windows media player sound, but no video

when I try to play a movie preview with either media player 9 or 10, I get
good audio but a black video window... the media seems to be mpeg-4 video v3
if that helps any... PLEASE Help!!! I'm sure it's operator error of some
sort on my end!
9 answers Last reply
More about windows media player sound video

    It may be you don't have the codec to play it properly or can you normally
    see viudeos on this monitor, as if overlay is not supported on the monitor
    you are using you will also ge this result.

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "chris..." <chris...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > when I try to play a movie preview with either media player 9 or 10, I get
    > good audio but a black video window... the media seems to be mpeg-4 video
    > v3
    > if that helps any... PLEASE Help!!! I'm sure it's operator error of
    > some
    > sort on my end!

    I suspected a codec problem from reading the help text... but I don't get
    how to check it... some previews (few) do play. I'm using a panasonic CF-18
    tablet pc... any way to know what I need to do? Thak you for your first
    post, I feel I'm close to an answere,
    Chris

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > It may be you don't have the codec to play it properly or can you normally
    > see viudeos on this monitor, as if overlay is not supported on the monitor
    > you are using you will also ge this result.
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "chris..." <chris...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > when I try to play a movie preview with either media player 9 or 10, I get
    > > good audio but a black video window... the media seems to be mpeg-4 video
    > > v3
    > > if that helps any... PLEASE Help!!! I'm sure it's operator error of
    > > some
    > > sort on my end!

    Use something like GSpot to tell you what the codec is that you need and
    then google search. Try to just install the one codec, don't go for a codec
    pack.
    http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Web%20Pages/UsefulProgrammes.htm

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    >I suspected a codec problem from reading the help text... but I don't get
    > how to check it... some previews (few) do play. I'm using a panasonic
    > CF-18
    > tablet pc... any way to know what I need to do? Thak you for your first
    > post, I feel I'm close to an answere,
    > Chris
    >
    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    >> It may be you don't have the codec to play it properly or can you
    >> normally
    >> see viudeos on this monitor, as if overlay is not supported on the
    >> monitor
    >> you are using you will also ge this result.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Graham Hughes
    >> MVP Digital Media
    >> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    >> www.dvds2treasure.com
    >> www.simplydv.com
    >>

    >> "chris..." <chris...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > when I try to play a movie preview with either media player 9 or 10, I
    >> > get
    >> > good audio but a black video window... the media seems to be mpeg-4
    >> > video
    >> > v3
    >> > if that helps any... PLEASE Help!!! I'm sure it's operator error of
    >> > some
    >> > sort on my end!

    Graham, Thank you for your Gspot program. I think I'm close but still having
    trouble. I ran gspot on a desktop saved, video previw with a ".wmv"
    extention. Gspot gave me a display; "Direct Show claims to be able to play
    the file" using Mpeg 43 Decoder DMO and Video Renderer. I still have sound
    but no video... What else might I try???
    Thanks so much for your help with this,
    Chris

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > Use something like GSpot to tell you what the codec is that you need and
    > then google search. Try to just install the one codec, don't go for a codec
    > pack.
    > http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Web%20Pages/UsefulProgrammes.htm
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I suspected a codec problem from reading the help text... but I don't get
    > > how to check it... some previews (few) do play. I'm using a panasonic
    > > CF-18
    > > tablet pc... any way to know what I need to do? Thak you for your first
    > > post, I feel I'm close to an answere,
    > > Chris
    > >
    > > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    > >
    > >> It may be you don't have the codec to play it properly or can you
    > >> normally
    > >> see viudeos on this monitor, as if overlay is not supported on the
    > >> monitor
    > >> you are using you will also ge this result.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Graham Hughes
    > >> MVP Digital Media
    > >> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > >> www.dvds2treasure.com
    > >> www.simplydv.com
    > >>

    > >> "chris..." <chris...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    beleive it or not, try playing it in VirtualDub (
    http://tinyurl.com/9dmm2 ) and uncheck Options->Allow video overlays
    .... I have just found out that it's the only way I can play movie on
    my newly acquired old notebook with video card which doesn't know
    overlays, I am currently trying to find other player, but for the time
    being VirtualDub is the only way for me, maybe it can help you... cause
    in other players, I get sound, but no video , regardless of what decoder
    settings with codec I choose.

    --
    hexanirPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    This fixed the 'sound but no video' problem in Windows Media Player for
    me:

    1. Start Windows Media Player;
    2. If not maximised, maximise Windows Media Player;
    3. On the menu bar, choose TOOLS then OPTIONS;
    4. Select the PERFORMANCE tab;
    5. Move the 'video acceleration' setting off 'Full'
    6. Click on the OK button;
    7. Close Windows Media Player;

    (Info: WinXP SP2, Windows Media Player 10, AMD XP3200, 512MB RAM)

    --
    badteethPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
  7. I have been fighting this problem for about a week.

    Sincerely,
    strikesback5
    admiralxgmx@yahoo.com
    http://s1.zetaboards.com/ssfree/index/
    http://s1.zetaboards.com/CoreWWW/index/
    http://s1.zetaboards.com/The_Alliance/index/
    http://www.reenactor.cz.tc/
    http://z8.invisionfree.com/Total_Recall_Forums
  9. Quote:

    This fixed the 'sound but no video' problem in Windows Media Player for
    me:

    1. Start Windows Media Player;
    2. If not maximised, maximise Windows Media Player;
    3. On the menu bar, choose TOOLS then OPTIONS;
    4. Select the PERFORMANCE tab;
    5. Move the 'video acceleration' setting off 'Full'
    6. Click on the OK button;
    7. Close Windows Media Player;

    (Info: WinXP SP2, Windows Media Player 10, AMD XP3200, 512MB RAM)

    --
    badteethPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    This worked great for me !!!!

Video Media Player Windows XP