capture audio from avi files

Hi,
I'm a novice at this and hope there's an easy solution to my question.
I used my digital camera to record 1 minute of a mockingbird singing
in a tree nearby. I would like to take the audio off that avi file
and make it into a wav file to use as accompaniment to the better
resolution still photos I've taken of the mockingbird. Is there a
free (or shareware) program that will allow me to do this with any
ease? I'm really not familiar with video editing techniques yet and
would like a program that has an easy GUI. I have Windows XP and
Moviemaker on a 2.8Gb Pentium 4 Dell with 512 RAM. TIA

Judi

Rich

"Judi" <j.magnussen@att.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm a novice at this and hope there's an easy solution to my question.
> I used my digital camera to record 1 minute of a mockingbird singing
> in a tree nearby. I would like to take the audio off that avi file
> and make it into a wav file to use as accompaniment to the better
> resolution still photos I've taken of the mockingbird. Is there a
> free (or shareware) program that will allow me to do this with any
> ease? I'm really not familiar with video editing techniques yet and
> would like a program that has an easy GUI. I have Windows XP and
> Moviemaker on a 2.8Gb Pentium 4 Dell with 512 RAM. TIA
>
> Judi

I'm sure there are a varity of methods, but looking at what you have:

Import the .AVI file into Movie Maker. Drag the file which is in the
collection onto the timeline. Now delete the images from the timeline,
which leaves just the audio. Save as a movie file, but since it has no
video it will save it as an audio file. The bad part is I don't remember
what type of audio files it allows you to save as. But it will be an audio
file.

Rich

> Hi,
> I'm a novice at this and hope there's an easy solution to my question.
> I used my digital camera to record 1 minute of a mockingbird singing
> in a tree nearby. I would like to take the audio off that avi file
> and make it into a wav file to use as accompaniment to the better
> resolution still photos I've taken of the mockingbird. Is there a
> free (or shareware) program that will allow me to do this with any
> ease? I'm really not familiar with video editing techniques yet and
> would like a program that has an easy GUI. I have Windows XP and
> Moviemaker on a 2.8Gb Pentium 4 Dell with 512 RAM. TIA
>
> Judi

VirtualDub is free and very easy. You can downlload it here.
http://www.virtualdub.org/index

Here's what you do:

Load your AVI
Go to Audio and set it to Full Processing Mode
Make sure Audio -> Compression is set to No Compression PCM
Go to File -> Save WAV
Done

"Adam H" <dfghjkl@fghjkl.ur> wrote in message news:<cae2k7$mmk$1@sparta.btinternet.com>...
> > Hi,
> > I'm a novice at this and hope there's an easy solution to my question.
> > I used my digital camera to record 1 minute of a mockingbird singing
> > in a tree nearby. I would like to take the audio off that avi file
> > and make it into a wav file to use as accompaniment to the better
> > resolution still photos I've taken of the mockingbird. Is there a
> > free (or shareware) program that will allow me to do this with any
> > ease? I'm really not familiar with video editing techniques yet and
> > would like a program that has an easy GUI. I have Windows XP and
> > Moviemaker on a 2.8Gb Pentium 4 Dell with 512 RAM. TIA
> >
> > Judi
>
> VirtualDub is free and very easy. You can downlload it here.
> http://www.virtualdub.org/index
>

> Here's what you do:
>
> Load your AVI
> Go to Audio and set it to Full Processing Mode
> Make sure Audio -> Compression is set to No Compression PCM
> Go to File -> Save WAV
> Done

Thanks a million for your help, Adam! I downloaded VirtualDub and
followed your instructions for a successful wav file. I really
appreciate your being explicit in your instructions. VirtualDub's
always been a mystery to me because I've evidently always downloaded
it wrong, but as most mysteries go, today it wasn't or I must have
downloaded it correctly. This is a great accomplishment and I can't
thank you enough. :0)

Judi

"Rich" <richsanchez43@usa.com> wrote in message news:<ROvyc.10817$uX2.4373@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "Judi" <j.magnussen@att.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I'm a novice at this and hope there's an easy solution to my question.
> > I used my digital camera to record 1 minute of a mockingbird singing
> > in a tree nearby. I would like to take the audio off that avi file
> > and make it into a wav file to use as accompaniment to the better
> > resolution still photos I've taken of the mockingbird. Is there a
> > free (or shareware) program that will allow me to do this with any
> > ease? I'm really not familiar with video editing techniques yet and
> > would like a program that has an easy GUI. I have Windows XP and
> > Moviemaker on a 2.8Gb Pentium 4 Dell with 512 RAM. TIA
> >
> > Judi
>
> I'm sure there are a varity of methods, but looking at what you have:
>
> Import the .AVI file into Movie Maker. Drag the file which is in the
> collection onto the timeline. Now delete the images from the timeline,
> which leaves just the audio. Save as a movie file, but since it has no
> video it will save it as an audio file. The bad part is I don't remember
> what type of audio files it allows you to save as. But it will be an audio
> file.
>
> Rich

Thanks, Rich, for your reply. I tried to do as you instructed but
when I dragged the video to the timeline, it would not allow me to
just delete the images (or I just didn't know how)-- without also
deleting the audio. I couldn't figure out how to only select the
audio for editing... As you will note from the subsequent response
from Adam, I was able to download VirtualDub (quite an accomplishment
for me...) and successfully created a wav file like I wanted. I
really appreciate your response. Thanks, again.

Judi

> > Here's what you do:
> >
> > Load your AVI
> > Go to Audio and set it to Full Processing Mode
> > Make sure Audio -> Compression is set to No Compression PCM
> > Go to File -> Save WAV
> > Done
>

> Thanks a million for your help, Adam! I downloaded VirtualDub and
> followed your instructions for a successful wav file. I really
> appreciate your being explicit in your instructions. VirtualDub's
> always been a mystery to me because I've evidently always downloaded
> it wrong, but as most mysteries go, today it wasn't or I must have
> downloaded it correctly. This is a great accomplishment and I can't
> thank you enough. :0)
>
> Judi

Glad I could help. VirtualDub is an absolute gem of a program, and it's a
freebie, so you can't go wrong.

> "Rich" <richsanchez43@usa.com> wrote in message
> > "Judi" <j.magnussen@att.net> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm a novice at this and hope there's an easy solution to my question.
> > > I used my digital camera to record 1 minute of a mockingbird singing
> > > in a tree nearby. I would like to take the audio off that avi file
> > > and make it into a wav file to use as accompaniment to the better
> > > resolution still photos I've taken of the mockingbird. Is there a
> > > free (or shareware) program that will allow me to do this with any
> > > ease? I'm really not familiar with video editing techniques yet and
> > > would like a program that has an easy GUI. I have Windows XP and
> > > Moviemaker on a 2.8Gb Pentium 4 Dell with 512 RAM. TIA
> > >
> > > Judi
> >
> > I'm sure there are a varity of methods, but looking at what you have:
> >
> > Import the .AVI file into Movie Maker. Drag the file which is in the
> > collection onto the timeline. Now delete the images from the timeline,
> > which leaves just the audio. Save as a movie file, but since it has no
> > video it will save it as an audio file. The bad part is I don't
remember
> > what type of audio files it allows you to save as. But it will be an
audio
> > file.
> >
> > Rich
>
> Thanks, Rich, for your reply. I tried to do as you instructed but
> when I dragged the video to the timeline, it would not allow me to
> just delete the images (or I just didn't know how)-- without also
> deleting the audio. I couldn't figure out how to only select the
> audio for editing... As you will note from the subsequent response
> from Adam, I was able to download VirtualDub (quite an accomplishment
> for me...) and successfully created a wav file like I wanted. I
> really appreciate your response. Thanks, again.
>
> Judi

VirtualDub would have been my next suggestion. (Grin) But it can be a scary
program at times....

Glad you got it working.

Rich

Latest posts