How do I connect wireless to wired home network?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
September 23, 2004 11:47:02 AM

I have 4 computers on home network wired to a D-Link 4-port router. I
bought a D-Link wireless router which I want to connect to the wired
network so that I can use a laptop around the house. I have assigned
192.168.0.1 to one computer on my home network which is the gateway
computer for a dialup Internet connection (I use ICS as well, and yes it
is slow when a couple of people are surfing). All other computers have
various IP addresses.

The wireless router and the wireless card are "b" format.

The wireless router is likely a default IP of 192.168.0.1, so I would
have to change it to something different than the other computers on the
network, I think. Can I use the wireless router as an access point?
Otherwise how do I set up my network?

BTW, I know pretty much squat about this stuff so please make it simple.

Ron
September 23, 2004 11:47:03 AM

You will not need both routers. Replace the wired router with the wireless
one, assuming that it includes wired ports as well as antennas.
September 23, 2004 10:47:02 PM

Papa wrote:

> You will not need both routers. Replace the wired router with the wireless
> one, assuming that it includes wired ports as well as antennas.

Well, I want to. That was the point of the post.

Ron
Related resources
September 24, 2004 1:05:40 AM

OK, then remove the old router, connect up the new router, and run the
install program that should have been supplied with your new router. It's a
piece of cake.

"at" <"joiner(at)ns.sympatico.ca"> wrote in message
> Papa wrote:
>
>> You will not need both routers. Replace the wired router with the
>> wireless one, assuming that it includes wired ports as well as antennas.
> Well, I want to. That was the point of the post.
>
> Ron
September 27, 2004 1:40:02 AM

Hi
That is the way to do it: Wireless Router as an AP:
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
What might be the Adavdage?
You can put the Wireless Router in a better location for good Wireless
Distance.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
> OK, then remove the old router, connect up the new router, and run the
> install program that should have been supplied with your new router. It's
> piece of cake.
>
> "at" <"joiner(at)ns.sympatico.ca"> wrote in message
> > Papa wrote:
> >
> >> You will not need both routers. Replace the wired router with the
> >> wireless one, assuming that it includes wired ports as well as
antennas.
> > Well, I want to. That was the point of the post.
> >
> > Ron

September 27, 2004 12:48:17 PM

Jack wrote:
> Hi
> That is the way to do it: Wireless Router as an AP:
> http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
> What might be the Adavdage?
> You can put the Wireless Router in a better location for good Wireless
> Distance.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
>
>>OK, then remove the old router, connect up the new router, and run the
>>install program that should have been supplied with your new router. It's

>>piece of cake.
>>
>>"at" <"joiner(at)ns.sympatico.ca"> wrote in message

> antennas.
>
>>>Well, I want to. That was the point of the post.
>>>
>>>Ron
Thanks
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 29, 2004 1:07:01 AM

I have the same problem -- 4 computers on a LAN using a wireless Linksys G
Broadband router.
I can access the Internet through the router, but I can't see the Workgroup
at all. Just a blank screen.
The computers on the LAN can see the laptop's icon but can not access it
(even though I've shared the whole C drive).
I figure the router must be ok cause I can get though to the Net, so it must
be something that in my setup on the laptop.
When I setup the router I named the group "office", whereas the Workgroup is
"horizon". I tried making it the same name, but that didn't work. (One was
capitalized and one was little letters)
Surely there is a way to access both the Internet and the Workgroup.

Any suggestions?

"Papa" wrote:

> OK, then remove the old router, connect up the new router, and run the
> install program that should have been supplied with your new router. It's a
> piece of cake.
>
> "at" <"joiner(at)ns.sympatico.ca"> wrote in message
> > Papa wrote:
> >
> >> You will not need both routers. Replace the wired router with the
> >> wireless one, assuming that it includes wired ports as well as antennas.
> > Well, I want to. That was the point of the post.
> >
> > Ron

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 29, 2004 11:44:03 AM

On the assumption you have set each machine up using the 'Wizard' and
enabled 'file and printer sharing' the likely problem is your firewall
settings. To confirm this disable the firewall on each machine and then see
if you can see the machines.

"Can't get both LAN and Internet" <Can't get both LAN and
Internet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D C1C50A0-B680-4B35-A52C-411F059EB725@microsoft.com...
>I have the same problem -- 4 computers on a LAN using a wireless Linksys G
> Broadband router.
> I can access the Internet through the router, but I can't see the
> Workgroup
> at all. Just a blank screen.
> The computers on the LAN can see the laptop's icon but can not access it
> (even though I've shared the whole C drive).
> I figure the router must be ok cause I can get though to the Net, so it
> must
> be something that in my setup on the laptop.
> When I setup the router I named the group "office", whereas the Workgroup
> is
> "horizon". I tried making it the same name, but that didn't work. (One
> was
> capitalized and one was little letters)
> Surely there is a way to access both the Internet and the Workgroup.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> "Papa" wrote:
>
>> OK, then remove the old router, connect up the new router, and run the
>> install program that should have been supplied with your new router. It's
>> piece of cake.
>>
>> "at" <"joiner(at)ns.sympatico.ca"> wrote in message

>> > Well, I want to. That was the point of the post.
>> >
>> > Ron

September 30, 2004 12:48:29 AM

All work group names for every computer in the LAN must be EXACTLY the same.

!