  • Servers
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 14, 2005 6:58:27 PM

HI all,

I wonder if anyone can help me setup a dedicated counter-strike source
server?

Ive had a look round and can't seem to find a definitive way of doing it, is
there some server files I need to download as all I can find is the
HL2updatetool?

As far as I can tell I don;t need steam on the server.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction ?

TIA

More about : counter strike source dedicated server

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 7:21:07 PM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:58:27 +0100, "d00med" <<NOSPAM@hotmail.com>>
wrote:

>HI all,
>
>I wonder if anyone can help me setup a dedicated counter-strike source
>server?
>
>Ive had a look round and can't seem to find a definitive way of doing it, is
>there some server files I need to download as all I can find is the
>HL2updatetool?

there is no definitive way, there are a few methods that work very
well, it depends on your individual needs.
the update tool downloads & installs the server files from steam

>As far as I can tell I don;t need steam on the server.

correct

>Can anyone help or point me in the right direction ?
>
>TIA

steampowered forums.
search string - how to setup source dedicated server
all the info you need can be found there including how to save
yourself a lot of download time by using gcfscape to copy content from
your steam install. there's also links to guides for tweaking your pc
to get the best server performance possible.

dr ratt

the man who crosses me and leaves me alive.
he understands nothing about tuco.
nothing.
July 14, 2005 8:05:03 PM

"d00med >" wrote

> I wonder if anyone can help me setup a dedicated counter-strike source
> server?
>
> Ive had a look round and can't seem to find a definitive way of doing it,
> is there some server files I need to download as all I can find is the
> HL2updatetool?

Windows Server or?

You can check this site
www.srcds.com

I am in the process of putting a desription together
http://www.geocities.com/peteraghl/srcds.html
Not much yet :-)

Configuration
http://www.cstrike-planet.com/cfgmaker?cfg=srcds

> As far as I can tell I don;t need steam on the server.

Correct

> Can anyone help or point me in the right direction ?

I tried :)

HTH/Peter
July 14, 2005 8:05:04 PM

Peter [AGHL] wrote:
> "d00med >" wrote
>>
>> I wonder if anyone can help me setup a dedicated counter-strike
>> source server?
>>
>> Ive had a look round and can't seem to find a definitive way of
>> doing it, is there some server files I need to download as all I can
>> find is the HL2updatetool?
>>
> Windows Server or?
>
> You can check this site
> www.srcds.com
>
> I am in the process of putting a desription together
> http://www.geocities.com/peteraghl/srcds.html
> Not much yet :-)
>
> Configuration
> http://www.cstrike-planet.com/cfgmaker?cfg=srcds
>
>> As far as I can tell I don;t need steam on the server.
>>
> Correct
>
>> Can anyone help or point me in the right direction ?
>>
> I tried :)
>
> HTH/Peter

Thanks Peter,

Yes its a Windows server.

That first link looks like what i need, it appears to download all the
needed files through using the update tool.

Cheers
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 8:58:34 PM

"doctor.ratt" wrote

> steampowered forums.

Can be a little messy to browse :)

> search string - how to setup source dedicated server
> all the info you need can be found there including how to save
> yourself a lot of download time by using gcfscape to copy content from
> your steam install.

gcfscape is a nice tool
http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=25

- Peter
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 8:58:35 PM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:58:34 +0200, "Peter [AGHL]"
<peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:

>"doctor.ratt" wrote
>
>> steampowered forums.
>
>Can be a little messy to browse :)
>
>> search string - how to setup source dedicated server

that's why i gave the search string. it turned up everything straight
away for me.

dr ratt

the man who crosses me and leaves me alive.
he understands nothing about tuco.
nothing.
July 14, 2005 8:58:36 PM

doctor.ratt wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:58:34 +0200, "Peter [AGHL]"
> <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"doctor.ratt" wrote
>>

>>>steampowered forums.
>>
>>Can be a little messy to browse :)
>>

>>>search string - how to setup source dedicated server
>

> that's why i gave the search string. it turned up everything straight
> away for me.
>
> dr ratt

> the man who crosses me and leaves me alive.
> he understands nothing about tuco.
> nothing.

I think a more important question is: Why play CS in the first place?
BORING!!!
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 9:55:43 PM

"Player1" wrote

> I think a more important question is: Why play CS in the first place?
> BORING!!!

Some people find it boring to go and watch a football game
Other find it boring to watch golf/tennis etc

Some people find it boring to start a fight in a pub
Other people find it more interest in starting a fight at a football match

If you don't like CS just leave it
I don't feel like bicycling 200 km per day during three weeks so I just
leave it to those who likes it
I do however like to see when the pros is on the run

That is football, icehockey, roadcycling, etc allthough most of the times
it's plain stupid and boring as hell

Get my drift are do I bore you?

- Peter
July 14, 2005 9:55:44 PM

Peter [AGHL] wrote:
> "Player1" wrote
>

>>I think a more important question is: Why play CS in the first place?
>>BORING!!!
>

> Some people find it boring to go and watch a football game
> Other find it boring to watch golf/tennis etc
>
> Some people find it boring to start a fight in a pub
> Other people find it more interest in starting a fight at a football match
>
> If you don't like CS just leave it
> I don't feel like bicycling 200 km per day during three weeks so I just
> leave it to those who likes it
> I do however like to see when the pros is on the run
>
> That is football, icehockey, roadcycling, etc allthough most of the times
> it's plain stupid and boring as hell
>
> Get my drift are do I bore you?
>
> - Peter

Pete you don't be boring me!

CS is just too slow for me, that's all. It goes against the grain for
most of the other major game types out there based on HL's engine, like
CTF, TFC, DM et al.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:29:48 AM

Player1 wrote:

> CS is just too slow for me, that's all. It goes against the grain for
> most of the other major game types out there based on HL's engine, like
> CTF, TFC, DM et al.

You're not alone there, I know several others in this NG who loathe CS
in favour of DM and TFC... I personally love the tactics and teamplay
that are involved in CS - unfortunately it's pretty hard to find that on
a public server :-/ ... TFC and DM are great fun too... I've spent many
an hour on gasworks doing some long range damage with the crossbow :D

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
!