Joe

Ok I'm going to try this... Being very dissappointed with Premiere Pro
1.0, rather than upgrade to 1.5, I wish to try Vegas Video.

I have a few questions, about Vegas, if some of you guys can please point
me in the right direction.

Features I need that premiere has, I don't know if Vegas has?
-Gradient Wipes (using custom maps)
-Good titler
-Able to apply transitions on multiply video channels. not just 1 like in
AP 6.5 A/B editing. I prefer single-track.

Does Vegas have;
-Autosave? Is it like Premieres? or Edition? I know edition 5.5 has
instant save. I know Premiere crashed alot... how does vegas compare?

-Learning curve? I'm a good premiere guy... I think I've used premiere
very well from doing precise time-code editing for music videos to wedding
stuff... I last week looked at Edition 5.5 and found it totally
different... I'd need to start from the bottom, and don't think I got the
time. How hard is vegas to pickup?

Does vegas offer 3rd plugin's? like steadycam?

<joe@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Ok I'm going to try this... Being very dissappointed with Premiere Pro
> 1.0, rather than upgrade to 1.5, I wish to try Vegas Video.
>
> I have a few questions, about Vegas, if some of you guys can please point
> me in the right direction.
>
> Features I need that premiere has, I don't know if Vegas has?
> -Gradient Wipes (using custom maps)
> -Good titler
> -Able to apply transitions on multiply video channels. not just 1 like in
> AP 6.5 A/B editing. I prefer single-track.
>
> Does Vegas have;
> -Autosave? Is it like Premieres? or Edition? I know edition 5.5 has
> instant save. I know Premiere crashed alot... how does vegas compare?
>
> -Learning curve? I'm a good premiere guy... I think I've used premiere
> very well from doing precise time-code editing for music videos to wedding
> stuff... I last week looked at Edition 5.5 and found it totally
> different... I'd need to start from the bottom, and don't think I got the
> time. How hard is vegas to pickup?
>
> Does vegas offer 3rd plugin's? like steadycam?
>
> --

Joe,

You may want to go to the Vegas forum and ask these questions there. I
believe Vegas will do all you ask and much more. Here's the link
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/forums/

Tim

mb

I can't answer all your questions but Vegas 5 is an excellent program and in
my opionion, slightly better than Premiere Pro, although I like Prem Pro's
interface/layout a little better.

You can pickup Vegas very quickly, but it might be confusing at first coming
from Premiere as I did. I really recommend sitting down for a good day with
it, slowly going through the manual which is excellent and you can download
from the Sony website along with a trial version of Vegas (try to forget all
you know about Prem Pro, the two are totally different, just try to learn
the Vegas method of doing things).

Go through the manual slowly, but go through the whole thing, capturing a
few of your own clips to work with. At some pont, I think you will "get it"
and really begin to appreciate Vegas' strengths, especially compared to
Premiere Pro.

BTW, you can create all kinds of wipes, dissolve from any tracks and Vegas
is very, very stable.

Best of luck,

MB

I've only just started using Vegas 5.0 and I'm finding it much easier to
learn than Premiere. The stuff you can do with just the humble mouse wheel
is jaw dropping.

In news:joe@nospam.com <joe@nospam.com> typed:
> Ok I'm going to try this... Being very dissappointed with Premiere Pro
> 1.0, rather than upgrade to 1.5, I wish to try Vegas Video.
>
> I have a few questions, about Vegas, if some of you guys can please
> point me in the right direction.
>
> Features I need that premiere has, I don't know if Vegas has?
> -Gradient Wipes (using custom maps)

It would be very dificult, but feasible. If you add the Pixelan plug-in,
not very expensive, then it become real easy and you can even use the
jpeg format, which doesn't support alpha channel, as gradient and add a
bump map on top right in the interface; you can even naviguate the
timeline while changing the parameters, viewing the effect in realtime.

> -Good titler

Next question.

> -Able to apply transitions on multiply video channels. not just 1
> like in AP 6.5 A/B editing. I prefer single-track.

That's one of the strongest point of Vegas. Fade in, fade out, cross
fade, on single track or a multitude of track with keyframable effect
and type off are easy at the extreme and very intuitive.

> Does Vegas have;
> -Autosave? Is it like Premieres? or Edition? I know edition 5.5 has
> instant save. I know Premiere crashed alot... how does vegas compare?

I don't think Vegas has an autosave function per say, but it has
autorecovery. If it had autosave, I would turn it off. You would have a
hard time trying to crash Vegas :)

> -Learning curve? I'm a good premiere guy... I think I've used premiere
> very well from doing precise time-code editing for music videos to
> wedding stuff... I last week looked at Edition 5.5 and found it
> totally different... I'd need to start from the bottom, and don't
> think I got the time. How hard is vegas to pickup?

I consider Vegas to be the most intuitive, best designed interface and
easier to learn application that I have ever seen, all software category
confounded.

> Does vegas offer 3rd plugin's? like steadycam?

I don't know about steadycam, but more and more plug-in are made
available for it, like pixelan, Boris red and Wax. Vegas now support
scrypting, so the list will grow exponentially I'm sure.
A demo is available, why don't you try it?

--
www.odysea.ca

In news:joe@nospam.com <joe@nospam.com> typed:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Deco_time wrote:
>
> No so important... I've fallen in love with the hand-writing effects,
> that premiere could do with gradient wipes.

Oh that. You can do in Vegas using the new animated vector masking
capability, that is seriously making me think of upgrading as I'm still
on the trial period of V5.
You could do also, although not as well, in prior version using either
the cookie cuter or a wipe effect, or a combinaison of both or a
sequence of B/W gradient WITH alpha channel and proper parenting (layers
I mean :), it's just not as easy.
--
www.odysea.ca

>>Features I need that premiere has, I don't know if Vegas has?
>> -Gradient Wipes (using custom maps)
>> -Good titler
>> -Able to apply transitions on multiply video channels. not just 1 like in
>>AP 6.5 A/B editing. I prefer single-track.

See
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=912
for the downloadable manual that describes all available features.

Titler works fine and is easy to use.
You'll have to look up the other two.

>>Does Vegas have;
>>-Autosave? Is it like Premieres? or Edition? I know edition 5.5 has
>>instant save. I know Premiere crashed alot... how does vegas compare?

Don't know about autosave, but Vegas has always been as rock steady
as can be. I personally don't use autosave since I sometimes like to
save multiple revisions of my edits under different filenames. 4.0 was
so stable, I didn't ever worry through multiple wedding video edits that
required weeks each to finish.

In any case, autosaving isn't the smartest thing esp. when you've
got important video at hand and no backups! The better way is to simply
get a large HD (eg. Compusa this week, 200GB HD for $99) + external
FW/USB2.0 combo 3.5" enclosure (eg. www.pcmicrostore.com Hotway FW/USB
3.5" case for <$45), and make frequent (ie. daily or more often) backups
of everything.

After all, an autosave won't save you if you do something silly --
like delete the entire folder, get a virus, etc.

>>-Learning curve? I'm a good premiere guy... I think I've used premiere
>>very well from doing precise time-code editing for music videos to wedding
>>stuff... I last week looked at Edition 5.5 and found it totally
>>different... I'd need to start from the bottom, and don't think I got the
>>time. How hard is vegas to pickup?

Boringly easy! It's almost a crime! You can take the Vegas manual,
tear out perhaps 5-10 pages, and throw the entire book away and still be
able to learn and use the majority of the program just by exploration
alone.

You may actually be worried wondering why it's so easy to use!

And honestly, the manual is so comprehensive and easy enough to
understand that you don't really need to go buy anything else. (For
Premiere, the "How To Use Adobe Premiere 6.5" book by Douglas Dixon will
get you started far faster than almost any other book -- just a few
hours reading this and you'll be off in no time!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0789728265/qid=1087235110/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-4338958-6792152?v=glance&s=books)

>>Does vegas offer 3rd plugin's? like steadycam?
The weakest part of Vegas -- zero plugins worth the money unlike
Premiere. Also, no hardware acceleration cards at all. Here, Premiere
is the king on both counts.

----

In the end, Sony has more than enough cash to buy any other video
editing software company on this planet (including Apple & Adobe), yet
they picked Sonic Foundry's Vegas Video quite possible for the same
reasons many others have done so themselves -- easy-to-use, powerful
built-in-features, stable and rock-solid reliability, intuitive interface.

Of course, Sony knows the drawbacks of this program and they're
quickly implementing them as new versions are released. I wouldnt' be
suprised to see a version with hardware acceleration and a few new
plugins by the end of this year.

---

cheap copies on ebay.com; same with upgrades through Sony (buy cheap
old copy on ebay.com).

joe@nospam.com wrote:
> Ok I'm going to try this... Being very dissappointed with Premiere Pro
> 1.0, rather than upgrade to 1.5, I wish to try Vegas Video.
>
> I have a few questions, about Vegas, if some of you guys can please
> point me in the right direction.
>
> Features I need that premiere has, I don't know if Vegas has?
> -Gradient Wipes (using custom maps)
> -Good titler

Vegas 5 comes with Boris Graffiti LTD with an upgrade offer to the full
version.

> -Able to apply transitions on multiply video channels. not just 1
> like in AP 6.5 A/B editing. I prefer single-track.
>
> Does Vegas have;
> -Autosave? Is it like Premieres? or Edition? I know edition 5.5 has
> instant save. I know Premiere crashed alot... how does vegas compare?

As others have said, it's extremely rare for Vegas to crash. I'm very
serious when I say it's one of the most stable apps I've ever used. On the
rare occasion when it does, it pops up an "abnormal exit detected - do you
want to load the last instance?" and picks up right where you left off.
Good editors always get into the habit of doing a "Ctrl-S" often. In my
case, it's after every change. Old habits die hard I guess.

> -Learning curve? I'm a good premiere guy... I think I've used premiere
> very well from doing precise time-code editing for music videos to
> wedding stuff... I last week looked at Edition 5.5 and found it
> totally different... I'd need to start from the bottom, and don't
> think I got the time. How hard is vegas to pickup?

Once again, very easy. I came from another NLE and I was up and running in
under an hour. I find it very intuitive.

> Does vegas offer 3rd plugin's? like steadycam?

Not too many so far - but the Vegas community is fantastic at sharing the
plug-ins they've created at little ($50 max.) or no cost.

Mike

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:31:58 -0400, joe@nospam.com wrote:

>Ok I'm going to try this... Being very dissappointed with Premiere Pro
>1.0, rather than upgrade to 1.5, I wish to try Vegas Video.

>Features I need that premiere has, I don't know if Vegas has?
> -Gradient Wipes (using custom maps)

Not sure about that one per se. I've basically done thing like that,
though, simply by keyframing motion on a mask with a fuzzy edge. And
in the new Vegas 5 (bought it a few weeks ago, barely scratched the
surface after one project with it), there's now an animated vector
masking feature, which is essentially building in a super-deluxe
version of what you could do, a bit more awkwardly, with bitmaps and
motion (and yet, I've done several animated pieces this way, which
included multiple video streams moving around on-screen together with
other bits, for titles and, in one case, a sort of music video).

> -Good titler

The standard "Text" function (one of a general class of media
generator plug-ins) is basic but fairly useful. Beyond that, Vegas 5
is now shipping with Boris Graffitti Ltd 3.0, which looks capable of
doing practically anything (it's a fairly cheap upgrade to their full
version, too, if you're a real crazy titling nut). I've played with
this a bit, and it's BIG. The only annoying bit here is that the
"freebie" isn't integrated into Vegas... a bit like the old ULead
titling stand-alone included in Media Studio Pro (the only piece of
that suite I ever found stable enough for actual use), only way more
powerful.

> -Able to apply transitions on multiply video channels. not just 1 like in
>AP 6.5 A/B editing. I prefer single-track.

Every track in Vegas can be used as a stand-alone or A/B pair, and you
can have any number of such tracks. Any transition can be used to
bring a single track in or out... of course, the effect you get
depends on what you're doing with the other tracks at the time (eg, it
could be dramatically more complex than a simple A/B transition, or
basically the same).

>Does Vegas have;
>-Autosave? Is it like Premieres? or Edition?

You mean, in that it crashes all the time? No, Vegas is remarkably
stable; I haven't had it crash on me since Version 3. Not a one. It
doesn't do a specific auto-save, which is smart ... what if you wanted
to back out? Rather, it unobtrusively tracks you work, and will offer
a backup file if, say, your PC somehow dies in mid-stride (this I did
have; the modem on my main PC used to crash the machine, maybe once in
one hundred dial-ups). Wordperfect does it this way too... I have no
taste for "what everyone else uses", I always try to find the best
there is instead (not that "best for me" == "best for you", but it
might).

>-Learning curve? I'm a good premiere guy... I think I've used premiere
>very well from doing precise time-code editing for music videos to wedding
>stuff... I last week looked at Edition 5.5 and found it totally
>different... I'd need to start from the bottom, and don't think I got the
>time. How hard is vegas to pickup?

It's really easy to get started with Vegas. Well, it was for me,
anyway. I actually did run with Premiere 5.something SE for about a
year, and was horribly frustrated with it -- nothing it did made any
sense. Now sure, Premiere is an old program, and it probably did back
in the days of PCs that really couldn't do video. But I mean, why
"pre-render" a whole project that's already perfectly good, in DV, on
the hard drive. So I rejected Premiere for Media Studio Pro 6.0 (paid
in full), and discovered that it was little more than a Premiere clone
(in the video editor, anyway), but even buggier, and run by a company
that simply didn't fix their bugs.

Curiously, I was already using Sound Forge at the time, and had been
comped copies of both Vegas Pro (audio-only) and Acid by a friend at
Sonic Foundry (hi, Peter!). I had used 'em both, found the user
interface so simple and intuitive, I really didn't need to RTFM other
than the track down more esoteric details of this or that. I had been
a Cakewalk guy since 3.0 (and still own Sonar 3.1), having resigned to
the PC for music after Commodore went down and Blue Ribbon Soundworks
ceased to be (eaten by Microsoft). I had done fairly serious analog
A/B editing on the Amiga using Scala's MM300/MM400 and EE100 IR/LANC
controller... somewhat obscure stuff.

So naturally, it was only AFTER deciding MSP6.0 was totally useless
that I discovered there was a video-capable upgrade for Vegas. I
bought that, and was able to finish the project I had started under
MSP6.0, in practically no time. You may need to shake of
preconceptions, as you will changing from any program to any other.
Use enough stuff, and it's second nature. I've used at least 10
different wordprocessor/text editors on computers, I've written code
in over 40 computer languages, etc. But then again, I taught myself
programming when I was 12 and personal computers didn't yet exit; I'm
not suggesting everyone will find it as easy to jump from app to app.
But in the big picture, you couldn't find a better landing place than
Vegas.

>Does vegas offer 3rd plugin's? like steadycam?

Well, by the very nature, 3rd party plug-ins aren't offered by
Sony/Vegas, but by someone else. Vegas uses the Windows
DirectX/DirectShow standards for video, audio, and rendering plug-ins,
where they exist.

The standard for pretty much all Windows programs in audio plug-ins is
the DirectX plug-in (the only widely supported alternative is the VST
format, now something of a standard, originally Steinberg's
proprietary plug-in format), so pretty much anything you can do in
audio FX will plug into Vegas. There are also DirectX to VST bridge
plug-ins, though they don't necessarily support all features.

The video plug-ins aren't as common as for Premiere. But they do
exist. Some include Boris Red, Boris Graffiti, the Adorage series,
several from Red Giant, etc.

There are some excellent freeware plug-ins for Vegas here:
http://www.debugmode.com. Written by Satish Kumar, these include the
famous 3D Lite Edition plugin, Winmorph (image morphing), Wax (3D &
Compositing), Framesever plugin, and the VirtualDub bridge plugin
(lets you, for example, run any of the 5,238 VHS noise filters for
VirtualDub directly on the Vegas timeline, etc).

There's a Vegas resource page here:
http://www.creativecow.net/articles/vegasvideo.html

You will find support for special hardware rendering devices (like the
Matrox accelerator boards) non-existent for Vegas (or, generally,
anything but either Premiere or Canopus editors, depending on whether
the hardware was made by Canopus or someone else). You'll have to
judge the need for that -- in some cases, you may need it. For most
purposes, you're better off in general spending the extra money on a
fast computer than a slower computer plus rendering board.

Sony offers some plug-ins directly, or in a bundle. As well as a whole
slew of basic audio and video FX, you get color analysis and
correction, the 2-pass MPEG-2 encoder, and the AC-3 encoder as well
with Vegas+DVD. Vegas is one of the few NLEs that does full fledged
surround-sound mixing, and the more flexible audio bus architecture in
Vegas 5 is very cool. Maybe someday a DTS plug-in would be nice, but
if you're not capable of surround mixing and AC-3 encoding, you're not
capable of making full featured DVDs (which is kind of my thing).
Dave Haynie | Chief Toady, Frog Pond Media Consulting
dhaynie@jersey.net| Take Back Freedom! Bush no more in 2004!
"Deathbed Vigil" now on DVD! See http://www.frogpondmedia.com

TRENDING THREADS