IEEE 1394 card problem

I'm trying to install a standard IEEE 1394 card (400 mbps) onto my computer
(its a Dell 2400). Windows Xp (sp2 now, although I tried this before I
installed sp1 and 2) sees the card when I restart, but then initializes the
new hardware wizard, and asks to search for a driver. The ms site states that
XP installs IEEE 1394 cards automatically, but apparently that is not the
case with this card (made by PPA, Inc.), as it wants a driver. When a driver
can't be found, the device manager yellow splats the device, and it doesnt
work. Any suggestions on how I can either obtain the XP driver or get it
working? I'm really frustrated, especially since I just invested a bunch of
money into firewire peripherals that wont work without the interface card.
4 answers Last reply
More about ieee 1394 card problem

    DT,
    I feel your pain. Been working with firewire for some time now. The
    truth of the matter is not all pci card chipsets are created equal. The
    card I use is a combo USB/Firewire card. It uses VIA chipsets. Although
    this card works on XP SP1, it pukes on XP SP2, making my digital camera
    (Panasonic) and external hard drive (Maxtor) useless! It won't enumerate
    the camera and gives the delayed write failure on the ext. hard drive.
    The new card I have waiting in the wings has NEC & TI chipsets, which
    is the defacto combination for compatability. I'm not looking forward
    to upgrading to XP SP2, due to the problem that the new drivers for
    firewire don't support older firewire standards. (That & the fact that
    this combo card drives a 9in1 media reader, swapping out the card would
    change all my drive assignments after the update, and would drive me
    nuts!)
    I'll wait until I have to format & re-install XP before I do this!
    Your PPA, Inc. card is one I've never heard of before.
    A couple of things you can try; Go to Dell and see if they have updated
    motherboard chipset drivers for your 2400, if not, try another firewire
    card.
    Here's a firewire link for you;
    'FireWireDirect' (http://tinyurl.com/65hay) (Texas Instruments
    chipset)
    Remember, even if device manager gives you the o.k. for your firewire
    device in device manager, your peripherals still may not work. The fix
    for this is to roll back to SP1 drivers. PM me, and I'll tell you how
    that's done.
    Good luck with your problems.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    I ended up throwing that IEEE 1394 card in the garbage and getting a new one
    from a different manufacturer, which works fine. I got tired of dicking with
    it. Sometimes your time is worth more than your money.

    DT

    "DT" wrote:

    > I'm trying to install a standard IEEE 1394 card (400 mbps) onto my computer
    > (its a Dell 2400). Windows Xp (sp2 now, although I tried this before I
    > installed sp1 and 2) sees the card when I restart, but then initializes the
    > new hardware wizard, and asks to search for a driver. The ms site states that
    > XP installs IEEE 1394 cards automatically, but apparently that is not the
    > case with this card (made by PPA, Inc.), as it wants a driver. When a driver
    > can't be found, the device manager yellow splats the device, and it doesnt
    > work. Any suggestions on how I can either obtain the XP driver or get it
    > working? I'm really frustrated, especially since I just invested a bunch of
    > money into firewire peripherals that wont work without the interface card.

    Hi Treeman, I have the same problem, could you tell me how Can I
    rollback to the SP1 Drivers??? I think (actually I sure) that this
    resolve my problem, because I can import video after upgrade to SP2

    Thanks a lot and Regards

    Cesar

    MSI K7NS2 Delta Motherboard with nVidia chipset, Athlon XP 2800, 500 Mb
    in RAM, 160 Gb SATA and 80 Gb ATA, MSI Video Card with 128 RAM, Pioneer
    DVD Burner

    --
    cesarguillen
    cesarguillen's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2279

    DT,
    You can try this;
    Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
    the
    following files
    1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
    enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
    Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
    "Firewirefix," (without quotes)

    Stop XP Sp2 from re-installing it's drivers again by:
    Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)

    Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
    mode.

    Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
    to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
    Reboot.
    Your mileage may vary. This works for some, but not all.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman