film/video scoring software

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

What is the best in low, mid, and high budget film/video scoring
software?
12 answers Last reply
More about film video scoring software
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    On the PC there is Sonar, Nuendo, Cubase, ProTools.

    On the mac there is ProTools, Digital Performer and Nuendo and Logic.

    "hosko" <goofy@daffy.net> wrote in message
    > What is the best in low, mid, and high budget film/video scoring
    > software?
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    www.smartsound.com

    Randy

    "hosko" <goofy@daffy.net> wrote in message
    > What is the best in low, mid, and high budget film/video scoring
    > software?
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Bill Van Dyk" <trash@christian-horizons.org> wrote in message
    > The trouble with most factory-made music tracks is that they are almost
    > always bland, colourless, and dull. Worse than "elevator music", if
    > imaginable. You may think most people don't care-- maybe they don't,
    > but I do. I notice immediately if the music on the video I'm watching
    > has that bland, generic flavour to it.
    >
    > If you can't spend very much and you want to avoid copyright issues, you
    > may have no choice. But I've already made up my mind that if I needed
    > music for a production of any importance, I would hire a local band (I
    > happen to be acquainted with many musicians) and have them create an
    > original music track. It wouldn't be that hard, given today's
    > technology, to work this out. And I would think that most jazz
    > musicians, especially, would be able to improvise something fairly
    > quickly. You don't need their best chops-- just something with a bit of
    > character to it. It would also allow them to attune the music to the
    > video content.
    >
    > But this idea may be too far out, or too difficult to implement, for
    > most people.

    Pay a visit to your local college music department. Amazing talent and a
    great desire to see their work "out there" in any way possible. Pay fairly,
    but if your budget allows for a six-pack and pizza, you can probably get it
    for that.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Bill Van Dyk" <trash@christian-horizons.org> wrote in message
    And I would think that most jazz musicians, especially, would be able to
    improvise something fairly quickly. You don't need their best chops-- just
    something with a bit of character to it.

    That's exactly what the people who make those bland libraries are thinking.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Big difference though, is that a local, self-respecting jazz musician
    will still give you better stuff than those libraries. And, as I
    mentioned, the music can be customized to suit the content.

    Just out of curiousity, has anybody tried this? I am pretty sure I
    could pesonally hire a drummer, pianist, and bass for a few hundred
    bucks. Give them the video and half a day and I'm quite sure they could
    come up with a reasonably good sound track, quick and dirty, to
    minidisc, or whatever you want. Convert to a wave as a separate audio
    track, and mix in...

    The musicians can always use the work. They can retain the right to use
    the music elsewhere (not likely you'll see it in a competing product)
    without taking any value away from your production. And everything's
    legal and good.

    I would also note that they could conceivably use old classical or other
    types of music that has become public domain.

    And then, when somebody steals the music off your video, you can sue them!

    nappy wrote:

    >"Bill Van Dyk" <trash@christian-horizons.org> wrote in message
    >And I would think that most jazz musicians, especially, would be able to
    >improvise something fairly quickly. You don't need their best chops-- just
    >something with a bit of character to it.
    >

    >That's exactly what the people who make those bland libraries are thinking.

  6. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    > Big difference though, is that a local, self-respecting jazz musician
    > will still give you better stuff than those libraries. ...
    > Just out of curiousity, has anybody tried this? I am pretty sure I
    > could pesonally hire a drummer, pianist, and bass for a few hundred
    > bucks. Give them the video and half a day and I'm quite sure they could
    > come up with a reasonably good sound track...

    I mixed a film based on poetry of Jack Kerouac, read by Johnny Depp and
    others, that had a score like that. It was free-form jazz - perfectly
    appropriate for the subject.

    But that's a specific structure (or lack thereof). In most cases,
    performing jazz musicians riff on the changes, and sometimes melody, of
    established songs. So you've got a copyright issue. They can do this live
    because the venue pays a performance license. But if you're going to put
    video to it, you need sync and repro licenses... even if you or they are
    doing the recording.

    And there's the issue of production. Just because someone can play, it
    doesn't necessarily follow that they know how to record. And even if they
    know how to record, they might not know how to shape a piece of music so
    it supports the arc of a video.

    In point of fact, some library music is very good, particularly if you go
    to the better and larger needle-drop houses. If you then edit it to match
    the video, it can be perfectly appropriate.

    What I sometimes do is build the basic underscore with library music,
    trimmed and tweaked to sound like something original. Then I bring in a
    composer/keyboard player/arranger to do the more important cues, backing
    into the things I've already cut.

    --
    Correct address is spell out the letter j, AT dplaydahtcom
    Clio- and Emmy-winning sound design
    Learn audio for video at www.dplay.com
  7. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    > Big difference though, is that a local, self-respecting jazz musician
    > will still give you better stuff than those libraries. And, as I
    > mentioned, the music can be customized to suit the content.
    >
    > Just out of curiousity, has anybody tried this? I am pretty sure I
    > could pesonally hire a drummer, pianist, and bass for a few hundred
    > bucks. Give them the video and half a day and I'm quite sure they could
    > come up with a reasonably good sound track, quick and dirty, to
    > minidisc, or whatever you want. Convert to a wave as a separate audio
    > track, and mix in...
    >
    > The musicians can always use the work. They can retain the right to use
    > the music elsewhere (not likely you'll see it in a competing product)
    > without taking any value away from your production. And everything's
    > legal and good.

    I've done it a few times. Most I ever paid was $200, least I paid was a
    couple beers. VERY satisfied every time.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    > I would also note that they could conceivably use old classical or other
    > types of music that has become public domain.

    How can you tell if your source is public domain? I have a large series of
    CDs that were printed in W. Germany in the 1980s by PMG, the Pilz Media
    Group. There are also addresses on the labels for the Pilz Compact Disc Ltd
    at some California addresses.they were sold as sets very cheaply. I can
    find no information about these companies so I'm assuming they are no longer
    in business. Would that mean that their CDs could be used without copyright
    problems?

    Jeanne
  9. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    > I would also note that they could conceivably use old classical or other
    > types of music that has become public domain.

    I'm wondering if recordings made in Soviet Russia would no longer be under
    copyright since that entity no longer exists?

    Jeanne
  10. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Bill Van Dyk" wrote ...

    The trouble with most factory-made music tracks is
    > that they are almost always bland, colourless, and dull.

    Well, DUH!!!

    I didn't say this was the best music money could buy. The poster asked if
    there was any software that would do scoring for his video. I offered one
    option (which, interestingly, hadn't been offered earlier in the thread).
    That's all.

    Obviously, if one can afford a few hundred bucks to pay musicians to come in
    and record a custom sound track every time, they probably should. Only
    problem is, if you don't like it, you're stuck having to pay the musicians.
    At least with software (and the libraries) like Smart Sound offers, if you
    don't like it, you can try another track from the library.

    I've done it all. Had musicians come in. Built loops. Even played some
    stuff myself. Not everyone has all those options at their disposal, and a
    software solution may be the most cost-effective and perfectly adequate for
    their needs. We're not talking about Academy Award-winning stuff here.
    We're talking about good, functional stuff for many people's needs.

    And Smart Sound is one way to go. There are certainly worse ways to go, and
    judging from some of the custom music I've heard done, hiring live musicians
    is sometimes just such an inferior way. There's no guarantee you'll get
    what you want.

    Such is life.

    Randy
  11. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    > Pay a visit to your local college music department. Amazing talent and a
    > great desire to see their work "out there" in any way possible. Pay fairly,
    > but if your budget allows for a six-pack and pizza, you can probably get it
    > for that.

    But be aware you might not be able to use the college's instruments,
    recording space, or equipment. Many schools get equipment and software
    very cheaply or free as donations from the mfrs (and to seed future
    users), with the provision that it can't be used on commercial projects.

    Learn audio for video at www.dplay.com
  12. Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Bill Van Dyk <trash@christian-horizons.org> wrote:

    [snip]
    >If you can't afford to do that, I personally would prefer to use silence
    >over the kind of processed cheese you get from canned music. I
    [snip]

    Many (all?) documentaries on Sky Channel use an eerie sounding clip from "Basic
    Instinct".
    It's also funny hearing a few clips from "1496" (1996 version) in many ads,
    documentaries etc.
    Another favourite used in many, many comedy movie ads as background music is
    "What's this" -song from "A Nightmare before Christmas" instrumental version.
    Now LOTR themes are popping up as backround on DVD menu music.
    All great themes btw.

Tuner Cards Desktops Video Software Graphics