64bit Win7 Home backup failures

Cyrixx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Hello,

Like the title says, I can't get Win7 to backup my c: HD. Always says it didn't finish correctly. I have two other HD's and I have tried both and I get the same error. Someone suggested it might be my AntiVirus? I'm using the current version of AVG. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Cyrixx

It`s clear the back up did not finnish, because at the time there was a process running.
This can be a case when say you have an anti virus program that is memory resident.
In other words looking at changes in resident memory.

In short for a back up turn off all memory resident virus programs.
PS: Avg has one !

doesn't make any difference, thats what the shadowcopy mechanism resolves.

OP: do you have enough space to put the backup as it is being made?

Cyrixx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Yes, both of my other HDs are empty 500GBs. I have plenty of space for backups. So I need to deactivate my antivirus with AVG just to make a backup and image of my c: drive? This doesn't sound safe or modern tech.

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Mine works most of the time, using antivirus, to an external usb 2.0 drive. Same OS, on it's second fresh install. My only windows backup complaint is it takes around 500 gigs more space each time, I have to go and manually delete older backups.

edit added: I have a vista system the backs up over the network to ther same usb drive that properly manages incremental backups without swallowing 500 gigs at a time, it has a similar failure rate though. It really has been set it and forget it.