How do I connect wireless to wired home network?

I have 4 computers on home network wired to a D-Link 4-port router. I
bought a D-Link wireless router which I want to connect to the wired
network so that I can use a laptop around the house. I have assigned
192.168.0.1 to one computer on my home network which is the gateway
computer for a dialup Internet connection (I use ICS as well, and yes it
is slow when a couple of people are surfing). All other computers have
various IP addresses.

The wireless router and the wireless card are "b" format.

The wireless router is likely a default IP of 192.168.0.1, so I would
have to change it to something different than the other computers on the
network, I think. Can I use the wireless router as an access point?
Otherwise how do I set up my network?

BTW, I know pretty much squat about this stuff so please make it simple.

Ron
8 answers Last reply
More about connect wireless wired home network

    You will not need both routers. Replace the wired router with the wireless
    one, assuming that it includes wired ports as well as antennas.

    Papa wrote:

    > You will not need both routers. Replace the wired router with the wireless
    > one, assuming that it includes wired ports as well as antennas.

    Well, I want to. That was the point of the post.

    Ron

    OK, then remove the old router, connect up the new router, and run the
    install program that should have been supplied with your new router. It's a
    piece of cake.

    "at" <"joiner(at)ns.sympatico.ca"> wrote in message
    > Papa wrote:
    >
    >> You will not need both routers. Replace the wired router with the
    >> wireless one, assuming that it includes wired ports as well as antennas.
    > Well, I want to. That was the point of the post.
    >
    > Ron

    Hi
    That is the way to do it: Wireless Router as an AP:
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    What might be the Adavdage?
    You can put the Wireless Router in a better location for good Wireless
    Distance.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack wrote:
    > Hi
    > That is the way to do it: Wireless Router as an AP:
    > http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    > What might be the Adavdage?
    > You can put the Wireless Router in a better location for good Wireless
    > Distance.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    >
    >>OK, then remove the old router, connect up the new router, and run the
    >>install program that should have been supplied with your new router. It's

    >>piece of cake.
    >>
    >>"at" <"joiner(at)ns.sympatico.ca"> wrote in message

    > antennas.
    >
    >>>Well, I want to. That was the point of the post.
    >>>
    >>>Ron
    Thanks

    I have the same problem -- 4 computers on a LAN using a wireless Linksys G
    Broadband router.
    I can access the Internet through the router, but I can't see the Workgroup
    at all. Just a blank screen.
    The computers on the LAN can see the laptop's icon but can not access it
    (even though I've shared the whole C drive).
    I figure the router must be ok cause I can get though to the Net, so it must
    be something that in my setup on the laptop.
    When I setup the router I named the group "office", whereas the Workgroup is
    "horizon". I tried making it the same name, but that didn't work. (One was
    capitalized and one was little letters)
    Surely there is a way to access both the Internet and the Workgroup.

    Any suggestions?

    "Papa" wrote:

    > OK, then remove the old router, connect up the new router, and run the
    > install program that should have been supplied with your new router. It's a
    > piece of cake.
    >
    > "at" <"joiner(at)ns.sympatico.ca"> wrote in message
    > > Papa wrote:
    > >
    > >> You will not need both routers. Replace the wired router with the
    > >> wireless one, assuming that it includes wired ports as well as antennas.
    > > Well, I want to. That was the point of the post.
    > >
    > > Ron

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    On the assumption you have set each machine up using the 'Wizard' and
    enabled 'file and printer sharing' the likely problem is your firewall
    settings. To confirm this disable the firewall on each machine and then see
    if you can see the machines.

    "Can't get both LAN and Internet" <Can't get both LAN and
    Internet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have the same problem -- 4 computers on a LAN using a wireless Linksys G
    > Broadband router.
    > I can access the Internet through the router, but I can't see the
    > Workgroup
    > at all. Just a blank screen.
    > The computers on the LAN can see the laptop's icon but can not access it
    > (even though I've shared the whole C drive).
    > I figure the router must be ok cause I can get though to the Net, so it
    > must
    > be something that in my setup on the laptop.
    > When I setup the router I named the group "office", whereas the Workgroup
    > is
    > "horizon". I tried making it the same name, but that didn't work. (One
    > was
    > capitalized and one was little letters)
    > Surely there is a way to access both the Internet and the Workgroup.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >

    > "Papa" wrote:
    >
    >> OK, then remove the old router, connect up the new router, and run the
    >> install program that should have been supplied with your new router. It's
    >> piece of cake.
    >>
    >> "at" <"joiner(at)ns.sympatico.ca"> wrote in message

    >> > Well, I want to. That was the point of the post.
    >> >
    >> > Ron

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    All work group names for every computer in the LAN must be EXACTLY the same.

    "Can't get both LAN and Internet" <Can't get both LAN and
    Internet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have the same problem -- 4 computers on a LAN using a wireless Linksys G
    > Broadband router.
    > I can access the Internet through the router, but I can't see the
    > Workgroup
    > at all. Just a blank screen.
    > The computers on the LAN can see the laptop's icon but can not access it
    > (even though I've shared the whole C drive).
    > I figure the router must be ok cause I can get though to the Net, so it
    > must
    > be something that in my setup on the laptop.
    > When I setup the router I named the group "office", whereas the Workgroup
    > is
    > "horizon". I tried making it the same name, but that didn't work. (One
    > was
    > capitalized and one was little letters)
    > Surely there is a way to access both the Internet and the Workgroup.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >

    > "Papa" wrote:
    >
    >> OK, then remove the old router, connect up the new router, and run the
    >> install program that should have been supplied with your new router. It's
    >> piece of cake.
    >>
    >> "at" <"joiner(at)ns.sympatico.ca"> wrote in message

    >> > Well, I want to. That was the point of the post.
    >> >
    >> > Ron

Wireless Wireless Router Wireless Networking