Choosing a file format for video (VHS to Mac to PC)

Archived from groups: comp.multimedia,rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.mac.hardware.video (More info?)

I am doing a project which involves extracting clips of video from VHS
tapes and putting them into a digital format that will playback on a
PC.

The problem is, the machine I am using to extract the clips is a Mac
(with Imovie) and there are so many different file formats to choose
from.

So my question is:

- what is the best compressed video format to choose so the final
product plays on Windows Media Player?

Ideally I'd like to have windows that are no smaller than 320 x 240.
The quality of the video is not overly important (mostly talking
heads) but the quality of the sound should be good. The files will be
streaming from a dedicated server to approx 50 machines within a LAN
(2 student labs).

Many thanks.

Mike

grackle wrote:

> I am doing a project which involves extracting clips of video from VHS
> tapes and putting them into a digital format that will playback on a
> PC.
>
> The problem is, the machine I am using to extract the clips is a Mac
> (with Imovie) and there are so many different file formats to choose
> from.
>
> So my question is:
>
> - what is the best compressed video format to choose so the final
> product plays on Windows Media Player?
>
> Ideally I'd like to have windows that are no smaller than 320 x 240.
> The quality of the video is not overly important (mostly talking
> heads) but the quality of the sound should be good. The files will be
> streaming from a dedicated server to approx 50 machines within a LAN
> (2 student labs).
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Mike

Why not use Mpeg-4? mpeg-4 can be written from the Mac using Quicktime
Pro, and it plays on WMV, Quicktime, and Real.

I believe that the frame sizes are about 320 x 240, and it looks pretty
darn good. This combined with AAC audio can make some pretty good small
sizes too.

Just a thought.

-Richard

In comp.multimedia Richard Ragon <bsema04NOSPAM@hanaho.com> wrote:
> Why not use Mpeg-4? mpeg-4 can be written from the Mac using Quicktime
> Pro, and it plays on WMV, Quicktime, and Real.
>
> I believe that the frame sizes are about 320 x 240, and it looks pretty
> darn good. This combined with AAC audio can make some pretty good small
> sizes too.

What is WMV? Windows Media Player?

H.

Heiko Recktenwald wrote:

> In comp.multimedia Richard Ragon <bsema04NOSPAM@hanaho.com> wrote:
>
>>Why not use Mpeg-4? mpeg-4 can be written from the Mac using Quicktime
>>Pro, and it plays on WMV, Quicktime, and Real.
>>
>>I believe that the frame sizes are about 320 x 240, and it looks pretty
>>darn good. This combined with AAC audio can make some pretty good small
>>sizes too.
>

> What is WMV? Windows Media Player?

WMV stands for Window Media Video. This is the picture that you see.
Current version is version 9 I believe. WMA stands for Windows Media
Audio, this is the audio portion. WMV doesn't necessarily have to have
WVA along with it.. sometimes videos can be encoded with WMV for the
video, and MP3 for the audio part.

-Richard

Richard Ragon <bsema04NOSPAM@hanaho.com> wrote in message news:<yTFzc.6663884$iA2.755659@news.easynews.com>...

> Heiko Recktenwald wrote:
> > What is WMV? Windows Media Player?
>
> WMV stands for Window Media Video. This is the picture that you see.
> Current version is version 9 I believe. WMA stands for Windows Media
> Audio, this is the audio portion. WMV doesn't necessarily have to have
> WVA along with it.. sometimes videos can be encoded with WMV for the
> video, and MP3 for the audio part.

I think Heiko's point was that WMV isn't the player, it's the file
format. To be perfectly frank, I think it's about time you stopped
trying to give advice -- you've got two strikes against you already.