firewire card problem?

June 11, 2005 7:39:01 PM

Hi, I have a Packard Bell over 2 yers old. As I am experiencing serious
problems when capturing video from my new Sony digital camera, I wonder if
the original firewire card is not clashing somewhow with more recent
software, eg Service Pack 2? Many thanks for help.

More about : firewire card problem

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 1:54:18 AM

Can you explain "serious problems" please.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"George UK" <GeorgeUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have a Packard Bell over 2 yers old. As I am experiencing serious
> problems when capturing video from my new Sony digital camera, I wonder if
> the original firewire card is not clashing somewhow with more recent
> software, eg Service Pack 2? Many thanks for help.

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 6:19:03 PM

Frequently dropped frames, a horrible sound quality. Capturing in lower
quality settings delivers better results, but I need DV-AVI to store edited
material back on the tape. Yesterday, I uninstalled SP2 and downloaded MM2
only, but it made no change. So I returned to SP2.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Can you explain "serious problems" please.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "George UK" <GeorgeUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I have a Packard Bell over 2 yers old. As I am experiencing serious
> > problems when capturing video from my new Sony digital camera, I wonder if
> > the original firewire card is not clashing somewhow with more recent
> > software, eg Service Pack 2? Many thanks for help.

June 13, 2005 2:09:33 PM

George,
I would really need to know the capabilties of your computer before I
could make an assumption. If you have shared video, (onboard) your
going to have problems with video rendering. More information about the
"guts," of your computer would help.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

June 13, 2005 3:00:16 PM

Apparently neither off us are psychic enough today!
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Treeman" <Treeman.1qkn8q@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> George,
> I would really need to know the capabilties of your computer before I
> could make an assumption. If you have shared video, (onboard) your
> going to have problems with video rendering. More information about the
> "guts," of your computer would help.
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

June 13, 2005 4:01:04 PM

Hi, I have a Packard Bell, Pentium(R) 4CPU, 2.53GHz, 512MB of RAM. 60GB of
free space on HD. Windows XP, Service Pack 2 installed. I am using Enditall
to close everything unnecessary when capturing from my Sony DCR-HC32. The
problem is the same with all editing programmes, not just Movie Maker. The
firewire I am using is Belkin Pro Series. The camera and the firewire work
first class when connected to another PC (I tried my friend's Dell, with
Windows XP as well - just plug in and enjoy, which is my dream!).
Thank you for your time.
George

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Apparently neither off us are psychic enough today!
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Treeman" <Treeman.1qkn8q@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > George,
> > I would really need to know the capabilties of your computer before I
> > could make an assumption. If you have shared video, (onboard) your
> > going to have problems with video rendering. More information about the
> > "guts," of your computer would help.
> > Best,
> > Treeman
> >

> > --
> > Treeman

> > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260
> > View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870529501

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:26:56 AM

George,
Buy your friends Dell :rolleyes:
1st., 60 gb of free hard drive space will give you a very short movie.
(Jump in here Cari, how many minutes of movie equals 1gb of disk
space?)
You still didn't tell us about your video device/ onboard or agp, how
much ram? Also, Belkin is a good brand for a firewire card, the digital
drivers for SP2 may not like it or your camera. Check Mr. Hughes
web-site here;
'My Camcorder has stopped working since installing SP2'
(http://www.myvideoproblems.com/ProblemPages/CamNotWorki...)

Good Luck,
Treeman

--
Treeman

June 14, 2005 1:24:21 AM

DV-AVI about 12gb per hour. Strangely enough not much bigger than 1 hour of
HDTV in "good" mode on an MCE PC. Exactly how much drive space would be
needed for "best" I haven't found out yet... something horrendous I would
think!

Last Sunday's F1 GP from Montreal screened by our local CBS affiliate in
upconverted HD was well over 17gb for it's 100 minutes.

Now, if only someone would make terrabyte PATA hard drives... preferably NOT
Deathstar brand.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Treeman" <Treeman.1qlf0o@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> George,
> Buy your friends Dell :rolleyes:
> 1st., 60 gb of free hard drive space will give you a very short movie.
> (Jump in here Cari, how many minutes of movie equals 1gb of disk
> space?)
> You still didn't tell us about your video device/ onboard or agp, how
> much ram? Also, Belkin is a good brand for a firewire card, the digital
> drivers for SP2 may not like it or your camera. Check Mr. Hughes
> web-site here;
> 'My Camcorder has stopped working since installing SP2'
> (http://www.myvideoproblems.com/ProblemPages/CamNotWorki...)
>
> Good Luck,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

June 14, 2005 6:35:05 PM

Mr Hughes here :)

Maybe have a look through the optimise my pc for video editing as well, as I
have just added it to the list of pages.
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Tutorials/OptimiseMyPcFo...
or even the cannot capture one
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/ProblemPages/CannotCaptu...

Have you been able to get the pc to capture previously with another
camcorder?
Have you just added the firewire card?

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

> DV-AVI about 12gb per hour. Strangely enough not much bigger than 1 hour
> of HDTV in "good" mode on an MCE PC. Exactly how much drive space would
> be needed for "best" I haven't found out yet... something horrendous I
> would think!
>
> Last Sunday's F1 GP from Montreal screened by our local CBS affiliate in
> upconverted HD was well over 17gb for it's 100 minutes.
>
> Now, if only someone would make terrabyte PATA hard drives... preferably
> NOT Deathstar brand.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Treeman" <Treeman.1qlf0o@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
>>
>> George,
>> Buy your friends Dell :rolleyes:
>> 1st., 60 gb of free hard drive space will give you a very short movie.
>> (Jump in here Cari, how many minutes of movie equals 1gb of disk
>> space?)
>> You still didn't tell us about your video device/ onboard or agp, how
>> much ram? Also, Belkin is a good brand for a firewire card, the digital
>> drivers for SP2 may not like it or your camera. Check Mr. Hughes
>> web-site here;
>> 'My Camcorder has stopped working since installing SP2'
>> (http://www.myvideoproblems.com/ProblemPages/CamNotWorki...)
>>
>> Good Luck,
>> Treeman
>>

>> --
>> Treeman

>> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260
>> View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870529501

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:30:09 PM

Hi, I am now waiting for a new firewire card, so fingers cross it might help.
I will let you know once I try it. A big thank you for your help so far.
George

!