Media Player 10 - What a ripoff

Typical Microsoft...
I upgrade to WMP 10 and all my existing mpeg files don't work. I just get
sound and a black screen. I see quite a few others posting similar problems.
It now appears that my DVD Encoders are no longer compatible with WMP 10.
Hmmm...they were fine with WMP9...what gives?

Oh...now it appears I must PURCHASE a new set of encoders, conveniently
located through the WMP10 "Plug-Ins" drop down menu. And don't think you can
the upgrade mysteriously fails to work.

Does anybody have a link for compatible DVD Encoders for WMP 10 that don't
cost money? After all, isn't WMP10 supposed to be free?
9 answers Last reply
More about media player ripoff

    Try reinstalling the application that provided the codec in the first place

    --
    Jon Hildrum
    DTS MVP
    "Pissed" <Pissed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Typical Microsoft...
    > I upgrade to WMP 10 and all my existing mpeg files don't work. I just get
    > sound and a black screen. I see quite a few others posting similar
    > problems.
    > It now appears that my DVD Encoders are no longer compatible with WMP 10.
    > Hmmm...they were fine with WMP9...what gives?
    >
    > Oh...now it appears I must PURCHASE a new set of encoders, conveniently
    > located through the WMP10 "Plug-Ins" drop down menu. And don't think you
    > can
    > the upgrade mysteriously fails to work.
    >
    > Does anybody have a link for compatible DVD Encoders for WMP 10 that don't
    > cost money? After all, isn't WMP10 supposed to be free?

    Thanks for the response. Yes, I did reinstall the application, however, WMP
    still doesn't like it. MS has a "Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility".
    When running it, my decoder is noted as "ArcSoft DVD Video; VideoDecoder.ax"
    and is noted as not compatible with WMP10. As I noted, I had no problem with
    it when using WMP9. I guess it is just the price of progress.

    "Jon_Hildrum" wrote:

    > Try reinstalling the application that provided the codec in the first place
    >
    > --
    > Jon Hildrum
    > DTS MVP
    > Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
    > www.hildrum.com
    > "Pissed" <Pissed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Typical Microsoft...
    > > I upgrade to WMP 10 and all my existing mpeg files don't work. I just get
    > > sound and a black screen. I see quite a few others posting similar
    > > problems.
    > > It now appears that my DVD Encoders are no longer compatible with WMP 10.
    > > Hmmm...they were fine with WMP9...what gives?
    > >
    > > Oh...now it appears I must PURCHASE a new set of encoders, conveniently
    > > located through the WMP10 "Plug-Ins" drop down menu. And don't think you
    > > can
    > > the upgrade mysteriously fails to work.
    > >
    > > Does anybody have a link for compatible DVD Encoders for WMP 10 that don't
    > > cost money? After all, isn't WMP10 supposed to be free?

    Did you get something like powerdvd or windvd with your DVD drive. If so try
    installing one of those applications

    --
    > Thanks for the response. Yes, I did reinstall the application, however,
    > WMP
    > still doesn't like it. MS has a "Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup
    > Utility".
    > When running it, my decoder is noted as "ArcSoft DVD Video;
    > VideoDecoder.ax"
    > and is noted as not compatible with WMP10. As I noted, I had no problem
    > with
    > it when using WMP9. I guess it is just the price of progress.
    >
    > "Jon_Hildrum" wrote:
    >
    >> Try reinstalling the application that provided the codec in the first
    >> place
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jon Hildrum
    >> DTS MVP
    >> Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
    >> www.hildrum.com
    >> "Pissed" <Pissed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Typical Microsoft...
    >> > I upgrade to WMP 10 and all my existing mpeg files don't work. I just
    >> > get
    >> > sound and a black screen. I see quite a few others posting similar
    >> > problems.
    >> > It now appears that my DVD Encoders are no longer compatible with WMP
    >> > 10.
    >> > Hmmm...they were fine with WMP9...what gives?
    >> >
    >> > Oh...now it appears I must PURCHASE a new set of encoders, conveniently
    >> > located through the WMP10 "Plug-Ins" drop down menu. And don't think
    >> > you
    >> > can
    >> > before
    >> > the upgrade mysteriously fails to work.
    >> >
    >> > Does anybody have a link for compatible DVD Encoders for WMP 10 that
    >> > don't
    >> > cost money? After all, isn't WMP10 supposed to be free?

    Yes. DVDRW Maker Gold Combo Version 6.7.0.2911, now upgraded to v.6.7.0.3805.
    Installed three times and no luck.

    This software supports Sony DVD drives, so I would assume it would be
    compliant. Unfortunately the MS utility thinks not. I have an older version
    of WinDVD, but have misplaced the key :P.

    "Jon_Hildrum" wrote:

    > Did you get something like powerdvd or windvd with your DVD drive. If so try
    > installing one of those applications
    >
    > --
    > Jon Hildrum
    > DTS MVP
    > Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
    > www.hildrum.com
    > "Pissed" <Pissed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the response. Yes, I did reinstall the application, however,
    > > WMP
    > > still doesn't like it. MS has a "Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup
    > > Utility".
    > > When running it, my decoder is noted as "ArcSoft DVD Video;
    > > VideoDecoder.ax"
    > > and is noted as not compatible with WMP10. As I noted, I had no problem
    > > with
    > > it when using WMP9. I guess it is just the price of progress.
    > >
    > > "Jon_Hildrum" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Try reinstalling the application that provided the codec in the first
    > >> place
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Jon Hildrum
    > >> DTS MVP
    > >> Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
    > >> www.hildrum.com
    > >> "Pissed" <Pissed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Well,
    V.9 is still out there on their website and you should be able to remove 10
    via Add/Remove and clicking on Add/Remove Windows components and then
    deselecting Media player. Then re-install 9.
    The link to 9 is:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0175119-9a5b-44c3-b1de-9b2a9aa6cff6&DisplayLang=en

    HTH
    Steve

    "Pissed" <Pissed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Typical Microsoft...
    > I upgrade to WMP 10 and all my existing mpeg files don't work. I just get
    > sound and a black screen. I see quite a few others posting similar
    problems.
    > It now appears that my DVD Encoders are no longer compatible with WMP 10.
    > Hmmm...they were fine with WMP9...what gives?
    >
    > Oh...now it appears I must PURCHASE a new set of encoders, conveniently
    > located through the WMP10 "Plug-Ins" drop down menu. And don't think you
    can
    > the upgrade mysteriously fails to work.
    >
    > Does anybody have a link for compatible DVD Encoders for WMP 10 that don't
    > cost money? After all, isn't WMP10 supposed to be free?

    Excellent!!! I'm surprised I didn't think of that.

    Oh well, looks like the "Add/Remove Windows Components" doesn't apply to
    WMP10. I tried it three times and it's still there. Stubborn little bugger.

    I'm going to download the Nvidia DVD Decoder(free 30 day trial) to see if it
    works. Just to satisfy my curiousity. Of course, I'll have to pay to keep it.

    But thanks for the help. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

    If you don't need to upgrade to 10, avoid it like the plague.

    "Steve Long" wrote:

    > Well,
    > V.9 is still out there on their website and you should be able to remove 10
    > via Add/Remove and clicking on Add/Remove Windows components and then
    > deselecting Media player. Then re-install 9.
    > The link to 9 is:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0175119-9a5b-44c3-b1de-9b2a9aa6cff6&DisplayLang=en
    >
    > HTH
    > Steve
    >
    > "Pissed" <Pissed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Typical Microsoft...
    > > I upgrade to WMP 10 and all my existing mpeg files don't work. I just get
    > > sound and a black screen. I see quite a few others posting similar
    > problems.
    > > It now appears that my DVD Encoders are no longer compatible with WMP 10.
    > > Hmmm...they were fine with WMP9...what gives?
    > >
    > > Oh...now it appears I must PURCHASE a new set of encoders, conveniently
    > > located through the WMP10 "Plug-Ins" drop down menu. And don't think you
    > can
    > > the upgrade mysteriously fails to work.
    > >
    > > Does anybody have a link for compatible DVD Encoders for WMP 10 that don't
    > > cost money? After all, isn't WMP10 supposed to be free?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    you need to reinstall the DVD player, not the burning app.

    Pissed wrote:

    > Yes. DVDRW Maker Gold Combo Version 6.7.0.2911, now upgraded to v.6.7.0.3805.
    > Installed three times and no luck.
    >
    > This software supports Sony DVD drives, so I would assume it would be
    > compliant. Unfortunately the MS utility thinks not. I have an older version
    > of WinDVD, but have misplaced the key :P.
    >
    > "Jon_Hildrum" wrote:
    >

    >>Did you get something like powerdvd or windvd with your DVD drive. If so try
    >>installing one of those applications
    >>
    >>--
    >>Jon Hildrum
    >>DTS MVP
    >>Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
    >>www.hildrum.com
    >>"Pissed" <Pissed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Thanks for the response. Yes, I did reinstall the application, however,
    >>>WMP
    >>>still doesn't like it. MS has a "Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup
    >>>Utility".
    >>>When running it, my decoder is noted as "ArcSoft DVD Video;
    >>>VideoDecoder.ax"
    >>>and is noted as not compatible with WMP10. As I noted, I had no problem
    >>>with
    >>>it when using WMP9. I guess it is just the price of progress.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Also,
    You get what you pay for. :rolleyes:
    'Ulead' (http://www.ulead.com/runme.htm)
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Pissed wrote:
    > Excellent!!! I'm surprised I didn't think of that.
    >
    > Oh well, looks like the "Add/Remove Windows Components" doesn't apply to
    > WMP10. I tried it three times and it's still there. Stubborn little bugger.

    To remove WMP10 you need to goto Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs
    then select "Show Updates" checkbox at the top. Afterwards locate and
    remove WMP10 which is listed under the 'updates' down in the list.

    --
    Rehan
    MS MVP (Digital Media)

Video Media Player Compatibility Microsoft Windows XP