Sign in with
Your question

64bit Win7 Home backup failures

Last response: in Windows 7
December 30, 2010 3:07:34 AM

Hello,

Like the title says, I can't get Win7 to backup my c: HD. Always says it didn't finish correctly. I have two other HD's and I have tried both and I get the same error. Someone suggested it might be my AntiVirus? I'm using the current version of AVG. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Cyrixx
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2010 1:20:45 PM

Does it give any particular file which its failing on?
December 30, 2010 6:07:10 PM

No, it just says it doesn't finish successfully. Happens everytime and on multiple HDs. I don't get it.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2010 6:38:54 PM

It`s clear the back up did not finnish, because at the time there was a process running.
This can be a case when say you have an anti virus program that is memory resident.
In other words looking at changes in resident memory.

In short for a back up turn off all memory resident virus programs.
PS: Avg has one !
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2010 7:43:10 PM

Shaun o said:
It`s clear the back up did not finnish, because at the time there was a process running.
This can be a case when say you have an anti virus program that is memory resident.
In other words looking at changes in resident memory.

In short for a back up turn off all memory resident virus programs.
PS: Avg has one !

doesn't make any difference, thats what the shadowcopy mechanism resolves.

OP: do you have enough space to put the backup as it is being made?
December 30, 2010 8:03:48 PM

Yes, both of my other HDs are empty 500GBs. I have plenty of space for backups. So I need to deactivate my antivirus with AVG just to make a backup and image of my c: drive? This doesn't sound safe or modern tech.
a b $ Windows 7
December 30, 2010 9:29:12 PM

I had backups happening whilst Avast was installed and running no problem.

can you check the service messages in the administration section to see if there are any clues as to why it stopped.
December 31, 2010 4:39:02 AM

I had this problem for a while with the pre-release windows 7 and an office 2K install. The backup would trigger some Office .msi which would get stuck wanting the Office CD to be loaded. I got a new windows 7 and a new office 2010 and dont have the problem.

This may be similar...
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpr...

good luck
December 31, 2010 12:09:34 PM

Mine works most of the time, using antivirus, to an external usb 2.0 drive. Same OS, on it's second fresh install. My only windows backup complaint is it takes around 500 gigs more space each time, I have to go and manually delete older backups.

edit added: I have a vista system the backs up over the network to ther same usb drive that properly manages incremental backups without swallowing 500 gigs at a time, it has a similar failure rate though. It really has been set it and forget it.
!