Machine hangs intermittently while capturing video

June 7, 2005 2:20:06 AM

Hi Folks,

My recently upgraded machine stops responding intermittently while I am
capturing video from camcorder, or while I am just rewinding the tape
using the software ( Microsoft Movie Maker, Pinnacle Studio 8)

New Hardware installed :
- Abit VT7 motherboard
- Pentium 4 3.0GHz E, 478 socket
- Corsair 1GB PC3200 Dual DDR memory
- eVGA GeForce4 MMX4000 64MB graphics card (8x AGP)

Other details :
- Sony Digital 8 Camcorder
- ADS Technologies Pyro 1394 EEE PCI car
- Windows XP Professional SP2

- Tried Memtest86 for memory test. It was successful. No erros
detected.
- Tried new drivers for graphics card. But system gave blue screen
"System Malfunction..Hardware Problem"
some time after starting "video capture"
- Reduced Hardware Acceleration

- Checked even log for "Errors". There was mention of some
"Serial"..but when connected to Microsoft site for more details,
nothing was found in microsoft knowledgebase.

Other points to note : 3-4 times in last 3-4 days, I have seen that
after the machine boots up, mouse is not responding, and I have to
restart the machine for mouse to work. Not sure if it is related.

Anybody has any clues? Any pointers would help.

Thanks

--
netrg101Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

Sounds like it could be PSU (power supply) insufficiency. What wattage PSU
are you running?

Overheating can also play a bit part.

--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"netrg101" <netrg101.1q85ab@> wrote in message

> Hi Folks,
>
> My recently upgraded machine stops responding intermittently while I am
> capturing video from camcorder, or while I am just rewinding the tape
> using the software ( Microsoft Movie Maker, Pinnacle Studio 8)
>
> New Hardware installed :
> - Abit VT7 motherboard
> - Pentium 4 3.0GHz E, 478 socket
> - Corsair 1GB PC3200 Dual DDR memory
> - eVGA GeForce4 MMX4000 64MB graphics card (8x AGP)
>
> Other details :
> - Sony Digital 8 Camcorder
> - ADS Technologies Pyro 1394 EEE PCI car
> - Windows XP Professional SP2
>
> - Tried Memtest86 for memory test. It was successful. No erros
> detected.
> - Tried new drivers for graphics card. But system gave blue screen
> "System Malfunction..Hardware Problem"
> some time after starting "video capture"
> - Reduced Hardware Acceleration
>
> - Checked even log for "Errors". There was mention of some
> "Serial"..but when connected to Microsoft site for more details,
> nothing was found in microsoft knowledgebase.
>
> Other points to note : 3-4 times in last 3-4 days, I have seen that
> after the machine boots up, mouse is not responding, and I have to
> restart the machine for mouse to work. Not sure if it is related.
>
> Anybody has any clues? Any pointers would help.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> netrg101Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 5:45:01 AM

Thanks for your response Cari. The power supply I am using is rated for
400W.

Is there any way to figure out if overheating is happening?

Thanks

--
netrg101Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
June 7, 2005 1:07:21 PM

Looks like the graphics card at 64 mb. may be your weakest link for DV
capturing. 128 mb. is the "norm," these days. 256 mb. if you've got the
money! Also, if your trying to capture to the same disk that the OS is
running on, your competing with a lot of background processes that the
OS has to perform.
Justmy2cents,
Treeman

--
Treeman

June 7, 2005 2:52:35 PM

You can download and install Everest Home (free) from Lavalys.com and run
it... clicking on the Computer then Sensor should tell you how warm the
system is getting.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging