Valve team up with EA

news:1121726444.26079.0@lotis.uk.clara.net
> http://info.ea.com/news/pr/pr651.htm
>
> Interesting times...

Thanks for that, it just sorta shot the seat out from under
you-know-who! LOL!
McG.

Andrew

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:45:45 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>http://info.ea.com/news/pr/pr651.htm
>
>Interesting times...

Wierd, I wouldn't have thought EA would want to jump into bed with a
company selling their games via Steam. Makes sense for the console
versions, but PC's?

Andrew

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:05:01 +0200, Civilian_Target <tadhgp@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Eugh. I really don't like EA. I wonder will this lead to further
>disc-protection silliness on future Valve games...

No discs to protect with Steam :)

garry

I don't think it matters to them - they're still making more money than they
were before.

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:05:01 +0200, Civilian_Target <tadhgp@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Eugh. I really don't like EA. I wonder will this lead to further
>>disc-protection silliness on future Valve games...
>
> No discs to protect with Steam :)

Well at least i can play without the disc inserted.

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:45:45 +0100, "Shawk"
> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>
>> http://info.ea.com/news/pr/pr651.htm
>>
>> Interesting times...
>
> Wierd, I wouldn't have thought EA would want to jump into bed with a
> company selling their games via Steam. Makes sense for the console
> versions, but PC's?

There are evidently a lot of potential buyers out there that won't buy
through Steam. Or so it seems they'd be thinking. I'd think they want
to just cover as much market area as they can. Leaving hard-copy retail
out leaves an obviously large hole :)
McG.

Andrew

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:07:13 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>There are evidently a lot of potential buyers out there that won't buy
>through Steam. Or so it seems they'd be thinking. I'd think they want
>to just cover as much market area as they can. Leaving hard-copy retail
>out leaves an obviously large hole :)

I wasn't questioning the existing need for selling via the retail
channel, just EA seems an odd choice as they attempt to be so
monopolistic.

Andrew wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:05:01 +0200, Civilian_Target <tadhgp@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Eugh. I really don't like EA. I wonder will this lead to further
>>disc-protection silliness on future Valve games...
>

> No discs to protect with Steam :)

Yep - but I'm part of that "hole" in the market that hasn't got enough
bandwidth to buy over steam...

Civilian_Target

"Civilian_Target" <tadhgp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Andrew wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:05:01 +0200, Civilian_Target <tadhgp@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Eugh. I really don't like EA. I wonder will this lead to further
>>>disc-protection silliness on future Valve games...
>>

>> No discs to protect with Steam :)
>
> Yep - but I'm part of that "hole" in the market that hasn't got enough
> bandwidth to buy over steam...

I bought from pc world for £19.99. whole thing installed. Only once
registered with steam did 'decrypting files' appear. After that the game
ran without dvd in the drive. Yes single dvd. I wish they had released the
matrix like that.

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:07:13 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>There are evidently a lot of potential buyers out there that won't buy
>>through Steam. Or so it seems they'd be thinking. I'd think they want
>>to just cover as much market area as they can. Leaving hard-copy retail
>>out leaves an obviously large hole :)
>
> I wasn't questioning the existing need for selling via the retail
> channel, just EA seems an odd choice as they attempt to be so
> monopolistic.

I would never buy a download only version of anything. I know people having
this problem with transferring to different devices and thats just audio.
How do you backup? Nah i wanna buy in a shop so if anything goes wrong i
can go and yell at a real person rather than be put on hold for 20mins.

Andrew

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:09:12 GMT, "ian lincoln" <jessops@sux.com>
wrote:

>I would never buy a download only version of anything. I know people having
>this problem with transferring to different devices and thats just audio.

DRM is the problem with Audio downloads. Steam does not use DRM and is
easy to install or copy to multiple machines.

>How do you backup?

steam://backup

> Nah i wanna buy in a shop so if anything goes wrong i
>can go and yell at a real person rather than be put on hold for 20mins.

I would prefer something that doesn't go wrong, like physical media
easily can. Steam works great for me.

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:07:13 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There are evidently a lot of potential buyers out there that won't
>> buy through Steam. Or so it seems they'd be thinking. I'd think
>> they want to just cover as much market area as they can. Leaving
>> hard-copy retail out leaves an obviously large hole :)
>
> I wasn't questioning the existing need for selling via the retail
> channel, just EA seems an odd choice as they attempt to be so
> monopolistic.

Hm. Seems EA is strong in sports games, PC and console. The bit that
surprises me is that they'd take on a FPS like HL2 in the first place.
If Valve can call the shots in their contract, I'd say both can make a
ton of money. Valve has the upper hand. I think EA is along for the
publishing only. Most publishers these days tell the developers
what/how/how far/how long etc. Most publishers own most developers. So
then Valve just went with who would tow THEIR line is all. EA will make
money even if they don't control anything Valve does.
McG.

Andrew

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:20:16 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>Hm. Seems EA is strong in sports games, PC and console. The bit that
>surprises me is that they'd take on a FPS like HL2 in the first place.

Erm, BF1942, BF2, the MOH series?

"Andrew" wrote

> Erm, BF1942, BF2, the MOH series?

Freedom Fighters, 007 etc
Valve has been involved with 007 Nightfire

- Peter

"Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Andrew" wrote
>>
>> Erm, BF1942, BF2, the MOH series?
>
> Freedom Fighters, 007 etc
> Valve has been involved with 007 Nightfire

EA involved with the command and conquer series?

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:20:16 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hm. Seems EA is strong in sports games, PC and console. The bit
>> that surprises me is that they'd take on a FPS like HL2 in the first
>> place.
>
> Erm, BF1942, BF2, the MOH series?

Oh don't know anything about those, they didn't interest me :) honest!
McG.

> "ian lincoln" wrote
>>
>> EA involved with the command and conquer series?
> http://www.eagames.com/official/cc/generals/us/zerohour_feature.jsp?state=9

coo! The last one i played was c +c red alert2. I played the original red
alert and the expansion packs. Ironically i still have the expansion packs
and the packaging to r a but the actual disks are missing. I also played
the multi disk dune 2 where you had to run an emm386 special disk so that
you had the whole 640kb of base ram to play the game. That was when 640kb
was a whopping amount of ram. :)

I should really look into emulators such as snes and c 64 from my mispent
youth.

ian lincoln wrote:
> "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"ian lincoln" wrote
>>
>>>EA involved with the command and conquer series?
>>
>>http://www.eagames.com/official/cc/generals/us/zerohour_feature.jsp?state=9
>

> coo! The last one i played was c +c red alert2. I played the original red
> alert and the expansion packs. Ironically i still have the expansion packs
> and the packaging to r a but the actual disks are missing. I also played
> the multi disk dune 2 where you had to run an emm386 special disk so that
> you had the whole 640kb of base ram to play the game. That was when 640kb
> was a whopping amount of ram. :)
>
> I should really look into emulators such as snes and c 64 from my mispent
> youth.

I've owned pretty much every game in the C&C series back to the original
C&C (didnt really like Dune 2 at the time for some reason) .. I remember
the excitement of playing C&C through for the first time, and always
feeling just a little bit disappointed with all the subsequent C&C games
for just not doing enough to redefine the genre, and recycling far too
many tired old ideas.

C&C Generals was refreshingly different from any of the previous games,
and, for me, was a breath of new life into the RTS genre, which had
certainly gone stale with so many mediocre C&C wannabes and spinoffs..
if you've never tried Generals, give it a go! you might be pleasantly
surprised.. the only gripe about it is how EA allowed the multiplayer
scene to become torn apart by cheaters, crackers and unpatched exploits :-/

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

"Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
> ian lincoln wrote:
>> "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"ian lincoln" wrote

>>>http://www.eagames.com/official/cc/generals/us/zerohour_feature.jsp?state=9
>>

>> coo! The last one i played was c +c red alert2. I played the original
>> red alert and the expansion packs. Ironically i still have the expansion
>> packs and the packaging to r a but the actual disks are missing. I also
>> played the multi disk dune 2 where you had to run an emm386 special disk
>> so that you had the whole 640kb of base ram to play the game. That was
>> when 640kb was a whopping amount of ram. :)
>>
>> I should really look into emulators such as snes and c 64 from my mispent
>> youth.
>
> I've owned pretty much every game in the C&C series back to the original
> C&C (didnt really like Dune 2 at the time for some reason)

Dune 2 is what got me addicted to westwood and rts. My guess is the
ridiculous dance you had to go through to get the thing to play. You had to
make a special boot disk.

Ben Cottrell wrote:
> C&C Generals was refreshingly different from any of the previous games,
> and, for me, was a breath of new life into the RTS genre, which had
> certainly gone stale with so many mediocre C&C wannabes and spinoffs..
> if you've never tried Generals, give it a go! you might be pleasantly
> surprised.. the only gripe about it is how EA allowed the multiplayer
> scene to become torn apart by cheaters, crackers and unpatched exploits :-/

Personally - I thought C&C went stale after Red Alert - Tib Sun was a
huge letdown, although RA2 wasn't a bad game overall.

Personally - I'm still a believer that TA was the kiss of life for RTS -
what was started by Red Alert was taken to new heights. I'd still say
its one of the 5 best RTS's out there - 7 years later.

> Ben Cottrell wrote:
>> C&C Generals was refreshingly different from any of the previous games,
>> and, for me, was a breath of new life into the RTS genre, which had
>> certainly gone stale with so many mediocre C&C wannabes and spinoffs.. if
>> you've never tried Generals, give it a go! you might be pleasantly
>> surprised.. the only gripe about it is how EA allowed the multiplayer
>> scene to become torn apart by cheaters, crackers and unpatched exploits
>> :-/
>
> Personally - I thought C&C went stale after Red Alert - Tib Sun was a huge
> letdown, although RA2 wasn't a bad game overall.
>
> Personally - I'm still a believer that TA was the kiss of life for RTS -
> what was started by Red Alert was taken to new heights. I'd still say its
> one of the 5 best RTS's out there - 7 years later.
>
> Civilian_Target

I recently tried star trek away team. A real bastard control system even
with the pause time feature. I didn't bother to finish it. Luckily i got
it our of the bargain bin from toys r us.