IEEE 1394 card problem

June 11, 2005 4:05:01 AM

I'm trying to install a standard IEEE 1394 card (400 mbps) onto my computer
(its a Dell 2400). Windows Xp (sp2 now, although I tried this before I
installed sp1 and 2) sees the card when I restart, but then initializes the
new hardware wizard, and asks to search for a driver. The ms site states that
XP installs IEEE 1394 cards automatically, but apparently that is not the
case with this card (made by PPA, Inc.), as it wants a driver. When a driver
can't be found, the device manager yellow splats the device, and it doesnt
work. Any suggestions on how I can either obtain the XP driver or get it
working? I'm really frustrated, especially since I just invested a bunch of
money into firewire peripherals that wont work without the interface card.

More about : ieee 1394 card problem

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:31:36 PM

DT,
I feel your pain. Been working with firewire for some time now. The
truth of the matter is not all pci card chipsets are created equal. The
card I use is a combo USB/Firewire card. It uses VIA chipsets. Although
this card works on XP SP1, it pukes on XP SP2, making my digital camera
(Panasonic) and external hard drive (Maxtor) useless! It won't enumerate
the camera and gives the delayed write failure on the ext. hard drive.
The new card I have waiting in the wings has NEC & TI chipsets, which
is the defacto combination for compatability. I'm not looking forward
to upgrading to XP SP2, due to the problem that the new drivers for
firewire don't support older firewire standards. (That & the fact that
this combo card drives a 9in1 media reader, swapping out the card would
change all my drive assignments after the update, and would drive me
nuts!)
I'll wait until I have to format & re-install XP before I do this!
Your PPA, Inc. card is one I've never heard of before.
A couple of things you can try; Go to Dell and see if they have updated
motherboard chipset drivers for your 2400, if not, try another firewire
card.
Here's a firewire link for you;
'FireWireDirect' (http://tinyurl.com/65hay) (Texas Instruments
chipset)
Remember, even if device manager gives you the o.k. for your firewire
device in device manager, your peripherals still may not work. The fix
for this is to roll back to SP1 drivers. PM me, and I'll tell you how
that's done.
Good luck with your problems.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

June 15, 2005 4:32:11 PM

I ended up throwing that IEEE 1394 card in the garbage and getting a new one
from a different manufacturer, which works fine. I got tired of dicking with
it. Sometimes your time is worth more than your money.

DT

"DT" wrote:

> I'm trying to install a standard IEEE 1394 card (400 mbps) onto my computer
> (its a Dell 2400). Windows Xp (sp2 now, although I tried this before I
> installed sp1 and 2) sees the card when I restart, but then initializes the
> new hardware wizard, and asks to search for a driver. The ms site states that
> XP installs IEEE 1394 cards automatically, but apparently that is not the
> case with this card (made by PPA, Inc.), as it wants a driver. When a driver
> can't be found, the device manager yellow splats the device, and it doesnt
> work. Any suggestions on how I can either obtain the XP driver or get it
> working? I'm really frustrated, especially since I just invested a bunch of
> money into firewire peripherals that wont work without the interface card.
June 15, 2005 4:53:02 PM

Hi Treeman, I have the same problem, could you tell me how Can I
rollback to the SP1 Drivers??? I think (actually I sure) that this
resolve my problem, because I can import video after upgrade to SP2

Thanks a lot and Regards

Cesar

MSI K7NS2 Delta Motherboard with nVidia chipset, Athlon XP 2800, 500 Mb
in RAM, 160 Gb SATA and 80 Gb ATA, MSI Video Card with 128 RAM, Pioneer
DVD Burner

--
cesarguillen
cesarguillen's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2279

DT,
You can try this;
Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
the
following files
1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
"Firewirefix," (without quotes)

Stop XP Sp2 from re-installing it's drivers again by:
Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)

Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
mode.

Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
Reboot.
Your mileage may vary. This works for some, but not all.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman