Windows Media question:

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

I posted this on the Windows Media Player forum some time ago, ... but no
reply(s) from anyone ... so hope I can get some thoughts here; thanks!

well this is curious, .. I have WMP ver. 10.00.00.3646 on my XP home
computer. When I had version 9.xxx not too long ago, the video software I am
using permitted me to save video files as xx.wmp .. or whatever it was called
.... the issue now, however is, it keeps asking me to download WMP version
9.xxx

However, I'm presently using the vesion 10.xxx I mentioned above. And I can't
even get version 9 now.

The video software folks (Arcsoft Showbiz) don't have any info on their
websites that address this.

Any thoughts or recomendations would be greatly acknowledged.

Thanks,

--
Michael

Since you cant install WMP9 series over WMP10,i would think that thier
software doesnt recognize WMP10 in some aspects,meaning its outdated.Not
much one can do until they update.

"Michael" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I posted this on the Windows Media Player forum some time ago, ... but no
> reply(s) from anyone ... so hope I can get some thoughts here; thanks!
>
> well this is curious, .. I have WMP ver. 10.00.00.3646 on my XP home
> computer. When I had version 9.xxx not too long ago, the video software I am
> using permitted me to save video files as xx.wmp .. or whatever it was called
> ... the issue now, however is, it keeps asking me to download WMP version
> 9.xxx
>
> However, I'm presently using the vesion 10.xxx I mentioned above. And I can't
> even get version 9 now.
>
> The video software folks (Arcsoft Showbiz) don't have any info on their
> websites that address this.
>
> Any thoughts or recomendations would be greatly acknowledged.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Michael

I don't know why you can't go back to 9.
V.9 is still out there on their website and you should be able to remove 10
via Add/Remove and clicking on Add/Remove Windows components and then
deselecting Media player. Then re-install 9.
The link to 9 is:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0175119-9a5b-44c3-b1de-9b2a9aa6cff6&DisplayLang=en

HTH
Steve

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I posted this on the Windows Media Player forum some time ago, ... but no
> reply(s) from anyone ... so hope I can get some thoughts here; thanks!
>
> well this is curious, .. I have WMP ver. 10.00.00.3646 on my XP home
> computer. When I had version 9.xxx not too long ago, the video software I
am
> using permitted me to save video files as xx.wmp .. or whatever it was
called
> ... the issue now, however is, it keeps asking me to download WMP version
> 9.xxx
>
> However, I'm presently using the vesion 10.xxx I mentioned above. And I
can't
> even get version 9 now.
>
> The video software folks (Arcsoft Showbiz) don't have any info on their
> websites that address this.
>
> Any thoughts or recomendations would be greatly acknowledged.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Michael

This is a bug in their software detection logic. Please ask their support
to check the first full integer value, not just the first character of the
returned version. They're presumably seeing "10.0.0.0" and checking *1*
instead of checking *10*. =\

Now Playing: "I Believe" by "Take 6" in WMP10.
--

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I posted this on the Windows Media Player forum some time ago, ... but no
> reply(s) from anyone ... so hope I can get some thoughts here; thanks!
>
> well this is curious, .. I have WMP ver. 10.00.00.3646 on my XP home
> computer. When I had version 9.xxx not too long ago, the video software I
> am
> using permitted me to save video files as xx.wmp .. or whatever it was
> called
> ... the issue now, however is, it keeps asking me to download WMP version
> 9.xxx
>
> However, I'm presently using the vesion 10.xxx I mentioned above. And I
> can't
> even get version 9 now.
>
> The video software folks (Arcsoft Showbiz) don't have any info on their
> websites that address this.
>
> Any thoughts or recomendations would be greatly acknowledged.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Michael

TRENDING THREADS