Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

sony handycam USB capture?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 15, 2004 1:39:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hello. I know someone who's has recently bought a Sony Handycam Digital 8
DCR-TRV255E/TRV26SE.

The problem he has is that when he connects the camera to the computer using
the USB2 lead and socket the computer doesn't recognize the new hardware.
There is no acknowledgment of anything being added. The camera came with a
USB lead to connect it to the computer from its 'dv' socket and I think that
with modern Sony cameras you can transfer video using USB2 and don't need to
use firewire.
I tried connecting it to my computer whilst using Premiere to see if I could
capture video and nothing happened. I've since learnt, though I'm not
completely sure whether its true, that Premiere 7 will only import using
firewire and not USB. Is this true?
There is nothing in the manual about transferring video to computer.
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience either with this particular Sony
Handycam model, or any similar new Sony, how they have managed to capture
video using USB. How do you get the computer to recognise that a video
camera has been connect to it?
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 3:40:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Is the camera switched on??


"Jim" <worldzone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:40ceb5be$0$4582$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...
> Hello. I know someone who's has recently bought a Sony Handycam Digital 8
> DCR-TRV255E/TRV26SE.
>
> The problem he has is that when he connects the camera to the computer
using
> the USB2 lead and socket the computer doesn't recognize the new hardware.
> There is no acknowledgment of anything being added. The camera came with a
> USB lead to connect it to the computer from its 'dv' socket and I think
that
> with modern Sony cameras you can transfer video using USB2 and don't need
to
> use firewire.
> I tried connecting it to my computer whilst using Premiere to see if I
could
> capture video and nothing happened. I've since learnt, though I'm not
> completely sure whether its true, that Premiere 7 will only import using
> firewire and not USB. Is this true?
> There is nothing in the manual about transferring video to computer.
> I'm wondering if anyone has any experience either with this particular
Sony
> Handycam model, or any similar new Sony, how they have managed to capture
> video using USB. How do you get the computer to recognise that a video
> camera has been connect to it?
>
>
June 15, 2004 8:00:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Jim wrote:
> Hello. I know someone who's has recently bought a Sony Handycam Digital 8
> DCR-TRV255E/TRV26SE.
>
> The problem he has is that when he connects the camera to the computer using
> the USB2 lead and socket the computer doesn't recognize the new hardware.
> There is no acknowledgment of anything being added. The camera came with a
> USB lead to connect it to the computer from its 'dv' socket and I think that
> with modern Sony cameras you can transfer video using USB2 and don't need to
> use firewire.
> I tried connecting it to my computer whilst using Premiere to see if I could
> capture video and nothing happened. I've since learnt, though I'm not
> completely sure whether its true, that Premiere 7 will only import using
> firewire and not USB. Is this true?
> There is nothing in the manual about transferring video to computer.
> I'm wondering if anyone has any experience either with this particular Sony
> Handycam model, or any similar new Sony, how they have managed to capture
> video using USB. How do you get the computer to recognise that a video
> camera has been connect to it?
>
>
Premiere will not capture from USB at all. JUst use firewire.
deXter
Related resources
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 2:02:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:39:27 +0100, "Jim" <worldzone@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hello. I know someone who's has recently bought a Sony Handycam Digital 8
>DCR-TRV255E/TRV26SE.
>
>The problem he has is that when he connects the camera to the computer using
>the USB2 lead and socket the computer doesn't recognize the new hardware.
>There is no acknowledgment of anything being added. The camera came with a
>USB lead to connect it to the computer from its 'dv' socket and I think that
>with modern Sony cameras you can transfer video using USB2 and don't need to
>use firewire.
>I tried connecting it to my computer whilst using Premiere to see if I could
>capture video and nothing happened. I've since learnt, though I'm not
>completely sure whether its true, that Premiere 7 will only import using
>firewire and not USB. Is this true?
>There is nothing in the manual about transferring video to computer.
>I'm wondering if anyone has any experience either with this particular Sony
>Handycam model, or any similar new Sony, how they have managed to capture
>video using USB. How do you get the computer to recognise that a video
>camera has been connect to it?

First of all, you can only transfer DV via firewire -- Premiere
isn't the only application which will have limitations with it. Via
USB, you can *NOT* transfer DV data rate; instead, AFAIK it is
recompressed using the cameras mpeg1 processor, yielding low res, low
quality video. If you want to transfer full quality DV video, you
need to use firewire. As well, firewire is supported by any DV
capable video app, and firewire cameras are supported as well. It is
possible that some newer models will transfer at higher quality using
USB2, but it seems pointless when firewire is included and offers a
superior solution -- it was specifically designed for DV camcorders.

Second, if you do want to use USB to transfer mpeg video, you have
to enable that in the camera menu. I don't believe it is on by
default. Once on, it may work only in VCR mode when playing tapes, or
it could work as live USB video streaming in Camera mode. You will
need to use a capture app which can work with a USB device -- Sony's
own Pixela will do that.
--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________| *Starfire* |____________________-*
** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/&gt;
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/&gt;
June 17, 2004 12:33:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Jeffery S. Jones" <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote in message
news:hs4uc057t5u01dt8thciob9jr5g1pafr32@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:39:27 +0100, "Jim" <worldzone@hotmail.com>
> wrote:

>
> First of all, you can only transfer DV via firewire -- Premiere
> isn't the only application which will have limitations with it. Via
> USB, you can *NOT* transfer DV data rate; instead, AFAIK it is
> recompressed using the cameras mpeg1 processor, yielding low res, low
> quality video. If you want to transfer full quality DV video, you
> need to use firewire. As well, firewire is supported by any DV
> capable video app, and firewire cameras are supported as well. It is
> possible that some newer models will transfer at higher quality using
> USB2, but it seems pointless when firewire is included and offers a
> superior solution -- it was specifically designed for DV camcorders.
>
> Second, if you do want to use USB to transfer mpeg video, you have
> to enable that in the camera menu. I don't believe it is on by
> default. Once on, it may work only in VCR mode when playing tapes, or
> it could work as live USB video streaming in Camera mode. You will
> need to use a capture app which can work with a USB device -- Sony's
> own Pixela will do that.


USB2 is very different from USB1 it can transfer data at a slightly faster
rate than firewire. Over 400Mbit/sec I think so it should be at least as
good as firewire and should be able to transfer DV.
The reason he wants to use the USB is he's got a laptop which hasn't got a
firewire card.
Thanks for answering. So he needs enable USB transfer in the camera menu and
use a video editing application that supports USB transfer.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 3:39:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:33:55 +0100, "Jim" <worldzone@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>
>"Jeffery S. Jones" <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote in message
>news:hs4uc057t5u01dt8thciob9jr5g1pafr32@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:39:27 +0100, "Jim" <worldzone@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
>>
>> First of all, you can only transfer DV via firewire -- Premiere
>> isn't the only application which will have limitations with it. Via
>> USB, you can *NOT* transfer DV data rate; instead, AFAIK it is
>> recompressed using the cameras mpeg1 processor, yielding low res, low
>> quality video. If you want to transfer full quality DV video, you
>> need to use firewire. As well, firewire is supported by any DV
>> capable video app, and firewire cameras are supported as well. It is
>> possible that some newer models will transfer at higher quality using
>> USB2, but it seems pointless when firewire is included and offers a
>> superior solution -- it was specifically designed for DV camcorders.
>>
>> Second, if you do want to use USB to transfer mpeg video, you have
>> to enable that in the camera menu. I don't believe it is on by
>> default. Once on, it may work only in VCR mode when playing tapes, or
>> it could work as live USB video streaming in Camera mode. You will
>> need to use a capture app which can work with a USB device -- Sony's
>> own Pixela will do that.
>
>
>USB2 is very different from USB1 it can transfer data at a slightly faster
>rate than firewire. Over 400Mbit/sec I think so it should be at least as
>good as firewire and should be able to transfer DV.

Are there any camcorders out there which use the higher USB2 data
rate, and allow transfer of DV over USB? I haven't seen it so far,
and if the camcorder doesn't support it, it doesn't matter what the
interface might be capable of.

>The reason he wants to use the USB is he's got a laptop which hasn't got a
>firewire card.
>Thanks for answering. So he needs enable USB transfer in the camera menu and
>use a video editing application that supports USB transfer.

Correct. DV apps are generally designed around firewire, whose
device control specs are very well standardized. Since the camcorders
all come with DV, there isn't much incentive to add USB support.
--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________| *Starfire* |____________________-*
** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/&gt;
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/&gt;
!