Newbie video capture questions

I want to transfer a bunch of Video 8 (camera) tapes to Video CD for both
convenience and permanence reasons. My camera has analog output only.

From reading this newsgroup, it seems I should stay away from USB 2 capture
cards. Though lots of reputable manufacturers seem to have moved to USB 2
(Belkin, Hauppauge).

PCMCIA is good for me (laptop is convenient), but I'll go with PCI if
necessary.

Basic questions:

1. The PCMCIA cards I've looked at talk about 30 fps at 320 x 240
resolution. That seems very small. Is that really the right resolution to
capture my Video 8 tapes? Is 30 fps fast enough?

2. A quick calculation tells me this is about 2.3 Mbytes per second with 256
colours, or 4.6 Mbytes per second with 65536 colours. What speed,
resolution and colour depth would I need to achieve my goal?
(Trying to figure how much disk space I need.)

3. Am I wasting my time, or can I do this for around $50 to $100?

4. The Hauppauge USB Live II claims CIF 352 x 288 at 30 fps. Is this what I
want (even though it's USB)?

Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about newbie video capture questions

    > I want to transfer a bunch of Video 8 (camera) tapes to Video CD for both
    > convenience and permanence reasons. My camera has analog output only.
    >
    > From reading this newsgroup, it seems I should stay away from USB 2
    capture
    > cards. Though lots of reputable manufacturers seem to have moved to USB 2
    > (Belkin, Hauppauge).

    Yes, stay away from USB(2)

    > PCMCIA is good for me (laptop is convenient), but I'll go with PCI if
    > necessary.

    PCMCIA sounds scary to me. Go for PCI.

    > Basic questions:
    >
    > 1. The PCMCIA cards I've looked at talk about 30 fps at 320 x 240
    > resolution. That seems very small. Is that really the right resolution
    > capture my Video 8 tapes? Is 30 fps fast enough?

    NTSC is 30fps, so yes that's fats enough. However, since your video is most
    likely interlaced, I wouldn't recommend you capture to VCD (352x240), but
    instead go for SVCD (480x480) as this format supports interlace. DVD burners
    are also dirt-cheap these days, so why not go for this option instead?
    352x480 offers an excellent compromise between size and quality, and is
    legal DVD spec.

    > 2. A quick calculation tells me this is about 2.3 Mbytes per second with
    256
    > colours, or 4.6 Mbytes per second with 65536 colours. What speed,
    > resolution and colour depth would I need to achieve my goal?
    > (Trying to figure how much disk space I need.)

    If you use a card withouy hardware compression, you would need quite a lot
    of HD space. You can grab in several chunks, but anything less that 40gb
    really isn't recommended. It is possible, though. I used to do video editing
    on a P200 with 10mb HD space.

    > 3. Am I wasting my time, or can I do this for around $50 to $100?

    You can pick up a good capture card for well below $100. I use a Hauppauge
    WinTV, which I paid around $40 for, and there are quite a few other brands
    out there at similar prices.

    > 4. The Hauppauge USB Live II claims CIF 352 x 288 at 30 fps. Is this what
    > want (even though it's USB)?

    It would be 352x240 at 30fps for NTSC. 352x288 at 25fps is PAL. You can use
    those resolutions for VCD, but like I said, you are better off going for an
    interlaced format, or your video will look rubbish, and you will need a
    capture device that has a higher resolution than that.

    > I used to do video editing
    > on a P200 with 10mb HD space.

    Correction: 10gb :-)

Tuner Cards Video Capture Video Graphics