Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DVD/CD Rom drives not recognised

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:32:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

undefined

:mad:  Since upgrading to XP Pro from W2K a few weeks back my CDR and
DVD drives are no longer recognised. In device manager an exclamation
shows and I've been unable to find either an XP or more up to date
driver. The drives in question are the NEC NR-7800A and NEC DV-5800A
(In a Dell Dimesion 4300 machine) Does anyone have any idea on how I
might approach getting these drives operating again?


--
scarbo
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:01:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

First thing to try is Alex Nichol's fix at:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems

Then ensure your DVD and CD burning software is up to date with any patches
that may be required.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging



"scarbo" <scarbo.1q8adp@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
news:scarbo.1q8adp@pcbanter.net...
>
> undefined
>
> :mad:  Since upgrading to XP Pro from W2K a few weeks back my CDR and
> DVD drives are no longer recognised. In device manager an exclamation
> shows and I've been unable to find either an XP or more up to date
> driver. The drives in question are the NEC NR-7800A and NEC DV-5800A
> (In a Dell Dimesion 4300 machine) Does anyone have any idea on how I
> might approach getting these drives operating again?
>
>
> --
> scarbo
>
June 7, 2005 3:56:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I tried that link, but it says that the downloads there are not as recent as
the service packs I already have, so it won't install them. How strange...I
wonder what the problem could be?
Related resources
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:03:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Did you try going into Device Manager, right clicking and uninstalling each
drive, then rebooting and letting XP reinstall them?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging



"David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:953963B1-A0AA-4C5F-AF83-23667FE2DD41@microsoft.com...
>I tried that link, but it says that the downloads there are not as recent
>as
> the service packs I already have, so it won't install them. How
> strange...I
> wonder what the problem could be?
>
June 7, 2005 4:40:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I have the same problem as Scabrio. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but it
still doesn't work! I give up!
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 9:21:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Are they recognized correctly in the BIOS?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging



"David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 3414018-E392-412F-86F5-6372D3600FBF@microsoft.com...
>I have the same problem as Scabrio. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but
>it
> still doesn't work! I give up!
>
June 18, 2005 11:06:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hi! I also have this same problem, and have my NEW computer back to the
service department twice to resolve the issues. They can't seem to fix it
either. Now I can't burn anything that can be read by a home DVD player. HP
Pavilion a720n, WindowsXP SP2 (preinstalled), all updates completed, all
scans up to date, using Sonic RecordNow and WinDVD. Any suggestions??
Thanks!

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Are they recognized correctly in the BIOS?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
>
>
> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 3414018-E392-412F-86F5-6372D3600FBF@microsoft.com...
> >I have the same problem as Scabrio. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but
> >it
> > still doesn't work! I give up!
> >
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 12:58:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

First of all do you have the correct format DVD for your standalone player?
You can check whether that would be DVD-R or DVD+R at www.videohelp.com

Again, are the optical drives appearing correctly in the BIOS?

Do they show up correctly in Device Manager?


--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging



"bac" <bac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B3EA0944-2D99-4126-A0B1-AFADC3D66895@microsoft.com...
> Hi! I also have this same problem, and have my NEW computer back to the
> service department twice to resolve the issues. They can't seem to fix it
> either. Now I can't burn anything that can be read by a home DVD player.
> HP
> Pavilion a720n, WindowsXP SP2 (preinstalled), all updates completed, all
> scans up to date, using Sonic RecordNow and WinDVD. Any suggestions??
> Thanks!
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Are they recognized correctly in the BIOS?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>
>>
>>
>> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 3414018-E392-412F-86F5-6372D3600FBF@microsoft.com...
>> >I have the same problem as Scabrio. I tried reinstalling the drivers,
>> >but
>> >it
>> > still doesn't work! I give up!
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 9:46:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I also have this problem and have been struggling with it for a while now. I
run a home based business that is my sole income, and I am losing money due
to this. Seems to me that Microsoft has a problem on their hands and I am
sure we would all appreciate a fix for this. Any other ideas?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> First of all do you have the correct format DVD for your standalone player?
> You can check whether that would be DVD-R or DVD+R at www.videohelp.com
>
> Again, are the optical drives appearing correctly in the BIOS?
>
> Do they show up correctly in Device Manager?
>
>
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
>
>
> "bac" <bac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B3EA0944-2D99-4126-A0B1-AFADC3D66895@microsoft.com...
> > Hi! I also have this same problem, and have my NEW computer back to the
> > service department twice to resolve the issues. They can't seem to fix it
> > either. Now I can't burn anything that can be read by a home DVD player.
> > HP
> > Pavilion a720n, WindowsXP SP2 (preinstalled), all updates completed, all
> > scans up to date, using Sonic RecordNow and WinDVD. Any suggestions??
> > Thanks!
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Are they recognized correctly in the BIOS?
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Printing & Imaging
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D 3414018-E392-412F-86F5-6372D3600FBF@microsoft.com...
> >> >I have the same problem as Scabrio. I tried reinstalling the drivers,
> >> >but
> >> >it
> >> > still doesn't work! I give up!
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 11:11:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Sherry, please don't tag on to an ongoing thread unless you are asking for
assistance and tell us exactly what your problem is. Saying "me to" is
tantamount to giving absoutely zero information.

MS has no problem on their hands with optical drives. Either you as the
User have installed and uninstalled programs or your motherboard or cable or
PSU or optical drive itself is faulty. Without your providing more
information I cannot assist further.

I will tell you however that my optical drives have NEVER disappeared on ANY
of my six PCs. They have never not worked, other than one CD ROM drive,
nearly five years old, that failed during a Repair Installation of a Windows
2003 Server PC. Between the 6 PCs, they run nine optical drives.

--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging



"SherryMH" <SherryMH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 505DA25-5295-44F4-82B0-2991882AF2C0@microsoft.com...
>I also have this problem and have been struggling with it for a while now.
>I
> run a home based business that is my sole income, and I am losing money
> due
> to this. Seems to me that Microsoft has a problem on their hands and I am
> sure we would all appreciate a fix for this. Any other ideas?
>
June 21, 2005 4:07:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Wow, I searched my computer for 'bios' and about 50 showed up! I'm new to
XP, so please bear with me! It seems the properties for almost all of these
bios files say 'extension/file not recognized', so I don't know if this helps
at all. I looked in the System Settings, and it does show up as a Philips
DVD8421 DVD drive. (it's a dual layer capable DVD/CD Rom writer combo, with
separate CD drive/player). I went to the site you mentioned, and it looks so
confusing I wasn't sure where to begin, as everything I input for searches
came up blank. I REALLY want my old computer back!!! Pardon my ignorance on
this one!
bac

"bac" wrote:

> Hi! I also have this same problem, and have my NEW computer back to the
> service department twice to resolve the issues. They can't seem to fix it
> either. Now I can't burn anything that can be read by a home DVD player. HP
> Pavilion a720n, WindowsXP SP2 (preinstalled), all updates completed, all
> scans up to date, using Sonic RecordNow and WinDVD. Any suggestions??
> Thanks!
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Are they recognized correctly in the BIOS?
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > Printing & Imaging
> >
> >
> >
> > "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:D 3414018-E392-412F-86F5-6372D3600FBF@microsoft.com...
> > >I have the same problem as Scabrio. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but
> > >it
> > > still doesn't work! I give up!
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 6:46:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

You don't enter the BIOS from within Windows, you enter it at startup. Your
PC manual would be the best place to look for instructions.

However, in the meantime, see the late Alex Nichol's article at:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging



"bac" <bac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EC816C9F-D8E5-4E68-AF7A-E3786ED90902@microsoft.com...
> Wow, I searched my computer for 'bios' and about 50 showed up! I'm new to
> XP, so please bear with me! It seems the properties for almost all of
> these
> bios files say 'extension/file not recognized', so I don't know if this
> helps
> at all. I looked in the System Settings, and it does show up as a Philips
> DVD8421 DVD drive. (it's a dual layer capable DVD/CD Rom writer combo,
> with
> separate CD drive/player). I went to the site you mentioned, and it looks
> so
> confusing I wasn't sure where to begin, as everything I input for searches
> came up blank. I REALLY want my old computer back!!! Pardon my ignorance
> on
> this one!
> bac
>
> "bac" wrote:
>
>> Hi! I also have this same problem, and have my NEW computer back to the
>> service department twice to resolve the issues. They can't seem to fix
>> it
>> either. Now I can't burn anything that can be read by a home DVD player.
>> HP
>> Pavilion a720n, WindowsXP SP2 (preinstalled), all updates completed, all
>> scans up to date, using Sonic RecordNow and WinDVD. Any suggestions??
>> Thanks!
>>
>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>>
>> > Are they recognized correctly in the BIOS?
>> > --
>> > Cari (MS-MVP)
>> > Printing & Imaging
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > news:D 3414018-E392-412F-86F5-6372D3600FBF@microsoft.com...
>> > >I have the same problem as Scabrio. I tried reinstalling the drivers,
>> > >but
>> > >it
>> > > still doesn't work! I give up!
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>
June 21, 2005 11:02:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Oh, I feel so stupid! I'll get out the manual and do some more heavy reading
on-line! Thanks for the article you referred me to.


"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You don't enter the BIOS from within Windows, you enter it at startup. Your
> PC manual would be the best place to look for instructions.
>
> However, in the meantime, see the late Alex Nichol's article at:
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
>
>
> "bac" <bac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:EC816C9F-D8E5-4E68-AF7A-E3786ED90902@microsoft.com...
> > Wow, I searched my computer for 'bios' and about 50 showed up! I'm new to
> > XP, so please bear with me! It seems the properties for almost all of
> > these
> > bios files say 'extension/file not recognized', so I don't know if this
> > helps
> > at all. I looked in the System Settings, and it does show up as a Philips
> > DVD8421 DVD drive. (it's a dual layer capable DVD/CD Rom writer combo,
> > with
> > separate CD drive/player). I went to the site you mentioned, and it looks
> > so
> > confusing I wasn't sure where to begin, as everything I input for searches
> > came up blank. I REALLY want my old computer back!!! Pardon my ignorance
> > on
> > this one!
> > bac
> >
> > "bac" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi! I also have this same problem, and have my NEW computer back to the
> >> service department twice to resolve the issues. They can't seem to fix
> >> it
> >> either. Now I can't burn anything that can be read by a home DVD player.
> >> HP
> >> Pavilion a720n, WindowsXP SP2 (preinstalled), all updates completed, all
> >> scans up to date, using Sonic RecordNow and WinDVD. Any suggestions??
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >>
> >> > Are they recognized correctly in the BIOS?
> >> > --
> >> > Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> > Printing & Imaging
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> > news:D 3414018-E392-412F-86F5-6372D3600FBF@microsoft.com...
> >> > >I have the same problem as Scabrio. I tried reinstalling the drivers,
> >> > >but
> >> > >it
> >> > > still doesn't work! I give up!
> >> > >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:50:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

No problem, we all start somewhere... and that's when the learning begins!
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging



"bac" <bac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:417BAC01-B01D-42F2-8988-AF5BB998E65E@microsoft.com...
> Oh, I feel so stupid! I'll get out the manual and do some more heavy
> reading
> on-line! Thanks for the article you referred me to.
>
>
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 7:39:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

ok question for you. i have posted a question before but i will try to find
it. i have a hp pavillion with windows xp service pack 2 i have burned cds
many times. i used to have registry cleaner (until i found out it could be
harmful) all of my updates are current. i have windows media player and
musicmatch within the past couple of months i can not read (play) factory or
burned music cds on my laptop at all. i can play dvds and data cds and they
will play immediately. the music cds are not recognized at all.i contacted
hp and they had me uninstall and reinstall the cd/dvd player. i did and
there was no change. i am thinking that maybe registry cleaner snagged
something that i needed and was deleted. i would appreciate anyones honest
intelligent help i will use the patch that I saw in another instance.
thanks. DeedleGizz@hotmail.com

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> First thing to try is Alex Nichol's fix at:
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
>
> Then ensure your DVD and CD burning software is up to date with any patches
> that may be required.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
>
>
> "scarbo" <scarbo.1q8adp@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
> news:scarbo.1q8adp@pcbanter.net...
> >
> > undefined
> >
> > :mad:  Since upgrading to XP Pro from W2K a few weeks back my CDR and
> > DVD drives are no longer recognised. In device manager an exclamation
> > shows and I've been unable to find either an XP or more up to date
> > driver. The drives in question are the NEC NR-7800A and NEC DV-5800A
> > (In a Dell Dimesion 4300 machine) Does anyone have any idea on how I
> > might approach getting these drives operating again?
> >
> >
> > --
> > scarbo
> >
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 8:30:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hi everyone this is deedlegizz, i had some cd problems my laptop all of a
sudden would not recognize any music cds drove me absolutely crazy. and that
is being so reserved by far. i clicked on the link
http://aumha.org/win5/axpcd.php#problems and it showed that service pack 2
was newer. i was about ready to give up. damn if the music on both wm10 and
music match recognized both burned and factory cds. praise all of you. dont
know what it did but BLESS YOU. BLESS YOU. BLESS YOU.
"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> First thing to try is Alex Nichol's fix at:
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
>
> Then ensure your DVD and CD burning software is up to date with any patches
> that may be required.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
>
>
> "scarbo" <scarbo.1q8adp@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
> news:scarbo.1q8adp@pcbanter.net...
> >
> > undefined
> >
> > :mad:  Since upgrading to XP Pro from W2K a few weeks back my CDR and
> > DVD drives are no longer recognised. In device manager an exclamation
> > shows and I've been unable to find either an XP or more up to date
> > driver. The drives in question are the NEC NR-7800A and NEC DV-5800A
> > (In a Dell Dimesion 4300 machine) Does anyone have any idea on how I
> > might approach getting these drives operating again?
> >
> >
> > --
> > scarbo
> >
>
>
>
>
!