DVD/CD Rom drives not recognised

undefined

:mad: Since upgrading to XP Pro from W2K a few weeks back my CDR and
DVD drives are no longer recognised. In device manager an exclamation
shows and I've been unable to find either an XP or more up to date
driver. The drives in question are the NEC NR-7800A and NEC DV-5800A
(In a Dell Dimesion 4300 machine) Does anyone have any idea on how I
might approach getting these drives operating again?

--
scarbo
15 answers Last reply

    First thing to try is Alex Nichol's fix at:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems

    Then ensure your DVD and CD burning software is up to date with any patches
    that may be required.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "scarbo" <scarbo.1q8adp@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > undefined
    >
    > :mad: Since upgrading to XP Pro from W2K a few weeks back my CDR and
    > DVD drives are no longer recognised. In device manager an exclamation
    > shows and I've been unable to find either an XP or more up to date
    > driver. The drives in question are the NEC NR-7800A and NEC DV-5800A
    > (In a Dell Dimesion 4300 machine) Does anyone have any idea on how I
    > might approach getting these drives operating again?
    >

    > --
    > scarbo

    I tried that link, but it says that the downloads there are not as recent as
    the service packs I already have, so it won't install them. How strange...I
    wonder what the problem could be?

    Did you try going into Device Manager, right clicking and uninstalling each
    drive, then rebooting and letting XP reinstall them?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    >I tried that link, but it says that the downloads there are not as recent
    >as
    > the service packs I already have, so it won't install them. How
    > strange...I
    > wonder what the problem could be?

    I have the same problem as Scabrio. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but it
    still doesn't work! I give up!

    Are they recognized correctly in the BIOS?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    >I have the same problem as Scabrio. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but
    >it
    > still doesn't work! I give up!

    Hi! I also have this same problem, and have my NEW computer back to the
    service department twice to resolve the issues. They can't seem to fix it
    either. Now I can't burn anything that can be read by a home DVD player. HP
    Pavilion a720n, WindowsXP SP2 (preinstalled), all updates completed, all
    scans up to date, using Sonic RecordNow and WinDVD. Any suggestions??
    Thanks!

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Are they recognized correctly in the BIOS?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have the same problem as Scabrio. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but
    > >it
    > > still doesn't work! I give up!

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    First of all do you have the correct format DVD for your standalone player?
    You can check whether that would be DVD-R or DVD+R at www.videohelp.com

    Again, are the optical drives appearing correctly in the BIOS?

    Do they show up correctly in Device Manager?

    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "bac" <bac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi! I also have this same problem, and have my NEW computer back to the
    > service department twice to resolve the issues. They can't seem to fix it
    > either. Now I can't burn anything that can be read by a home DVD player.
    > HP
    > Pavilion a720n, WindowsXP SP2 (preinstalled), all updates completed, all
    > scans up to date, using Sonic RecordNow and WinDVD. Any suggestions??
    > Thanks!
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Are they recognized correctly in the BIOS?
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have the same problem as Scabrio. I tried reinstalling the drivers,
    >> >but
    >> >it
    >> > still doesn't work! I give up!

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    I also have this problem and have been struggling with it for a while now. I
    run a home based business that is my sole income, and I am losing money due
    to this. Seems to me that Microsoft has a problem on their hands and I am
    sure we would all appreciate a fix for this. Any other ideas?

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > First of all do you have the correct format DVD for your standalone player?
    > You can check whether that would be DVD-R or DVD+R at www.videohelp.com
    >
    > Again, are the optical drives appearing correctly in the BIOS?
    >
    > Do they show up correctly in Device Manager?
    >

    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "bac" <bac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi! I also have this same problem, and have my NEW computer back to the
    > > service department twice to resolve the issues. They can't seem to fix it
    > > either. Now I can't burn anything that can be read by a home DVD player.
    > > HP
    > > Pavilion a720n, WindowsXP SP2 (preinstalled), all updates completed, all
    > > scans up to date, using Sonic RecordNow and WinDVD. Any suggestions??
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are they recognized correctly in the BIOS?
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> Printing & Imaging
    > >>

    > >> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Sherry, please don't tag on to an ongoing thread unless you are asking for
    assistance and tell us exactly what your problem is. Saying "me to" is
    tantamount to giving absoutely zero information.

    MS has no problem on their hands with optical drives. Either you as the
    User have installed and uninstalled programs or your motherboard or cable or
    PSU or optical drive itself is faulty. Without your providing more
    information I cannot assist further.

    I will tell you however that my optical drives have NEVER disappeared on ANY
    of my six PCs. They have never not worked, other than one CD ROM drive,
    nearly five years old, that failed during a Repair Installation of a Windows
    2003 Server PC. Between the 6 PCs, they run nine optical drives.

    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "SherryMH" <SherryMH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I also have this problem and have been struggling with it for a while now.
    > run a home based business that is my sole income, and I am losing money
    > due
    > to this. Seems to me that Microsoft has a problem on their hands and I am
    > sure we would all appreciate a fix for this. Any other ideas?

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Wow, I searched my computer for 'bios' and about 50 showed up! I'm new to
    XP, so please bear with me! It seems the properties for almost all of these
    bios files say 'extension/file not recognized', so I don't know if this helps
    at all. I looked in the System Settings, and it does show up as a Philips
    DVD8421 DVD drive. (it's a dual layer capable DVD/CD Rom writer combo, with
    separate CD drive/player). I went to the site you mentioned, and it looks so
    confusing I wasn't sure where to begin, as everything I input for searches
    came up blank. I REALLY want my old computer back!!! Pardon my ignorance on
    this one!
    bac

    "bac" wrote:

    > Hi! I also have this same problem, and have my NEW computer back to the
    > service department twice to resolve the issues. They can't seem to fix it
    > either. Now I can't burn anything that can be read by a home DVD player. HP
    > Pavilion a720n, WindowsXP SP2 (preinstalled), all updates completed, all
    > scans up to date, using Sonic RecordNow and WinDVD. Any suggestions??
    > Thanks!
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Are they recognized correctly in the BIOS?
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > > Printing & Imaging
    > >

    > > "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I have the same problem as Scabrio. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but
    > > >it
    > > > still doesn't work! I give up!

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    You don't enter the BIOS from within Windows, you enter it at startup. Your
    PC manual would be the best place to look for instructions.

    However, in the meantime, see the late Alex Nichol's article at:

    > Wow, I searched my computer for 'bios' and about 50 showed up! I'm new to
    > XP, so please bear with me! It seems the properties for almost all of
    > these
    > bios files say 'extension/file not recognized', so I don't know if this
    > helps
    > at all. I looked in the System Settings, and it does show up as a Philips
    > DVD8421 DVD drive. (it's a dual layer capable DVD/CD Rom writer combo,
    > with
    > separate CD drive/player). I went to the site you mentioned, and it looks
    > so
    > confusing I wasn't sure where to begin, as everything I input for searches
    > came up blank. I REALLY want my old computer back!!! Pardon my ignorance
    > on
    > this one!
    > bac
    >
    > "bac" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi! I also have this same problem, and have my NEW computer back to the
    >> service department twice to resolve the issues. They can't seem to fix
    >> it
    >> either. Now I can't burn anything that can be read by a home DVD player.
    >> HP
    >> Pavilion a720n, WindowsXP SP2 (preinstalled), all updates completed, all
    >> scans up to date, using Sonic RecordNow and WinDVD. Any suggestions??
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Are they recognized correctly in the BIOS?
    >> > --
    >> > Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> > Printing & Imaging
    >> >

    >> > "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Oh, I feel so stupid! I'll get out the manual and do some more heavy reading
    on-line! Thanks for the article you referred me to.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > You don't enter the BIOS from within Windows, you enter it at startup. Your
    > PC manual would be the best place to look for instructions.
    >
    > However, in the meantime, see the late Alex Nichol's article at:
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "bac" <bac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Wow, I searched my computer for 'bios' and about 50 showed up! I'm new to
    > > XP, so please bear with me! It seems the properties for almost all of
    > > these
    > > bios files say 'extension/file not recognized', so I don't know if this
    > > helps
    > > at all. I looked in the System Settings, and it does show up as a Philips
    > > DVD8421 DVD drive. (it's a dual layer capable DVD/CD Rom writer combo,
    > > with
    > > separate CD drive/player). I went to the site you mentioned, and it looks
    > > so
    > > confusing I wasn't sure where to begin, as everything I input for searches
    > > came up blank. I REALLY want my old computer back!!! Pardon my ignorance
    > > on
    > > this one!
    > > bac
    > >
    > > "bac" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi! I also have this same problem, and have my NEW computer back to the
    > >> service department twice to resolve the issues. They can't seem to fix
    > >> it
    > >> either. Now I can't burn anything that can be read by a home DVD player.
    > >> HP
    > >> Pavilion a720n, WindowsXP SP2 (preinstalled), all updates completed, all
    > >> scans up to date, using Sonic RecordNow and WinDVD. Any suggestions??
    > >> Thanks!

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    No problem, we all start somewhere... and that's when the learning begins!
    --

    > Oh, I feel so stupid! I'll get out the manual and do some more heavy
    > reading
    > on-line! Thanks for the article you referred me to.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    ok question for you. i have posted a question before but i will try to find
    it. i have a hp pavillion with windows xp service pack 2 i have burned cds
    many times. i used to have registry cleaner (until i found out it could be
    harmful) all of my updates are current. i have windows media player and
    musicmatch within the past couple of months i can not read (play) factory or
    burned music cds on my laptop at all. i can play dvds and data cds and they
    will play immediately. the music cds are not recognized at all.i contacted
    hp and they had me uninstall and reinstall the cd/dvd player. i did and
    there was no change. i am thinking that maybe registry cleaner snagged
    something that i needed and was deleted. i would appreciate anyones honest
    intelligent help i will use the patch that I saw in another instance.
    thanks. DeedleGizz@hotmail.com

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > First thing to try is Alex Nichol's fix at:
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
    >
    > Then ensure your DVD and CD burning software is up to date with any patches
    > that may be required.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "scarbo" <scarbo.1q8adp@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > undefined
    > >
    > > :mad: Since upgrading to XP Pro from W2K a few weeks back my CDR and
    > > DVD drives are no longer recognised. In device manager an exclamation
    > > shows and I've been unable to find either an XP or more up to date
    > > driver. The drives in question are the NEC NR-7800A and NEC DV-5800A
    > > (In a Dell Dimesion 4300 machine) Does anyone have any idea on how I
    > > might approach getting these drives operating again?
    > >

    > > --
    > > scarbo

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Hi everyone this is deedlegizz, i had some cd problems my laptop all of a
    sudden would not recognize any music cds drove me absolutely crazy. and that
    is being so reserved by far. i clicked on the link
    http://aumha.org/win5/axpcd.php#problems and it showed that service pack 2
    was newer. i was about ready to give up. damn if the music on both wm10 and
    music match recognized both burned and factory cds. praise all of you. dont
    know what it did but BLESS YOU. BLESS YOU. BLESS YOU.
    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > First thing to try is Alex Nichol's fix at:
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
    >
    > Then ensure your DVD and CD burning software is up to date with any patches
    > that may be required.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "scarbo" <scarbo.1q8adp@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > undefined
    > >
    > > :mad: Since upgrading to XP Pro from W2K a few weeks back my CDR and
    > > DVD drives are no longer recognised. In device manager an exclamation
    > > shows and I've been unable to find either an XP or more up to date
    > > driver. The drives in question are the NEC NR-7800A and NEC DV-5800A
    > > (In a Dell Dimesion 4300 machine) Does anyone have any idea on how I
    > > might approach getting these drives operating again?
    > >

    > > --
    > > scarbo

Video Windows XP