Splitting pure audio track (Digital file on PC)

I'm a frequenter of this group daily so I hope you'll forgive me if I ask a
pure audio question. I recorded a 98 minute performance of an opera onto VHS
tape off FM radio and got a great recording. I transferred it to my PC using
Microsoft Plus' Analog Recorder, ending up with a WMV file that plays
perfectly on my PC for each of its 98 minutes. Trouble is it recorded as
one track, consequently, because of its length, I cannot burn a CD of it. My
various burners and my discs all do 80 minutes and won't accept this file
saying it is too long. I'd like to break the track into two equal halves.

I guess I missed the opportunity to split the single track up when I copied
to the PC and finalized it. Now I can't find a free utility to split WMV
files online. Other than re-copying the VHS analog to digital and using the
Microsoft Plus Analog recorder program to split the track before finalizing
it to the PC, has anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Denzil.

Denzil Hathway wrote:

> I'm a frequenter of this group daily so I hope you'll forgive me if I ask a
> pure audio question. I recorded a 98 minute performance of an opera onto VHS
> tape off FM radio and got a great recording. I transferred it to my PC using
> Microsoft Plus' Analog Recorder, ending up with a WMV file that plays
> perfectly on my PC for each of its 98 minutes. Trouble is it recorded as
> one track, consequently, because of its length, I cannot burn a CD of it. My
> various burners and my discs all do 80 minutes and won't accept this file
> saying it is too long. I'd like to break the track into two equal halves.
>
> I guess I missed the opportunity to split the single track up when I copied
> to the PC and finalized it. Now I can't find a free utility to split WMV
> files online. Other than re-copying the VHS analog to digital and using the
> Microsoft Plus Analog recorder program to split the track before finalizing
> it to the PC, has anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Denzil.

Had you recorded it as a standard WAV file, you'd have no problem at
all. You may want to re-capture it. If this "Microsoft Plus"
recorder does not aupport capturing audio as WAV, I suggest you drop it
ASAP.

-WD

Rich

"Denzil Hathway" <hathway@cox.net> wrote in message
> I'm a frequenter of this group daily so I hope you'll forgive me if I ask
> pure audio question. I recorded a 98 minute performance of an opera onto
VHS
> tape off FM radio and got a great recording. I transferred it to my PC
using
> Microsoft Plus' Analog Recorder, ending up with a WMV file that plays
> perfectly on my PC for each of its 98 minutes. Trouble is it recorded as
> one track, consequently, because of its length, I cannot burn a CD of it.
My
> various burners and my discs all do 80 minutes and won't accept this file
> saying it is too long. I'd like to break the track into two equal halves.
>
> I guess I missed the opportunity to split the single track up when I
copied
> to the PC and finalized it. Now I can't find a free utility to split WMV
> files online. Other than re-copying the VHS analog to digital and using
the
> Microsoft Plus Analog recorder program to split the track before
finalizing
> it to the PC, has anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Denzil.

If you have XP you have Windows Movie Maker. You can import the WMV. Cut
segments and then "Save as movie". Since you have no video it will offer
you various audio choices. Just tried it and saved as .WMA file in my
choice. You might want to try various choices.

Rich