Wireless add on

I am currently running a network with Server_1 running Win2003, 2 3com
routers, 1 linksys router, and 1 netgear router. I would like to integrate
wireless into this for 1 computer that is in another building 640 feet
away. I have line of sight from the roof of the main buiding to the annex.
Can anyone give me some tips as to what equipment would work best for this
application?

TIA
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless

    In theory all one requires is a Wireless Access Point, such as a Linksys
    WAP54G.

    The problem for your site is that you may find that it is beyond the range
    for most wireless devices. Linksys do not specify range with their product,
    most don't.

    Some people complain of weak or non-existent signals when they are <50 feet
    away from the Access Point.

    The result, you need to test for yourself: try and get a unit on approval
    before purchasing.

    "Stephen Hartman" wrote:

    > I am currently running a network with Server_1 running Win2003, 2 3com
    > routers, 1 linksys router, and 1 netgear router. I would like to integrate
    > wireless into this for 1 computer that is in another building 640 feet
    > away. I have line of sight from the roof of the main buiding to the annex.
    > Can anyone give me some tips as to what equipment would work best for this
    > application?
    >
    > TIA

    Hi.

    You need two Access Points to be set in Bridge Mode and Bridge the two
    segments of the Network.

    640' with direct line of sight, and Good Directional Antennae might even run
    with Entry Level Wireless Hardware.

    However you are much better of with Middle Level Wireless Hardware like the
    Proxim/Orinoco line.

    Since you indicated that you need to use a roof you might have problem.
    2.4GHz coax causes sever loses with increase in length, so it is not
    advisable to use a coax more then 10'-15'. The solution is usually to put
    the Access Points and the Antennae together on the roof and run a Cat5e from
    the Access Point to the Network.

    Putting the Access Point on the roof needs special arrangement concerning
    weather proofing, and lightning arrestors.

    General Info about Wireless: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > In theory all one requires is a Wireless Access Point, such as a Linksys
    > WAP54G.
    >
    > The problem for your site is that you may find that it is beyond the range
    > for most wireless devices. Linksys do not specify range with their
    product,
    > most don't.
    >
    > Some people complain of weak or non-existent signals when they are <50
    feet
    > away from the Access Point.
    >
    > The result, you need to test for yourself: try and get a unit on approval
    > before purchasing.
    >
    > "Stephen Hartman" wrote:
    >
    > > I am currently running a network with Server_1 running Win2003, 2 3com
    > > routers, 1 linksys router, and 1 netgear router. I would like to
    integrate
    > > wireless into this for 1 computer that is in another building 640 feet
    > > away. I have line of sight from the roof of the main buiding to the
    annex.
    > > Can anyone give me some tips as to what equipment would work best for
    this
    > > application?
    > >
    > > TIA

Wireless Routers Wireless Networking