Movie Factory pixellation from black

I just purchased U-Lead's "Movie Factory" and am very pleased with it,
except for one problem. Where the video fades up from complete black, I am
seeing a lot of pixellation in the image that follows as it fades up. I'm
exporting from Adobe Premiere 6.01 to tape and then importing back in with
Movie Factory at "Good" quality (the second level), because of the amount of
material I wish to put on one disc. This is the only situation where the
quality is unacceptable. It doesn't seem to occur with every fade-up from
black, but it does with several of them.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Steve S.

If you want the best video out of Movie Factory, what you have to do is render
your entire video project in Premiere at the highest quality setting for the
format you are using. If you are outputting mini-DV, use this setting. If you
are capturing analog format, output in the exact same format as the capture. The
resulting file will be pretty large, so it is best to output to an NTFS
partition on your hard drive. Now import the file to Movie Factory. Make all the
DVD chapters and stuff like that. When you are ready to output your video,
preferably to DVD format, click on the "Project Settings" icon. Click on the
"change MPEG settings." On the "compression" tab, max out the quality slider bar
to 100%. Set the "video data rate" to variable and max out the "kbps" data rate,
which is 8264.

The above setting will yield the highest quality DVD output (not as good as I
eventually want, but not too bad for a cheap or free program.) It also can take
quite a while to render if you have a slow computer. The only other potential
problem is you want to have your "working folder" on an NTFS partition. If your
original video file is big, the resulting DVD conversion file will also be
large, maybe larger than the FAT32 file size limit of 4GB. This could cause
Movie Factory to crash with a mysterious error after spending hours rendering.
It took me awhile to figure out this glitch. I eventually converted all my
drives to NTFS, just so I don't have to worry about file size limits.

I never use Movie Factory, or MyDVD, to capture and compress on the fly. The
captures always have the pixelizing blockiness you describe. The results you get
when you let Movie Factory take it's time and compress from a file are usually
substantially better.

I usually output my finished Movie Factory to DVD files on my hard drive. I then
use Nero to make the DVD. Sometimes, with longer DVD projects, the resulting DVD
files are longer than a standard DVD-R disk. If this happens, I use DVD Shrink
to shrink the files. DVD Shrink does a better job of compressing the video than
lowering the quality settings inside of Movie Factory.

To use the above methods, you will need plenty of disk space. 1 1/2 hours of
mini-DV video takes about 19GB of space.

Even doing the above, you aren't going to see rock solid transitions. But I have
found the latest version of Movie Factory 3 to work pretty well, especially if
the total video is one hour or less.

Thanks, I am saving your summary, and I agree this would be the way to go. I
think I'll save it for when I get a new system, i.e., a larger hard drive
(it's 80 gig now, but I have another long-standing project on it taking up
space), no concern with file-size limits, and double-layer DVD's (because if
I increase the resolution too much, the hour and 14 minutes or so of video I
want to squeeze on the DVD won't fit).

For now, I was able to mitigate the problem to an acceptable level by simply
increasing the capture resolution from 4,000 to 7,000 for the main body of
the show, and 6,000 for the two "bonus" clips. That just *barely* fits on
the DVD, and the only problem I have left is that lip-sync is off on one of
the smaller clips. If I can resolve that, I'll have an acceptable product
until I can afford a new system.

In case I want to get a new hard-drive and continue to use this system, can
you point me to a tutorial for partitioning a hard drive with an NTFS
partition? I'm running 98SE. Can you leave the rest of your computer in the
FAT32 configuration? I've never pursued it because I didn't know you could
"mix and match" configurations like that. Can this be done with an external
hard drive?

Thanks,
Steve S.

"SimMike-" <simmike@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> substantially better.
>
> I usually output my finished Movie Factory to DVD files on my hard drive.
I then
> use Nero to make the DVD. Sometimes, with longer DVD projects, the
resulting DVD
> files are longer than a standard DVD-R disk. If this happens, I use DVD
Shrink
> to shrink the files. DVD Shrink does a better job of compressing the video
than
> lowering the quality settings inside of Movie Factory.
>
> To use the above methods, you will need plenty of disk space. 1 1/2 hours
of
> mini-DV video takes about 19GB of space.
>
> Even doing the above, you aren't going to see rock solid transitions. But
I have
> found the latest version of Movie Factory 3 to work pretty well,

FYI, I ran a test with different types of transitions and settings,
and the only variable I can see that definitely affects the quality of
the fade up from black in the final authored DVD, is whether I have
"flicker removal" selected for the black clip (I'm editing with Adobe
Premiere 6.01). Too early to be sure, but this may be relevant. It
didn't eliminate the problem, but it helped. Higher resolution also
helped. This is still with exporting to tape and capturing back from
tape, because I don't have the hard-drive space to create the avi's
directly from the Premiere timeline.
Steve S.