Q: Need cable from Nikon Coolpix 4500 ouput to frame-grabb..

Hi,

Our research group is going to be purcahsing a Nikon Coolpix 4500 for use with a microscope for taking video of biological samples. We would
like to stream the data to a computer with a frame grabber. The board we were thinking of is the Nat'l Instruments PCI-1407 which has BNC
inputs only.

Does anyone know of an apprpriate cable that would connect the video ouput of the Coolpix to a BNC input?
TIA,
-Mark

Why don't you just take pictures in the camera and get much more resolution?

Gymy Bob wrote:
> Why don't you just take pictures in the camera and get much more
> resolution?

Usually you want to use the video for realtime frame and focus on the PC
screen before you take the full rez image.

> "Cueball" <bray@REMOVE.vanderbilt.edu> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Our research group is going to be purcahsing a Nikon Coolpix 4500
>> for use
> with a microscope for taking video of biological samples. We would
>> like to stream the data to a computer with a frame grabber. The
>> board we
> were thinking of is the Nat'l Instruments PCI-1407 which has BNC
>> inputs only.
>>
>> Does anyone know of an apprpriate cable that would connect the video
>> ouput of the Coolpix to a BNC input? TIA,
>> -Mark

My guess is you'll need to decode the composite video signal and split out
the sync, and in general this involves a decoder box. Check out the
application notes for your device at www.ni.com.

If you are not using currently existing software that requires this device,
consider using other hardware. There is a mass market of inexpensive PCI
capture boards that work directly with a variety of formats of composite
video, and are easily programmed via the standard Windows DirectX api, so
your project is not joined at the hip to a particular piece of hardware.
---
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

The only video I have seen come off these cams is 320 x 160. Not really
worth even focusing with.

"Mike Russell" <REgeigyMOVE@pacbellTHIS.net> wrote in message
> Gymy Bob wrote:
> > Why don't you just take pictures in the camera and get much more
> > resolution?
>
> Usually you want to use the video for realtime frame and focus on the PC
> screen before you take the full rez image.
>
> > "Cueball" <bray@REMOVE.vanderbilt.edu> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Our research group is going to be purcahsing a Nikon Coolpix 4500
> >> for use
> > with a microscope for taking video of biological samples. We would
> >> like to stream the data to a computer with a frame grabber. The
> >> board we
> > were thinking of is the Nat'l Instruments PCI-1407 which has BNC
> >> inputs only.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know of an apprpriate cable that would connect the video
> >> ouput of the Coolpix to a BNC input? TIA,
> >> -Mark
>
> My guess is you'll need to decode the composite video signal and split out
> the sync, and in general this involves a decoder box. Check out the
> application notes for your device at www.ni.com.
>
> If you are not using currently existing software that requires this
device,
> consider using other hardware. There is a mass market of inexpensive PCI
> capture boards that work directly with a variety of formats of composite
> video, and are easily programmed via the standard Windows DirectX api, so
> your project is not joined at the hip to a particular piece of hardware.
> ---
> Mike Russell
> www.curvemeister.com
> www.geigy.2y.net

Mike is right. I only need a preview image.

Any ideas on the original cabling question?
-Mark

Cueball wrote:

> Any ideas on the original cabling question?
> -Mark

You'll need not just a cable but a composite video synch splitter box to
separate the synch and video. More than likely you have four BNC cables -
synch and one each for RGB. If there is only one BNC input to the NI
capture board, you may only need an RCA female to BNC male adapter from
Radio Shack.

Consider abandoning the NI board if you have a choice in the matter, and get
a consumer PCI video capture board probably for less than the splitter would
cost
---.
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:34:37 GMT, "Mike Russell" <REgeigyMOVE@pacbellTHIS.net> wrote:
>Cueball wrote:
>
>> Any ideas on the original cabling question?
>> -Mark
>
>You'll need not just a cable but a composite video synch splitter box to
>separate the synch and video. More than likely you have four BNC cables -
>synch and one each for RGB. If there is only one BNC input to the NI
>capture board, you may only need an RCA female to BNC male adapter from
>Radio Shack.

You're right; there's only one BNC input, that takes NTSC, PAL, or VGA input. The camera puts out NTSC and PAL. I assume the one cable
should be acceptable for this...?

>Consider abandoning the NI board if you have a choice in the matter, and get
>a consumer PCI video capture board probably for less than the splitter would
>cost

We're no too hoprribly worried about the cost. The reason we were going with the NI product is that we were hoping to create a LabView VI to
integrate with some of our existing software.
-Mark

Cueball wrote:

> You're right; there's only one BNC input, that takes NTSC, PAL, or
> VGA input. The camera puts out NTSC and PAL. I assume the one cable
> should be acceptable for this...?
Then all you need is a plug adapter from Radio Shack, or get an RCA
male-female and solder a male BNC on the appropriate end and you're set. Or
in a pinch marry an old scope probe cable and an RCA cable.
> We're no too hoprribly worried about the cost. The reason we were
> going with the NI product is that we were hoping to create a LabView
> VI to integrate with some of our existing software. -Mark

LabView is pretty convenient. Good luck. It looks like you're just about
there.
---
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net

Dec 6, 2012

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:34:37 GMT, "Mike Russell" <REgeigyMOVE@pacbellTHIS.net> wrote:
>Cueball wrote:
>
>> Any ideas on the original cabling question?
>> -Mark
>
>You'll need not just a cable but a composite video synch splitter box to
>separate the synch and video. More than likely you have four BNC cables -
>synch and one each for RGB. If there is only one BNC input to the NI
>capture board, you may only need an RCA female to BNC male adapter from
>Radio Shack.

You're right; there's only one BNC input, that takes NTSC, PAL, or VGA input. The camera puts out NTSC and PAL. I assume the one cable
should be acceptable for this...?

>Consider abandoning the NI board if you have a choice in the matter, and get
>a consumer PCI video capture board probably for less than the splitter would
>cost

We're no too hoprribly worried about the cost. The reason we were going with the NI product is that we were hoping to create a LabView VI to
integrate with some of our existing software.
-Mark

_____

Hello,

You can simply take a Video/Audio- RCA to BNC cable readily available; and the COOLPIX AV connector which has camera connector on one end and RCA connector on the other.

Now simply remove the RCA connectors and join both the cables- Yellow(Video) to Yellow. .Red to red and white to White.. now the COOLPIX vid will get trnsmitted through BNC