Sending pics over the net, they come back..size help please

Hi,

I am new at digital photography and just today I went down the coast to take
some pics of the ferry that comes in for that area

Anyway, I went to send them to a friend and they come back to me , saying
they are to big for the server.

They were taken at 4.0mps,(the camera goes to 5mps)

Is they a way to reduce the size after they are taken to send though the
email so they won't come back?

His isn't the first time it has happened either.

I am using a Mac, and after getting the "info" from each pic, they seem to
be about 1MB-1.2MB each in size.

Is that too big to send?

I sent 6, they came back, so now I am sending 2 at a time.

Any help with this

Thanks,

D.
11 answers Last reply
More about sending pics back size please

    "dale" <dale_s@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new at digital photography and just today I went down the coast to
    take
    > some pics of the ferry that comes in for that area
    >
    > Anyway, I went to send them to a friend and they come back to me , saying
    > they are to big for the server.
    >
    > They were taken at 4.0mps,(the camera goes to 5mps)
    >
    > Is they a way to reduce the size after they are taken to send though the
    > email so they won't come back?
    >

    > His isn't the first time it has happened either.
    >
    > I am using a Mac, and after getting the "info" from each pic, they seem to
    > be about 1MB-1.2MB each in size.
    >
    > Is that too big to send?
    >
    > I sent 6, they came back, so now I am sending 2 at a time.

    Yes, 6 times 1.2 Mb = 7.2 MB.

    > Any help with this
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > D.

    Many servers have a limit to the size of attachments to email.
    I would bet that your friend is a member of AOL.

    You should not send in more than 2 MB total in one email. If you have more,
    send in separate email.

    Limit the size of your attached file to 2 Megabytes.

    Limit the size of your attachments. If you are sending to someone with a
    dial-up connection, 1 to 2 MB may be an appropriate upper limit. About 10 MB
    for broadband users.

    As an example, the maximum size of a file you can send as an attachment to
    an email from AOL to an Internet address is 2 MBytes.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    "dale" <dale_s@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new at digital photography and just today I went down the coast to
    take
    > some pics of the ferry that comes in for that area
    >
    > Anyway, I went to send them to a friend and they come back to me , saying
    > they are to big for the server.
    >
    > They were taken at 4.0mps,(the camera goes to 5mps)
    >
    > Is they a way to reduce the size after they are taken to send though the
    > email so they won't come back?
    >

    > His isn't the first time it has happened either.
    >
    > I am using a Mac, and after getting the "info" from each pic, they seem
    > be about 1MB-1.2MB each in size.
    >
    > Is that too big to send?
    >
    > I sent 6, they came back, so now I am sending 2 at a time.
    >
    > Any help with this
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > D.

    Resize the PICs with SW. Make the PIC 1024x768, save it and you should have
    sizes <500k.

    Seymore...
    www.SonyCams.com
    Sony F717 / TRV70
    Nikon FM2, SB22 Speed-Light
    Nikon MF 50mm 1.4 -- AF 24-50mm 3.3-4.5
    Nikon AF 60mm 2.8 -- AF 35-135mm 3.5-4.5
    Tokina AT-X 100-300mm 4
    remove "REMOVE" to reply directly

    Here's a free program to help you resize pics:
    http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

    --
    "5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions".

    "dale" <dale_s@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new at digital photography and just today I went down the coast to
    take
    > some pics of the ferry that comes in for that area
    >
    > Anyway, I went to send them to a friend and they come back to me , saying
    > they are to big for the server.
    >
    > They were taken at 4.0mps,(the camera goes to 5mps)
    >
    > Is they a way to reduce the size after they are taken to send though the
    > email so they won't come back?
    >

    > His isn't the first time it has happened either.
    >
    > I am using a Mac, and after getting the "info" from each pic, they seem to
    > be about 1MB-1.2MB each in size.
    >
    > Is that too big to send?
    >
    > I sent 6, they came back, so now I am sending 2 at a time.
    >
    > Any help with this
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > D.

    Or maybe this for a Mac :
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/imaging_3d/easycrop.html

    --
    "5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions".

    "dale" <dale_s@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new at digital photography and just today I went down the coast to
    take
    > some pics of the ferry that comes in for that area
    >
    > Anyway, I went to send them to a friend and they come back to me , saying
    > they are to big for the server.
    >
    > They were taken at 4.0mps,(the camera goes to 5mps)
    >
    > Is they a way to reduce the size after they are taken to send though the
    > email so they won't come back?
    >

    > His isn't the first time it has happened either.
    >
    > I am using a Mac, and after getting the "info" from each pic, they seem to
    > be about 1MB-1.2MB each in size.
    >
    > Is that too big to send?
    >
    > I sent 6, they came back, so now I am sending 2 at a time.
    >
    > Any help with this
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > D.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Just put the pictures on a web page and you will not have to worry
    about the size limits of peoples email

    PJ

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:50:23 +1100, dale <dale_s@ozemail.com.au>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am new at digital photography and just today I went down the coast to take
    >some pics of the ferry that comes in for that area
    >
    >Anyway, I went to send them to a friend and they come back to me , saying
    >they are to big for the server.
    >
    >They were taken at 4.0mps,(the camera goes to 5mps)
    >
    >Is they a way to reduce the size after they are taken to send though the
    >email so they won't come back?
    >

    >His isn't the first time it has happened either.
    >
    >I am using a Mac, and after getting the "info" from each pic, they seem to
    >be about 1MB-1.2MB each in size.
    >
    >Is that too big to send?
    >
    >I sent 6, they came back, so now I am sending 2 at a time.
    >
    >Any help with this
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >D.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Explanations of how to accomplish that would be real nice for those that
    haven't done it and haven't bought web space for a few hundred per year.

    Thanx

    "PJx" <dingo@privacy.com> wrote in message

    > Just put the pictures on a web page and you will not have to worry
    > about the size limits of peoples email
    >
    > PJ
    >

    > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:50:23 +1100, dale <dale_s@ozemail.com.au>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I am new at digital photography and just today I went down the coast to
    take
    > >some pics of the ferry that comes in for that area
    > >
    > >Anyway, I went to send them to a friend and they come back to me , saying
    > >they are to big for the server.
    > >
    > >They were taken at 4.0mps,(the camera goes to 5mps)
    > >
    > >Is they a way to reduce the size after they are taken to send though the
    > >email so they won't come back?
    > >

    > >His isn't the first time it has happened either.
    > >
    > >I am using a Mac, and after getting the "info" from each pic, they seem
    > >be about 1MB-1.2MB each in size.
    > >
    > >Is that too big to send?
    > >
    > >I sent 6, they came back, so now I am sending 2 at a time.
    > >
    > >Any help with this
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >
    > >D.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:59:04 -0500, "Gymy Bob" <nospam@bight.me>
    wrote:

    >Explanations of how to accomplish that would be real nice for those that
    >haven't done it and haven't bought web space for a few hundred per year.
    >Thanx

    Good Point. The best answer likely exists within the camera's
    documentation. Nearly every camera sold has instruction on how to
    upload a photo album to the web. I know my HP camera does.

    But if it doesn't , then there are a million other ways to get your
    photo album on the web. My cheapo version of Frontpage has a photo
    album object that works for me. Others are available as freeware or
    shareware.

    The cost of my web site is $1 for the first year after which I can
    find another for less than $10 a year. My domain name cost $1.95 for
    the first year.

    Domain name:
    https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/registrar/search.asp?se=%2B&ci=181

    Web Site
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=194&item=5149644223&rd=1

    Have fun,
    PJ

    >"PJx" <dingo@privacy.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Just put the pictures on a web page and you will not have to worry
    >> about the size limits of peoples email
    >>
    >> PJ
    >> snip
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    There are many places where web space is very cheap, from free with lots of
    commercials to a few dollars per month with no commercials. Google for "web
    host" no quotes.

    A Domain Name is not necessary if you use one of the Free hosts. The cost of
    that is commercials and a very long web address.

    Get Domain Name first. About $8.95 per year or less.
    Domain Name Registrar and a low cost host is:
    http://www.godaddy.com/
    Here you register your domain name and/or host a web site.
    Godaddy is the probably the lowest cost Domain Name Registrar.

    My Web Host is an Australian company (I am in the USA): About $84 per year
    or $8 per month. First year is free with one time setup fee of $30. I use
    the Windows server because I use FrontPage for my HTML editor.
    http://www.webstrikesolutions.com/
    Their Servers are located in the USA.

    For how to do it, you design your web site with one of the many HTML editors
    (web page design) that are available, I use Microsoft FrontPage 2000.

    Then you uplink the web site you designed to the web server with a FTP
    program. FrontPage can also transmit your web site. I do not like how
    FrontPage does it, so I do not use FrontPage for Uplink.
    I use WS_FTP (much more control over what you uplink):
    http://www.ipswitch.com/
    There is a free version, not for commercial use.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    "Gymy Bob" <nospam@bight.me> wrote in message
    > Explanations of how to accomplish that would be real nice for those that
    > haven't done it and haven't bought web space for a few hundred per year.
    >
    > Thanx
    >
    > "PJx" <dingo@privacy.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Just put the pictures on a web page and you will not have to worry
    >> about the size limits of peoples email
    >>
    >> PJ
    >>

    >> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:50:23 +1100, dale <dale_s@ozemail.com.au>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >Hi,
    >> >
    >> >I am new at digital photography and just today I went down the coast to
    > take
    >> >some pics of the ferry that comes in for that area
    >> >
    >> >Anyway, I went to send them to a friend and they come back to me ,
    >> >saying
    >> >they are to big for the server.
    >> >
    >> >They were taken at 4.0mps,(the camera goes to 5mps)
    >> >
    >> >Is they a way to reduce the size after they are taken to send though the
    >> >email so they won't come back?
    >> >

    >> >His isn't the first time it has happened either.
    >> >
    >> >I am using a Mac, and after getting the "info" from each pic, they seem
    >> >be about 1MB-1.2MB each in size.
    >> >
    >> >Is that too big to send?
    >> >
    >> >I sent 6, they came back, so now I am sending 2 at a time.
    >> >
    >> >Any help with this
    >> >
    >> >Thanks,
    >> >
    >> >D.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:59:04 -0500, "Gymy Bob" wrote:

    >Explanations of how to accomplish that would be real nice for those that
    >haven't done it and haven't bought web space for a few hundred per year.
    >
    >"PJx" wrote
    >
    >> Just put the pictures on a web page and you will not have to worry
    >> about the size limits of peoples email

    Kodak's Ofoto and other online printing companies will let you
    share the photos, perhaps password-protected at some sites, with
    friends and family.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On 19/12/04 7:44 AM, in article 1u49s0p91g2ue460kibb9hbhlqhn95na8c@4ax.com,
    "Rolf Egil Sølvik" <rolfegil@c2i.net> wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:59:04 -0500, "Gymy Bob" wrote:
    >
    >> Explanations of how to accomplish that would be real nice for those that
    >> haven't done it and haven't bought web space for a few hundred per year.
    >>
    >> "PJx" wrote
    >>
    >>> Just put the pictures on a web page and you will not have to worry
    >>> about the size limits of peoples email
    >
    > Kodak's Ofoto and other online printing companies will let you
    > share the photos, perhaps password-protected at some sites, with
    > friends and family.

    Thanks to all who helped , and gave advice.

    I will stick with IPHOTO, tried it and my friend got the pics I wanted her
    to get.

    Thanks
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "dale" <dale_s@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new at digital photography and just today I went down the coast to
    > take
    > some pics of the ferry that comes in for that area
    >
    > Anyway, I went to send them to a friend and they come back to me , saying
    > they are to big for the server.
    >
    > They were taken at 4.0mps,(the camera goes to 5mps)
    >
    > Is they a way to reduce the size after they are taken to send though the
    > email so they won't come back?
    >

    > His isn't the first time it has happened either.
    >
    > I am using a Mac, and after getting the "info" from each pic, they seem to
    > be about 1MB-1.2MB each in size.
    >
    > Is that too big to send?
    >
    > I sent 6, they came back, so now I am sending 2 at a time.
    >
    > Any help with this
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > D.

    One way to do it where you won't need to resize or e-mail is one of the
    internet pic sharing sites
    www.snapfish.com
    www.shutterfly.com/
    http://www.ofoto.com/Welcome.jsp
    http://www.fototime.com/

    are just a few of the better known, but there are many more out there. With
    these you just E-mail a link(very easy to do) to your recipient, they open
    the link & there are your pics. I just down loaded that free program that
    MoHo referred to & that looks like another good way. I use fototime myself &
    am real happy with it.

    --
    CorkyF

Cameras Photo Peripherals