Burn DVDs from MicroMV?

I just bought a Sony DCR-IP1, which uses MicroMV tapes. It came with
ImageMixer and MovieShaker software. I am a newbie to video but I am
good with computers.

I have 4 hours worth of video that I want to eventually put on DVD. I
installed ImageMixer and have loaded some video clips to my pc in .MPG
and .AVI formats. It looks like the .AVI should be better quality
since the same 16 second clip is 109meg vs. 7meg for the .MPG. But
they both look the same when I play them on my pc and they both look
bad when I play them full screen, they are all "pixelated".

I don't need perfect videos. I don't want to edit much, just cut out
a few scenes. But I would like to get them onto DVDs. I need some
recommendations on how to get started putting them on DVDs. Should I
use .AVI? Then use something like Nero to burn them to DVD?
ImageMixer talks about Video CD but never mentions DVD. Also I have
not installed MovieShaker yet since it looks like it is just for the
i.Link cable (I am using USB).

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Mick

I burned a couple of clips to DVD using 'Sonic MyDVD'. I tried a .MPG
and .AVI. Both looked the same when I played the DVD on my TV, but
they didn't look very good, there was some "pixelation". Then I
played the tape straight from my video camera to the TV and it looked
great!

How can I burn clips to DVD that look as good as playing the tape
straight from the camera?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions,
Mick

On 12 Jun 2004 11:16:58 -0700, Google@TradeHound.com (TradeHound)
wrote:

>I just bought a Sony DCR-IP1, which uses MicroMV tapes. It came with
>ImageMixer and MovieShaker software. I am a newbie to video but I am
>good with computers.
>
>I have 4 hours worth of video that I want to eventually put on DVD. I
>installed ImageMixer and have loaded some video clips to my pc in .MPG
>and .AVI formats. It looks like the .AVI should be better quality
>since the same 16 second clip is 109meg vs. 7meg for the .MPG. But
>they both look the same when I play them on my pc and they both look
>bad when I play them full screen, they are all "pixelated".
>
>I don't need perfect videos. I don't want to edit much, just cut out
>a few scenes. But I would like to get them onto DVDs. I need some
>recommendations on how to get started putting them on DVDs. Should I
>use .AVI? Then use something like Nero to burn them to DVD?
>ImageMixer talks about Video CD but never mentions DVD. Also I have
>not installed MovieShaker yet since it looks like it is just for the
>i.Link cable (I am using USB).

I think the most uncomplicated way is to use MovieShaker as it can
perform all tasks from capturing to editing and saving in the right
format (mpeg2) for dvd.

Better not use .avi as MicroMV is in mpeg2 format and it is
unnecessary to transform to .avi and then back again to mpeg2.

As MovieShaker saves it's files in its own .mmv format, there is a
small program available which can transform this into standard .mpg
(program stream opposed to transport stream), you can find it here:
http://www.jtrowe.com/postnuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=1
..
After capturing, editing and saving with MovieShaker, you can
transform the .mmv file into .mpg with the program I've mentioned.
This file now is ready for de-multiplexing into elementary audio and
video streams, which can be done by TMPGENc from www.pegasys-inc.com
under: MPEG-tools. You get two files after this procedure, which can
be used by a small program called IfoEdit (easily found via internet),
to generate the contents of a VIDEO_TS folder. Choose dvd-author in
IfoEdit and select the two files generated by TMPGENc' MPEG-tools.

Now you can use Nero's video-dvd option, drag the contents of the
VIDEO_TS folder created by IfoEdit into the folder with the same name
provided by Nero and burn a dvd.

As MicroMV's mpeg2 is 12 Mb/s, which is higher than allowed by the
official dvd specs, you could encounter problems playing this on your
standalone dvd player (it worked fine on mine). Should this be the
case then lowering the bitrate into dvd compliant is possible with
TMPGENc. This program is free to use for a number of days.

TRENDING THREADS