Missing Wireless Link applet

My Windows xp Professional appears to be missing the Wireless Link applet
even though my Infrared device appears to be installed properly. I have
tried re-installing the device and this does not make the Wireless Link icon
reappear. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

Oops - I meant to put my last posting in here.

I was meant to put that I've installed sp2 but that didn't help.

"Chrissie" wrote:

> My Windows xp Professional appears to be missing the Wireless Link applet
> even though my Infrared device appears to be installed properly. I have
> tried re-installing the device and this does not make the Wireless Link icon
> reappear. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003

"Chrissie" wrote:

> Oops - I meant to put my last posting in here.
>
> I was meant to put that I've installed sp2 but that didn't help.
>

> "Chrissie" wrote:
>
> > My Windows xp Professional appears to be missing the Wireless Link applet
> > even though my Infrared device appears to be installed properly. I have
> > tried re-installing the device and this does not make the Wireless Link icon
> > reappear. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003

Chrissie:

I am having the same problem you described. The WiFi icon will remain
in the system tray for a few hours and then just disappear. This has only
begun happening since I installed SP2. I reinstalled the adapter without any
luck. The weird thing is that my WiFi adapter doesn't even show up in Device
Manager but other than that my wireless connection works fine whether it
shows up or not!

"Chrissie" wrote:

> Oops - I meant to put my last posting in here.
>
> I was meant to put that I've installed sp2 but that didn't help.
>

> "Chrissie" wrote:
>
> > My Windows xp Professional appears to be missing the Wireless Link applet
> > even though my Infrared device appears to be installed properly. I have
> > tried re-installing the device and this does not make the Wireless Link icon
> > reappear. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

Please check that your IR device appears in device manager.
If not - reboot, enter BIOS setup and enable it there.
If it was disabled, enabling it can trigger re-install of the driver.

--PA

"Chrissie" <Chrissie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62481437-9C94-41A7-924E-440C29A45EB4@microsoft.com...
> Oops - I meant to put my last posting in here.
>
> I was meant to put that I've installed sp2 but that didn't help.
>

> "Chrissie" wrote:
>
> > My Windows xp Professional appears to be missing the Wireless Link applet
> > even though my Infrared device appears to be installed properly. I have
> > tried re-installing the device and this does not make the Wireless Link icon
> > reappear. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

The IR Device is showing that it is working fine in the Device Manager and I
have updated the drivers to ensure that I am using the current version.

"Pavel A." wrote:

> Please check that your IR device appears in device manager.
> If not - reboot, enter BIOS setup and enable it there.
> If it was disabled, enabling it can trigger re-install of the driver.
>
> --PA
>
> "Chrissie" <Chrissie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62481437-9C94-41A7-924E-440C29A45EB4@microsoft.com...
> > Oops - I meant to put my last posting in here.
> >
> > I was meant to put that I've installed sp2 but that didn't help.
> >

> > "Chrissie" wrote:
> >
> > > My Windows xp Professional appears to be missing the Wireless Link applet
> > > even though my Infrared device appears to be installed properly. I have
> > > tried re-installing the device and this does not make the Wireless Link icon
> > > reappear. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

So where is the applet or icon missing - in the control panel?

--PA

"Chrissie" <Chrissie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B6FD0915-8D5F-4EA8-B1C3-D3B7C47C3F02@microsoft.com...
> The IR Device is showing that it is working fine in the Device Manager and I
> have updated the drivers to ensure that I am using the current version.
>

> "Pavel A." wrote:
>
> > Please check that your IR device appears in device manager.
> > If not - reboot, enter BIOS setup and enable it there.
> > If it was disabled, enabling it can trigger re-install of the driver.
> >
> > --PA
> >
> > "Chrissie" <Chrissie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62481437-9C94-41A7-924E-440C29A45EB4@microsoft.com...
> > > Oops - I meant to put my last posting in here.
> > >
> > > I was meant to put that I've installed sp2 but that didn't help.

It's missing in the control panel. I've found the irprops.cpl file and put
that in the Windows System32 folder but that hasn't helped. I've downloaded
the TweakUI Power Toy and can turn Wireless Link on and off like the other
control panel items but it doesn't do anything. The card is working fine
although without this applet I can't turn it on! Very annoying. Any help
you can give is appreciated.

Chrissie

"Pavel A." wrote:

> So where is the applet or icon missing - in the control panel?
>
> --PA
>
> "Chrissie" <Chrissie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B6FD0915-8D5F-4EA8-B1C3-D3B7C47C3F02@microsoft.com...
> > The IR Device is showing that it is working fine in the Device Manager and I
> > have updated the drivers to ensure that I am using the current version.
> >

> > "Pavel A." wrote:
> >
> > > Please check that your IR device appears in device manager.
> > > If not - reboot, enter BIOS setup and enable it there.
> > > If it was disabled, enabling it can trigger re-install of the driver.
> > >
> > > --PA

Hmm. very strange. Have you checked the event log ?
anything relevant there?

--PA