Advantage of USB 2.0

I have read that theoretically the USB 2.0 has a transfer rate advantage
of 40 times
that of USB 1.0. Does anyone have any experience with this in regards
to loading
pictures from a digital camera into a USB 2.0 port of a computer? Is
the transfer
significantly faster? I am interested in the Olympus Ultra Zoom
Cameras, but they
only support USB 1.0, and so I hesitate to buy now but wait until they
upgrade
these cameras to USB 2.0 capabilities.
Also, I am concerned about the proprietary Lithium batteries in the
newer model
Ultra Zooms. Do they deliver enough power, as compared to the earlier
models
that used AA cells?

Sherwin D.
3 answers Last reply
More about advantage

    "sherwindu" <sherwindu@comcast.net> wrote in message news:41BBEAFB.980F1463@comcast.net...
    > I have read that theoretically the USB 2.0 has a transfer rate advantage
    > of 40 times
    > that of USB 1.0. Does anyone have any experience with this in regards
    > to loading
    > pictures from a digital camera into a USB 2.0 port of a computer? Is
    > the transfer
    > significantly faster? I am interested in the Olympus Ultra Zoom
    > Cameras, but they
    > only support USB 1.0, and so I hesitate to buy now but wait until they
    > upgrade
    > these cameras to USB 2.0 capabilities.
    > Also, I am concerned about the proprietary Lithium batteries in the
    > newer model
    > Ultra Zooms. Do they deliver enough power, as compared to the earlier
    > models
    > that used AA cells?

    USB capability of the camera shouldn't be a deciding factor.
    For around $20 you can pick up a USB 2.0 card reader,
    and use that to transfer image data to your computer.

    As for the lithium batteries, they're superior in almost every
    respect to regular AA's.

    Thanks for both replies. I agree that batteries and USB are secondary items
    in deciding on a camera purchase.
    However, I was focusing in on the Olympus series Ultra Zoom cameras, trying
    to decide to pick up an older
    style 750 with AA's or the newer 765's or 770's with the lithium batteries.
    Keeping spare lithium's can be
    expensive, and you can always find AA's, if you are out somewhere on
    vacation.

    All that said, I like the fact that the lithium batteries keep the camera
    size down significantly, so that you can slip
    those models into your pocket. On the USB issue, the card reader gives me
    more options, but I was thinking
    that next year, Olympus might come out with a new model Ultra Zoom with USB
    2.0, so if I am not
    in a hurry, that will be worth waiting for. Also, if the market goes more
    heavily to
    5 megapixel models, the price of the current 4 megapixel cameras should come
    down.

    Sherwin D.

    sherwindu wrote:

    > I have read that theoretically the USB 2.0 has a transfer rate advantage
    > of 40 times
    > that of USB 1.0. Does anyone have any experience with this in regards
    > to loading
    > pictures from a digital camera into a USB 2.0 port of a computer? Is
    > the transfer
    > significantly faster? I am interested in the Olympus Ultra Zoom
    > Cameras, but they
    > only support USB 1.0, and so I hesitate to buy now but wait until they
    > upgrade
    > these cameras to USB 2.0 capabilities.
    > Also, I am concerned about the proprietary Lithium batteries in the
    > newer model
    > Ultra Zooms. Do they deliver enough power, as compared to the earlier
    > models
    > that used AA cells?
    >
    > Sherwin D.

    That I know of, no camera coming out with USB 1 has been upgraded afterwards
    to USB 2.
    Don't hold your breath waiting, unless you mean a new Olympus model
    altogether?
    RoJ

    On the USB issue, the card reader gives me more options, but I was
    thinking that next year,
    Olympus might come out with a new model Ultra Zoom with USB 2.0, so if I am
    not in a hurry,
    that will be worth waiting for.

Cameras USB Peripherals