annoying horizontal line when capturing Hi-8 analog video

I've been trying to capture Hi-8 video and I'm getting fair results, except
that when I playback the captured video file, there is an annoying
horizontal line at the bottom of the window.

I've tried lots of different things to see if I could find where the problem
is. I've used both my Digital-8 Sony DCR-TRV 320 and my Hi-8 Sony CCD-TRV87
to play back the tape. I've tried different connections - (1) Firewire from
Digital-8 camcorder to PC, (2) Hi-8 camcorder to analog inputs on Digital-8
camcorder, with pass-thru on Firewire to PC; (3) analog connnection from
both Digital-8 and Hi-8 camcorders to All-in-Wonder breakout box. I've
tried capturing using Pinnacle Studio 8, Windows Movie Maker, and ATI
Multimedia Center. I've tried different Hi-8 tapes. No matter what
combination I try, I still get that annoying horizontal line at the bottom
when I try to capture from the Hi-8 tape.

When I am simply playing back the Hi-8 tape (i.e. not the captured video
file), I don't see the horizontal line in ATI TV Player (camcorder connected
via composite cables to ATI breakout box). But I see the line in the Studio
8 preview window, even before I do any capturing.

What's causing this annoying horizontal line, and what if anything can I do
to capture Hi-8 video without getting this line?

TIA

"Spoon2001" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> I've been trying to capture Hi-8 video and I'm getting fair results,
except
> that when I playback the captured video file, there is an annoying
> horizontal line at the bottom of the window.
>
> I've tried lots of different things to see if I could find where the
problem
> is. I've used both my Digital-8 Sony DCR-TRV 320 and my Hi-8 Sony
CCD-TRV87
> to play back the tape. I've tried different connections - (1) Firewire
from
> Digital-8 camcorder to PC, (2) Hi-8 camcorder to analog inputs on
Digital-8
> camcorder, with pass-thru on Firewire to PC; (3) analog connnection from
> both Digital-8 and Hi-8 camcorders to All-in-Wonder breakout box. I've
> tried capturing using Pinnacle Studio 8, Windows Movie Maker, and ATI
> Multimedia Center. I've tried different Hi-8 tapes. No matter what
> combination I try, I still get that annoying horizontal line at the bottom
> when I try to capture from the Hi-8 tape.
>
> When I am simply playing back the Hi-8 tape (i.e. not the captured video
> file), I don't see the horizontal line in ATI TV Player (camcorder
connected
> via composite cables to ATI breakout box). But I see the line in the
Studio
> 8 preview window, even before I do any capturing.
>
> What's causing this annoying horizontal line, and what if anything can I
do
> to capture Hi-8 video without getting this line?
>
> TIA

Is the line VERY close to the bottom? Is there a while dot that moves back
and forth across the line? If so, then this is normal. It is "head
switching noise". All VHS, BETA, and 8mm tapes have this. Because it is so
close to the bottom (if it is in your case) you won't see it on a TV. If
you plan on viewing the video on a computer, you're going to see it unless
you crop it out with some editing software. This will require you to
re-render the video, which can take a long time. Otherwise, don't worry
about it. It's normal (if it's what I think it is).

Sanman

Rich

"Spoon2001" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> I've been trying to capture Hi-8 video and I'm getting fair results,
except
> that when I playback the captured video file, there is an annoying
> horizontal line at the bottom of the window.
>
> I've tried lots of different things to see if I could find where the
problem
> is. I've used both my Digital-8 Sony DCR-TRV 320 and my Hi-8 Sony
CCD-TRV87
> to play back the tape. I've tried different connections - (1) Firewire
from
> Digital-8 camcorder to PC, (2) Hi-8 camcorder to analog inputs on
Digital-8
> camcorder, with pass-thru on Firewire to PC; (3) analog connnection from
> both Digital-8 and Hi-8 camcorders to All-in-Wonder breakout box. I've
> tried capturing using Pinnacle Studio 8, Windows Movie Maker, and ATI
> Multimedia Center. I've tried different Hi-8 tapes. No matter what
> combination I try, I still get that annoying horizontal line at the bottom
> when I try to capture from the Hi-8 tape.
>
> When I am simply playing back the Hi-8 tape (i.e. not the captured video
> file), I don't see the horizontal line in ATI TV Player (camcorder
connected
> via composite cables to ATI breakout box). But I see the line in the
Studio
> 8 preview window, even before I do any capturing.
>
> What's causing this annoying horizontal line, and what if anything can I
do
> to capture Hi-8 video without getting this line?
>
> TIA

It's a common problem. Here are two threads discussing it:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t155239.html
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t206746.html

Rich

It's called head switching and it's a nonbroadcast tape issue--- basically
it exists on on many consumer formats:
Beta, VHS, Hi 8 and some that aren't like 3/4". You didn't used to see it on
your tv because tv "cutoff" cropped it out. It's not a defect, you just
didn't used to see it. Adobe Premier allows you to enlarge the video frame
and crop it out yourself.

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 02:00:41 GMT, "Rich" <richsanchez43@usa.com>
wrote:

>"Spoon2001" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> I've been trying to capture Hi-8 video and I'm getting fair results,
>except
>> that when I playback the captured video file, there is an annoying
>> horizontal line at the bottom of the window.
>>
>> I've tried lots of different things to see if I could find where the
>problem
>> is. I've used both my Digital-8 Sony DCR-TRV 320 and my Hi-8 Sony
>CCD-TRV87
>> to play back the tape. I've tried different connections - (1) Firewire
>from
>> Digital-8 camcorder to PC, (2) Hi-8 camcorder to analog inputs on
>Digital-8
>> camcorder, with pass-thru on Firewire to PC; (3) analog connnection from
>> both Digital-8 and Hi-8 camcorders to All-in-Wonder breakout box. I've
>> tried capturing using Pinnacle Studio 8, Windows Movie Maker, and ATI
>> Multimedia Center. I've tried different Hi-8 tapes. No matter what
>> combination I try, I still get that annoying horizontal line at the bottom
>> when I try to capture from the Hi-8 tape.
>>
>> When I am simply playing back the Hi-8 tape (i.e. not the captured video
>> file), I don't see the horizontal line in ATI TV Player (camcorder
>connected
>> via composite cables to ATI breakout box). But I see the line in the
>Studio
>> 8 preview window, even before I do any capturing.
>>
>> What's causing this annoying horizontal line, and what if anything can I
>do
>> to capture Hi-8 video without getting this line?
>>
>> TIA
>>

>It's a common problem. Here are two threads discussing it:
>
>http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t155239.html
>http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t206746.html
>
>Rich

Using Roxio 6 and a sony 355 I capture even tapes that I cannot
remember the make of the original camcorder but it probably was an old
Sony before I got the Hi 8 . There certainly is no trouble capturing
files from the sony Hi-8 tapes.

I must be lucky
B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

"Jack Perry" <vidpro40@bitemeoptonline.net> wrote in message

> It's called head switching and it's a nonbroadcast tape issue--- basically
> it exists on on many consumer formats:
> Beta, VHS, Hi 8 and some that aren't like 3/4". You didn't used to see it
on
> your tv because tv "cutoff" cropped it out. It's not a defect, you just
> didn't used to see it. Adobe Premier allows you to enlarge the video frame
> and crop it out yourself.

Just as a note; Vegas does this too, although instead of enlarging, I would
just crop out the very bottom and leave the true size/resolution intact.

Sanman