Tape to Digital

I have a Sony CCD-TR516E Handycam, it was lost for about a year but I
found it again. Anyway, I'd like to transfer the tapes to something
like avi or mpeg format. I'd prefer avi but whatever is available. Is
there some equipment I can buy to transfer it? Nothing too expensive,
its only for personal use.

On 9 Jun 2004 12:57:25 -0700, tisl@tisl.cx (Sir Tisl) wrote:

>I have a Sony CCD-TR516E Handycam, it was lost for about a year but I
>found it again. Anyway, I'd like to transfer the tapes to something
>like avi or mpeg format. I'd prefer avi but whatever is available. Is
>there some equipment I can buy to transfer it? Nothing too expensive,
>its only for personal use.

A Canopus ADVC-100 is an excellent choice. You can get it for $260 in
some places.

Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
I have no fears in life,
for I have already survived Theta-G!

I can second the Canopus ADVT-100 having had a good experience with it. It
is simple to set up using its firewire connection, which most modern
computers have, and is uncomplicated to use. The audio synch feature it has
is invaluable.

The price might be a little sticky for you but look out for cheaper
alternatives like USB devices. They may be too slow to give you a good
bitrate - essential in capturing quality movie video. I wasted money when I
tried an $80 USB analog-to-digital capture device - and ended up with
unusable jerky dark pictures. Denzil.

============

"Neil Nadelman" <arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)> wrote in message
> On 9 Jun 2004 12:57:25 -0700, tisl@tisl.cx (Sir Tisl) wrote:
>
> >I have a Sony CCD-TR516E Handycam, it was lost for about a year but I
> >found it again. Anyway, I'd like to transfer the tapes to something
> >like avi or mpeg format. I'd prefer avi but whatever is available. Is
> >there some equipment I can buy to transfer it? Nothing too expensive,
> >its only for personal use.
>
> A Canopus ADVC-100 is an excellent choice. You can get it for $260 in
> some places.

> Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
> I have no fears in life,
> for I have already survived Theta-G!

Well, I checked out the Canopus ADVT-100 and the Canopus ADVC-100. No
results for the ADVT-100, I did however find something about the
ADVC-100. It seems great, even though it might be a bit pricey, at
least it works well. The only problem is that I built my own PC, and
really there aren't a lot of people making hardware that uses a
Firewire port. So, I didn't put one in (I do however have 8 USB 2.0
ports heh.) I'll try to find a switch or something like that, if not
I'll just put in a Firewire port. But just a last question, I'm not
going to need anything extra right? Just the camera (Hi8) with the
tape inside, the ADVC-100, and my PC?

Thanks

"Denzil Hathway" <hathway@cox.net> wrote in message news:<P3%xc.30346$My6.5185@fed1read05>...
> I can second the Canopus ADVT-100 having had a good experience with it. It
> is simple to set up using its firewire connection, which most modern
> computers have, and is uncomplicated to use. The audio synch feature it has
> is invaluable.
>
> The price might be a little sticky for you but look out for cheaper
> alternatives like USB devices. They may be too slow to give you a good
> bitrate - essential in capturing quality movie video. I wasted money when I
> tried an $80 USB analog-to-digital capture device - and ended up with
> unusable jerky dark pictures. Denzil.
>
> ============
>

> "Neil Nadelman" <arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)> wrote in message
> > On 9 Jun 2004 12:57:25 -0700, tisl@tisl.cx (Sir Tisl) wrote:
> >
> > >I have a Sony CCD-TR516E Handycam, it was lost for about a year but I
> > >found it again. Anyway, I'd like to transfer the tapes to something
> > >like avi or mpeg format. I'd prefer avi but whatever is available. Is
> > >there some equipment I can buy to transfer it? Nothing too expensive,
> > >its only for personal use.
> >
> > A Canopus ADVC-100 is an excellent choice. You can get it for $260 in
> > some places.

> > Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
> > I have no fears in life,
> > for I have already survived Theta-G!

If you have PCI slots you can add a PCI Firewire card, if you are using
Linux make sure there are no issues with particular brands and Linux.

"Sir Tisl" <tisl@tisl.cx> wrote in message
> Well, I checked out the Canopus ADVT-100 and the Canopus ADVC-100. No
> results for the ADVT-100, I did however find something about the
> ADVC-100. It seems great, even though it might be a bit pricey, at
> least it works well. The only problem is that I built my own PC, and
> really there aren't a lot of people making hardware that uses a
> Firewire port. So, I didn't put one in (I do however have 8 USB 2.0
> ports heh.) I'll try to find a switch or something like that, if not
> I'll just put in a Firewire port. But just a last question, I'm not
> going to need anything extra right? Just the camera (Hi8) with the
> tape inside, the ADVC-100, and my PC?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Denzil Hathway" <hathway@cox.net> wrote in message
> > I can second the Canopus ADVT-100 having had a good experience with it.
It
> > is simple to set up using its firewire connection, which most modern
> > computers have, and is uncomplicated to use. The audio synch feature it
has
> > is invaluable.
> >
> > The price might be a little sticky for you but look out for cheaper
> > alternatives like USB devices. They may be too slow to give you a good
> > bitrate - essential in capturing quality movie video. I wasted money
when I
> > tried an $80 USB analog-to-digital capture device - and ended up with
> > unusable jerky dark pictures. Denzil.
> >
> > ============
> >

> > "Neil Nadelman" <arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)> wrote in message

> > > A Canopus ADVC-100 is an excellent choice. You can get it for $260 in
> > > some places.

> > > Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
> > > I have no fears in life,
> > > for I have already survived Theta-G!

> "Sir Tisl" wrote ...
> Well, I checked out the Canopus ADVT-100 and the Canopus
> ADVC-100. No results for the ADVT-100,

ADVT-100 appears to be a mistake. No such product.

> I did however find something about the
> ADVC-100. It seems great, even though it might be a bit pricey, at
> least it works well. The only problem is that I built my own PC, and
> really there aren't a lot of people making hardware that uses a
> Firewire port. So, I didn't put one in (I do however have 8 USB 2.0
> ports heh.) I'll try to find a switch or something like that, if not
> I'll just put in a Firewire port. But just a last question, I'm not
> going to need anything extra right? Just the camera (Hi8) with the
> tape inside, the ADVC-100, and my PC?

Software, of course: capture and editing. And transcoding (AVI->
MP2) and DVD authoring if you are outputing to DVD.