newbie question on preserving video quality

I'm using a Sony HC40 MiniDV recorder and want to preserve as much vid
quality as possible when capturing to my computer for editing. Can someone
clarify this issue for me? I'm using Windows Moviemaker 2, Roxio Videowave,
and I'm trying out uLead's Video Studio 8.

One other problem is that when a tape has material shot in 4x3 and 16x9, the
captured material seems to be one or the other if you capture the whole tape
at once. All the scenes are 4x3 if the tape starts with 4x3, 16x9 if the
tape starts out that way.

OK, quit laughing, I said I was a newbie.
9 answers Last reply
More about newbie question preserving video quality

    "comcast2" wrote ...
    > I'm using a Sony HC40 MiniDV recorder and want to preserve
    > as much vid quality as possible when capturing to my computer
    > for editing. Can someone clarify this issue for me?

    Why do you think you are losing any quality? "Capturing" DV
    from camcorder to computer is really just a matter of copying
    the data, bit-for-bit from the tape to a disk file. No quality is
    lost during capture.

    > I'm using Windows Moviemaker 2, Roxio Videowave,
    > and I'm trying out uLead's Video Studio 8.

    Doesn't matter what you are using. Unless you are converting
    to some more compressed format (MPEG for DVDs, etc.)

    > One other problem is that when a tape has material shot in
    > 4x3 and 16x9, the captured material seems to be one or the
    > other if you capture the whole tape at once. All the scenes
    > are 4x3 if the tape starts with 4x3, 16x9 if the tape starts out
    > that way.

    Probably depends in which software you are using for the
    DV capture. Likely NOT a generic question.

    In many ways, it isn't appropriate to say you are "capturing video" when you use
    mini-DV format. If you are using a firewire card, you are simply "transferring"
    video to your computer without any loss in quality. This can be transfered back
    to DV tape without loss in quality.

    Where you can lose quality is if you don't keep your edited video in mini-DV
    format every step of the editing process.You just want to make sure that the
    editing settings are for full size DV video. This is not the default with Movie
    Maker. So the point is to use the DV format encoding for every step of the
    editing process, right up to outputting back to tape.

    One quick way to check this is to have some captured DV footage. Edit this in
    your favorite editing program, just choosing simple cuts between some of the
    video. When you export or output this project to a video file, it should go
    pretty fast, just about as fast as it takes to copy the file from one location
    to another on your computer. If it takes any longer than this, your editing
    program is recompressing or changing the original video. Any time your editing
    program does this, except for section where you changed the original, you know
    you are risking tremendous degradation in quality.

    "comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm using a Sony HC40 MiniDV recorder and want to preserve as much vid
    > quality as possible when capturing to my computer for editing. Can someone
    > clarify this issue for me? I'm using Windows Moviemaker 2, Roxio Videowave,
    > and I'm trying out uLead's Video Studio 8.
    >
    > One other problem is that when a tape has material shot in 4x3 and 16x9, the
    > captured material seems to be one or the other if you capture the whole tape
    > at once. All the scenes are 4x3 if the tape starts with 4x3, 16x9 if the
    > tape starts out that way.
    >
    > OK, quit laughing, I said I was a newbie.

    "comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm using a Sony HC40 MiniDV recorder and want to preserve as much vid
    > quality as possible when capturing to my computer for editing. Can
    someone
    > clarify this issue for me? I'm using Windows Moviemaker 2, Roxio
    Videowave,
    > and I'm trying out uLead's Video Studio 8.
    >
    > One other problem is that when a tape has material shot in 4x3 and 16x9,
    the
    > captured material seems to be one or the other if you capture the whole
    tape
    > at once. All the scenes are 4x3 if the tape starts with 4x3, 16x9 if the
    > tape starts out that way.
    >
    > OK, quit laughing, I said I was a newbie.

    If you are capturing/transferring/copying from your Sony camera to your PC
    you need to be using FireWire, i.Link or IEEE 1394 (All the same). Sony has
    a tendency to lead people to capture/transfer/copy with USB which will give
    you poor quality. You most likely did not get a FireWire cable when you
    bought your camera and it is an expense option if you buy it from Sony as
    mentioned in the manual. Your PC also needs a FireWire port. Once you have
    the .AVI video file on your system the quality can be reduced on how you
    process the file.

    Rich

    hu rich--thanks.

    i have FireWire on my PC and bought the cable, so I'm transferring via that
    firewire connection.

    In Videowave I have the choice of (a) DV or (b) MPEG-2.

    In Windows Moviemaker I have the following choices:
    (a) "Best Quality" (windows media video, Variable bit rate, 720x480 pixels,
    30 fps)
    (b) "Digital Device Video (DV-AVI)," which says it's audio/video
    interleaved, AVI, 25.0 Mbps Bit Rate, 30 fps, NTSC
    (c) "OTHER SETTINGS" which include:
    (c1) DV-AVI (NTSC)
    (c2) High Quality Video (NTSC)
    (c3) Video for local playback (2.1 Mbps NTSC)
    (c4) Video for local playback (1.5 Mbps NTSC)

    Since I have Videowave I'm leaning toward that instead of moviemaker, and in
    that one I guess I "capture" from the camera in DV mode, yes? That makes an
    AVI file on my HD.

    "Rich" <richsanchez43@usa.com> wrote in message

    > "comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I'm using a Sony HC40 MiniDV recorder and want to preserve as much vid
    > > quality as possible when capturing to my computer for editing. Can
    > someone
    > > clarify this issue for me? I'm using Windows Moviemaker 2, Roxio
    > Videowave,
    > > and I'm trying out uLead's Video Studio 8.
    > >
    > > One other problem is that when a tape has material shot in 4x3 and 16x9,
    > the
    > > captured material seems to be one or the other if you capture the whole
    > tape
    > > at once. All the scenes are 4x3 if the tape starts with 4x3, 16x9 if
    the
    > > tape starts out that way.
    > >
    > > OK, quit laughing, I said I was a newbie.
    > >

    > If you are capturing/transferring/copying from your Sony camera to your PC
    > you need to be using FireWire, i.Link or IEEE 1394 (All the same). Sony
    has
    > a tendency to lead people to capture/transfer/copy with USB which will
    give
    > you poor quality. You most likely did not get a FireWire cable when you
    > bought your camera and it is an expense option if you buy it from Sony as
    > mentioned in the manual. Your PC also needs a FireWire port. Once you
    have
    > the .AVI video file on your system the quality can be reduced on how you
    > process the file.
    >
    > Rich

    Thanks, Richard.

    Here's another question--

    When I write an edited "movie" out to DVD will there be a quality loss
    there? Or is this a system which, because it is digital, does not lose
    fidelity unless intentionally introduced by an elected compression?

    thanks--

    > "comcast2" wrote ...
    > > I'm using a Sony HC40 MiniDV recorder and want to preserve
    > > as much vid quality as possible when capturing to my computer
    > > for editing. Can someone clarify this issue for me?
    >
    > Why do you think you are losing any quality? "Capturing" DV
    > from camcorder to computer is really just a matter of copying
    > the data, bit-for-bit from the tape to a disk file. No quality is
    > lost during capture.
    >
    > > I'm using Windows Moviemaker 2, Roxio Videowave,
    > > and I'm trying out uLead's Video Studio 8.
    >
    > Doesn't matter what you are using. Unless you are converting
    > to some more compressed format (MPEG for DVDs, etc.)
    >
    > > One other problem is that when a tape has material shot in
    > > 4x3 and 16x9, the captured material seems to be one or the
    > > other if you capture the whole tape at once. All the scenes
    > > are 4x3 if the tape starts with 4x3, 16x9 if the tape starts out
    > > that way.
    >
    > Probably depends in which software you are using for the
    > DV capture. Likely NOT a generic question.

    elmo wrote ...
    > When I write an edited "movie" out to DVD will there be
    > a quality loss there? Or is this a system which, because it
    > is digital, does not lose fidelity unless intentionally
    > introduced by an elected compression?

    You intentionally elect compression when you
    choose to write the video to DVD.

    DV = 13GB/hour
    DVD = 2.3GB/hour (max)

    Yes, you want to capture in the DV mode which will be an .AVI file. A large
    file, about 13 GB for 60 minutes.

    I was curious about Videowave, will download the demo some day, but 436 MB
    on dial-up will take a while.

    Rich

    > hu rich--thanks.
    >
    > i have FireWire on my PC and bought the cable, so I'm transferring via
    that
    > firewire connection.
    >
    > In Videowave I have the choice of (a) DV or (b) MPEG-2.
    >
    > In Windows Moviemaker I have the following choices:
    > (a) "Best Quality" (windows media video, Variable bit rate, 720x480
    pixels,
    > 30 fps)
    > (b) "Digital Device Video (DV-AVI)," which says it's audio/video
    > interleaved, AVI, 25.0 Mbps Bit Rate, 30 fps, NTSC
    > (c) "OTHER SETTINGS" which include:
    > (c1) DV-AVI (NTSC)
    > (c2) High Quality Video (NTSC)
    > (c3) Video for local playback (2.1 Mbps NTSC)
    > (c4) Video for local playback (1.5 Mbps NTSC)
    >
    > Since I have Videowave I'm leaning toward that instead of moviemaker, and
    in
    > that one I guess I "capture" from the camera in DV mode, yes? That makes
    an
    > AVI file on my HD.
    >

    > "Rich" <richsanchez43@usa.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "comcast2" <elmo@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > I'm using a Sony HC40 MiniDV recorder and want to preserve as much vid
    > > > quality as possible when capturing to my computer for editing. Can
    > > someone
    > > > clarify this issue for me? I'm using Windows Moviemaker 2, Roxio
    > > Videowave,
    > > > and I'm trying out uLead's Video Studio 8.
    > > >
    > > > One other problem is that when a tape has material shot in 4x3 and
    16x9,
    > > the
    > > > captured material seems to be one or the other if you capture the
    whole
    > > tape
    > > > at once. All the scenes are 4x3 if the tape starts with 4x3, 16x9 if
    > the
    > > > tape starts out that way.
    > > >
    > > > OK, quit laughing, I said I was a newbie.
    > > >

    > > If you are capturing/transferring/copying from your Sony camera to your
    PC
    > > you need to be using FireWire, i.Link or IEEE 1394 (All the same). Sony
    > has
    > > a tendency to lead people to capture/transfer/copy with USB which will
    > give
    > > you poor quality. You most likely did not get a FireWire cable when you
    > > bought your camera and it is an expense option if you buy it from Sony
    as
    > > mentioned in the manual. Your PC also needs a FireWire port. Once you
    > have
    > > the .AVI video file on your system the quality can be reduced on how you
    > > process the file.
    > >
    > > Rich

    i take your point, but i don't get it. does this mean ALL DVDs (even
    commercial ones) are at this reduced quality (compression)?

    > elmo wrote ...
    > > When I write an edited "movie" out to DVD will there be
    > > a quality loss there? Or is this a system which, because it
    > > is digital, does not lose fidelity unless intentionally
    > > introduced by an elected compression?

    > You intentionally elect compression when you
    > choose to write the video to DVD.
    >
    > DV = 13GB/hour
    > DVD = 2.3GB/hour (max)

    "comcast2" wrote ...
    > i take your point, but i don't get it. does this mean ALL DVDs (even
    > commercial ones) are at this reduced quality (compression)?

    Yes. Absolutely.

Tuner Cards Desktops Video Graphics