Can the JVC SR-VS30EK dub from NTSC->miniDV? (UK-based)

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I've got some NTSC VHS cassettes I need to transfer to miniDV using
the JVC SR-VS30EK unit (SVHS and MiniDV in one unit). I know it's
capable of playing NTSC (outputs to TV just fine), but it seems to
have serious problems dubbing a NTSC cassette to miniDV for some
reason. If I use a PAL format VHS, the dub works fine. With NTSC,
though, the resulting miniDV output is horribly distorted. It's
distorted to the point where it doesn't even play back properly -- the
playback timer jumps around, pauses, etc.

Strangely, the miniDV recorder actually SOUNDS strange when it's
trying to dub from NTSC. Normally, it's very quiet.. but when I try
to copy NTSC, the miniDV recorder makes slight crackling/clicking
sounds. Very strange..

The product link is:
http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/prod/item/index_html?item=SR-VS30EK

It seems to be a pretty high-end product.. I'm baffled as to why it
can play NTSC but not record it to miniDV. Anyone have any ideas?

bluecalx wrote:

> I've got some NTSC VHS cassettes I need to transfer to miniDV using
> the JVC SR-VS30EK unit (SVHS and MiniDV in one unit). I know it's
> capable of playing NTSC (outputs to TV just fine), but it seems to
> have serious problems dubbing a NTSC cassette to miniDV for some
> reason. If I use a PAL format VHS, the dub works fine. With NTSC,
> though, the resulting miniDV output is horribly distorted. It's
> distorted to the point where it doesn't even play back properly -- the
> playback timer jumps around, pauses, etc.
>
> Strangely, the miniDV recorder actually SOUNDS strange when it's
> trying to dub from NTSC. Normally, it's very quiet.. but when I try
> to copy NTSC, the miniDV recorder makes slight crackling/clicking
> sounds. Very strange..
>
> The product link is:
> http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/prod/item/index_html?item=SR-VS30EK
>
> It seems to be a pretty high-end product.. I'm baffled as to why it
> can play NTSC but not record it to miniDV. Anyone have any ideas?

Possibility number 1: it's 'cause the player probably doesn't output a
real NTSC Signal, but instead a sort of pseudo-pal, which plays OK on
your TV, but isn't recognised by the MiniDV recording deck.

Possibility number 2: the miniDV deck isn't capable of recording in
NTSC. Did you check that?

HTH

Mark

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:49:38 GMT, Mark Morreau
<mark@mediacircus.biz.invalid> wrote:

>bluecalx wrote:
>
>> I've got some NTSC VHS cassettes I need to transfer to miniDV using
>> the JVC SR-VS30EK unit (SVHS and MiniDV in one unit). I know it's
>> capable of playing NTSC (outputs to TV just fine), but it seems to
>> have serious problems dubbing a NTSC cassette to miniDV for some
>> reason. If I use a PAL format VHS, the dub works fine. With NTSC,
>> though, the resulting miniDV output is horribly distorted. It's
>> distorted to the point where it doesn't even play back properly -- the
>> playback timer jumps around, pauses, etc.
>>
>> Strangely, the miniDV recorder actually SOUNDS strange when it's
>> trying to dub from NTSC. Normally, it's very quiet.. but when I try
>> to copy NTSC, the miniDV recorder makes slight crackling/clicking
>> sounds. Very strange..
>>
>> The product link is:
>> http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/prod/item/index_html?item=SR-VS30EK
>>
>> It seems to be a pretty high-end product.. I'm baffled as to why it
>> can play NTSC but not record it to miniDV. Anyone have any ideas?
>

>Possibility number 1: it's 'cause the player probably doesn't output a
>real NTSC Signal, but instead a sort of pseudo-pal, which plays OK on
>your TV, but isn't recognised by the MiniDV recording deck.
>
>Possibility number 2: the miniDV deck isn't capable of recording in
>NTSC. Did you check that?

Both good questions. I hadn't considered that it might be kind of
"faking" the NTSC signal like that. I had assumed that if it could
play NTSC, it could convert it to a proper PAL signal inside the
machine and record to miniDV as such. Maybe it can't. Nuts.

Thanks for the response! I emailed JVC about it and I expect a
response from them sometime in the next decade (maybe).