering but it shouldn't be, right?
>
>If all I'm doing it Cutting stuff off the beginning and ends, with no
>transitions and color-correction, etc
>
>It takes like 10 minutes to process an 1 hour avi, this is too fast
>were it actually rendering isn't it?
>
>I kept saving to avi, going to the new file, trimming again, saving
>again, etc, until i went thru 8 generations
>
>well i sure couldn't tell the difference from the quality of the
>original file, so I'm convinced it is not really rendering..
>

>Thanks,
>
>STRATEGY

It sounds as if you're confusing the terms "render" and "encode."

If you change video from one form to another, it has to be rendered,
even if that form seemingly is the same as the original. After all,
what you are really asking Studio to do is to read a group of markers
in its project file and re-create bit by bit the data into a new file

If you change data from one codec or one sub-set of a codec to
another, it has to be both rendered and encoded.

Studio uses what is called "smart rendering" if you are simply copying
all or parts of one file to another, BUT, it is still rendering. If
you don't change codecs or make edits that require recoding, Studio
will use smart rendering. If you make edits that require recoding
(such as transitions, titles, filters, effects, audio changes, etc.),
Studio will use a combination of smart rendering and encoding.

For example, you capture some DV footage and it ends up having 20
scenes. You place all 20 scenes on your project line and "burn" it to
a new DV file with a new name, in a new location, etc. This footage
must be rendered to the new file, even though you could have done the
same thing by simply copying your original DV file. HOWEVER, it is
not recoded, because you have not changed the code of the data.

Now, lets say you select five random scenes and put them on the
project line and "burn" a new file. Again, smart rendering and NO
encoding, even though you have "edited" the original DV footage.

Final example, you take your last project and put transitions between
the scenes and add a title and some music. This time Studio must
re-encode all those changed sections so that they form new segments of
DV footage. It becomes confusing because Studio and most programs use
the term "rendering" to cover that recoding. THEN, Studio combines
all those various segments of DV footage into your new file. All of
the footage that was affected by transitions or titles are recoded,
then all the segments, both unchanged and changed are "rendered" into
a new file.

So, Studio, like every other editing program must "render" to form a
new file, but, it will only re-code if you have made intrusive edits,
or if you change from one codec to another.

Smart rendering is the greatest advancement in computer editing in the
last decade. Only a few years ago, editing programs had to re-code
everything, even straight cuts! Now, only footage changed by
intrusive edits need to be re-coded.

Hope this helps,

Susan

On 7 Jun 2004 16:37:28 -0700, ikeyp510@yahoo.com (Bay Way 41510)
wrote:

>It takes like 10 minutes to process an 1 hour avi, this is too fast
>were it actually rendering isn't it?

I guess so, but if it's just for trimming perhaps you should use
VirtualDub, which guarantees you "Direct stream copy" in the fastest
fashion.

Susan <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<tupac01rqtj095t07ri2h0a112rg5et923@4ax.com>...
> ikeyp510@yahoo.com (Bay Way 41510) wrote:
>
> >It says it's rendering but it shouldn't be, right?

(snip)

Susan:

thanks a lot, that was a great explanation!

STRATEGY

> [...]
> re-encode all those changed sections so that they form new segments of
> DV footage. It becomes confusing because Studio and most programs use
> the term "rendering" to cover that recoding. THEN, Studio combines
> all those various segments of DV footage into your new file. All of
> the footage that was affected by transitions or titles are recoded,
> then all the segments, both unchanged and changed are "rendered" into
> a new file.
>
> So, Studio, like every other editing program must "render" to form a
> new file, but, it will only re-code if you have made intrusive edits,
> or if you change from one codec to another.
>
> Smart rendering is the greatest advancement in computer editing in the
> last decade. Only a few years ago, editing programs had to re-code
> everything, even straight cuts! Now, only footage changed by

Rendering prepares uncompressed frames form your timeline where new frames
need to be generated. Anytime any filters or effects or anything is added to
a frame that changes the data in that frame a render occurs and generates a
full frame of data which can then be passed to an encoder, or the COMPRESSOR
part of the codec. While there are uncompressed 'codecs' the term refers to
COmpressor/DECompressor. Which is essentiallly a device which compresses the
data in frames to any one of a million standards..

If we never needed to actually compress large data sets like movies.. we
would never need codecs. Encoders, perhaps.. .I differentiate between Codecs
and encoders as they are different. While codecs can contain encoders,
encoding is a term that refers to preparing a data set for any particular
decoder. Not necessarily a decompressor.