Valve team up with EA

http://info.ea.com/news/pr/pr651.htm

Interesting times...
28 answers Last reply
More about valve team

    news:1121726444.26079.0@lotis.uk.clara.net
    > http://info.ea.com/news/pr/pr651.htm
    >
    > Interesting times...

    Thanks for that, it just sorta shot the seat out from under
    you-know-who! LOL!
    McG.

    > It also includes Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Day of Defeat™: Source.

    When, oh when??

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:45:45 +0100, "Shawk"
    <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

    >http://info.ea.com/news/pr/pr651.htm
    >
    >Interesting times...

    Wierd, I wouldn't have thought EA would want to jump into bed with a
    company selling their games via Steam. Makes sense for the console
    versions, but PC's?

    Shawk wrote:
    > http://info.ea.com/news/pr/pr651.htm
    >
    > Interesting times...

    Eugh. I really don't like EA. I wonder will this lead to further
    disc-protection silliness on future Valve games...

    Civilian_Target

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:05:01 +0200, Civilian_Target <tadhgp@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Eugh. I really don't like EA. I wonder will this lead to further
    >disc-protection silliness on future Valve games...

    No discs to protect with Steam :-)

    I don't think it matters to them - they're still making more money than they
    were before.

    > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:05:01 +0200, Civilian_Target <tadhgp@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Eugh. I really don't like EA. I wonder will this lead to further
    >>disc-protection silliness on future Valve games...
    >
    > No discs to protect with Steam :-)

    Well at least i can play without the disc inserted.

    > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:45:45 +0100, "Shawk"
    > <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    >
    >> http://info.ea.com/news/pr/pr651.htm
    >>
    >> Interesting times...
    >
    > Wierd, I wouldn't have thought EA would want to jump into bed with a
    > company selling their games via Steam. Makes sense for the console
    > versions, but PC's?

    There are evidently a lot of potential buyers out there that won't buy
    through Steam. Or so it seems they'd be thinking. I'd think they want
    to just cover as much market area as they can. Leaving hard-copy retail
    out leaves an obviously large hole :)
    McG.

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:07:13 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >There are evidently a lot of potential buyers out there that won't buy
    >through Steam. Or so it seems they'd be thinking. I'd think they want
    >to just cover as much market area as they can. Leaving hard-copy retail
    >out leaves an obviously large hole :)

    I wasn't questioning the existing need for selling via the retail
    channel, just EA seems an odd choice as they attempt to be so
    monopolistic.

    Andrew wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:05:01 +0200, Civilian_Target <tadhgp@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Eugh. I really don't like EA. I wonder will this lead to further
    >>disc-protection silliness on future Valve games...
    >

    > No discs to protect with Steam :-)

    Yep - but I'm part of that "hole" in the market that hasn't got enough
    bandwidth to buy over steam...

    Civilian_Target

    "Civilian_Target" <tadhgp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Andrew wrote:
    >> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:05:01 +0200, Civilian_Target <tadhgp@yahoo.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Eugh. I really don't like EA. I wonder will this lead to further
    >>>disc-protection silliness on future Valve games...
    >>

    >> No discs to protect with Steam :-)
    >
    > Yep - but I'm part of that "hole" in the market that hasn't got enough
    > bandwidth to buy over steam...

    I bought from pc world for £19.99. whole thing installed. Only once
    registered with steam did 'decrypting files' appear. After that the game
    ran without dvd in the drive. Yes single dvd. I wish they had released the
    matrix like that.

    > On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:07:13 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>There are evidently a lot of potential buyers out there that won't buy
    >>through Steam. Or so it seems they'd be thinking. I'd think they want
    >>to just cover as much market area as they can. Leaving hard-copy retail
    >>out leaves an obviously large hole :)
    >
    > I wasn't questioning the existing need for selling via the retail
    > channel, just EA seems an odd choice as they attempt to be so
    > monopolistic.

    I would never buy a download only version of anything. I know people having
    this problem with transferring to different devices and thats just audio.
    How do you backup? Nah i wanna buy in a shop so if anything goes wrong i
    can go and yell at a real person rather than be put on hold for 20mins.

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:09:12 GMT, "ian lincoln" <jessops@sux.com>
    wrote:

    >I would never buy a download only version of anything. I know people having
    >this problem with transferring to different devices and thats just audio.

    DRM is the problem with Audio downloads. Steam does not use DRM and is
    easy to install or copy to multiple machines.

    >How do you backup?

    steam://backup

    > Nah i wanna buy in a shop so if anything goes wrong i
    >can go and yell at a real person rather than be put on hold for 20mins.

    I would prefer something that doesn't go wrong, like physical media
    easily can. Steam works great for me.

    > On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:07:13 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> There are evidently a lot of potential buyers out there that won't
    >> buy through Steam. Or so it seems they'd be thinking. I'd think
    >> they want to just cover as much market area as they can. Leaving
    >> hard-copy retail out leaves an obviously large hole :)
    >
    > I wasn't questioning the existing need for selling via the retail
    > channel, just EA seems an odd choice as they attempt to be so
    > monopolistic.

    Hm. Seems EA is strong in sports games, PC and console. The bit that
    surprises me is that they'd take on a FPS like HL2 in the first place.
    If Valve can call the shots in their contract, I'd say both can make a
    ton of money. Valve has the upper hand. I think EA is along for the
    publishing only. Most publishers these days tell the developers
    what/how/how far/how long etc. Most publishers own most developers. So
    then Valve just went with who would tow THEIR line is all. EA will make
    money even if they don't control anything Valve does.
    McG.

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:20:16 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hm. Seems EA is strong in sports games, PC and console. The bit that
    >surprises me is that they'd take on a FPS like HL2 in the first place.

    Erm, BF1942, BF2, the MOH series?

    "Andrew" wrote

    > Erm, BF1942, BF2, the MOH series?

    Freedom Fighters, 007 etc
    Valve has been involved with 007 Nightfire

    - Peter

    "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Andrew" wrote
    >>
    >> Erm, BF1942, BF2, the MOH series?
    >
    > Freedom Fighters, 007 etc
    > Valve has been involved with 007 Nightfire

    EA involved with the command and conquer series?

    "ian lincoln" wrote

    > EA involved with the command and conquer series?
    http://www.eagames.com/official/cc/generals/us/zerohour_feature.jsp?state=9

    - Peter

    > On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:20:16 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Hm. Seems EA is strong in sports games, PC and console. The bit
    >> that surprises me is that they'd take on a FPS like HL2 in the first
    >> place.
    >
    > Erm, BF1942, BF2, the MOH series?

    Oh don't know anything about those, they didn't interest me :) honest!
    McG.

    > "ian lincoln" wrote
    >>
    >> EA involved with the command and conquer series?
    > http://www.eagames.com/official/cc/generals/us/zerohour_feature.jsp?state=9

    coo! The last one i played was c +c red alert2. I played the original red
    alert and the expansion packs. Ironically i still have the expansion packs
    and the packaging to r a but the actual disks are missing. I also played
    the multi disk dune 2 where you had to run an emm386 special disk so that
    you had the whole 640kb of base ram to play the game. That was when 640kb
    was a whopping amount of ram. :)

    I should really look into emulators such as snes and c 64 from my mispent
    youth.

    ian lincoln wrote:
    > "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"ian lincoln" wrote
    >>
    >>>EA involved with the command and conquer series?
    >>
    >>http://www.eagames.com/official/cc/generals/us/zerohour_feature.jsp?state=9
    >

    > coo! The last one i played was c +c red alert2. I played the original red
    > alert and the expansion packs. Ironically i still have the expansion packs
    > and the packaging to r a but the actual disks are missing. I also played
    > the multi disk dune 2 where you had to run an emm386 special disk so that
    > you had the whole 640kb of base ram to play the game. That was when 640kb
    > was a whopping amount of ram. :)
    >
    > I should really look into emulators such as snes and c 64 from my mispent
    > youth.

    I've owned pretty much every game in the C&C series back to the original
    C&C (didnt really like Dune 2 at the time for some reason) .. I remember
    the excitement of playing C&C through for the first time, and always
    feeling just a little bit disappointed with all the subsequent C&C games
    for just not doing enough to redefine the genre, and recycling far too
    many tired old ideas.

    C&C Generals was refreshingly different from any of the previous games,
    and, for me, was a breath of new life into the RTS genre, which had
    certainly gone stale with so many mediocre C&C wannabes and spinoffs..
    if you've never tried Generals, give it a go! you might be pleasantly
    surprised.. the only gripe about it is how EA allowed the multiplayer
    scene to become torn apart by cheaters, crackers and unpatched exploits :-/

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
    > ian lincoln wrote:
    >> "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"ian lincoln" wrote

    >>>http://www.eagames.com/official/cc/generals/us/zerohour_feature.jsp?state=9
    >>

    >> coo! The last one i played was c +c red alert2. I played the original
    >> red alert and the expansion packs. Ironically i still have the expansion
    >> packs and the packaging to r a but the actual disks are missing. I also
    >> played the multi disk dune 2 where you had to run an emm386 special disk
    >> so that you had the whole 640kb of base ram to play the game. That was
    >> when 640kb was a whopping amount of ram. :)
    >>
    >> I should really look into emulators such as snes and c 64 from my mispent
    >> youth.
    >
    > I've owned pretty much every game in the C&C series back to the original
    > C&C (didnt really like Dune 2 at the time for some reason)

    Dune 2 is what got me addicted to westwood and rts. My guess is the
    ridiculous dance you had to go through to get the thing to play. You had to
    make a special boot disk.

    Ben Cottrell wrote:
    > C&C Generals was refreshingly different from any of the previous games,
    > and, for me, was a breath of new life into the RTS genre, which had
    > certainly gone stale with so many mediocre C&C wannabes and spinoffs..
    > if you've never tried Generals, give it a go! you might be pleasantly
    > surprised.. the only gripe about it is how EA allowed the multiplayer
    > scene to become torn apart by cheaters, crackers and unpatched exploits :-/

    Personally - I thought C&C went stale after Red Alert - Tib Sun was a
    huge letdown, although RA2 wasn't a bad game overall.

    Personally - I'm still a believer that TA was the kiss of life for RTS -
    what was started by Red Alert was taken to new heights. I'd still say
    its one of the 5 best RTS's out there - 7 years later.

    > Ben Cottrell wrote:
    >> C&C Generals was refreshingly different from any of the previous games,
    >> and, for me, was a breath of new life into the RTS genre, which had
    >> certainly gone stale with so many mediocre C&C wannabes and spinoffs.. if
    >> you've never tried Generals, give it a go! you might be pleasantly
    >> surprised.. the only gripe about it is how EA allowed the multiplayer
    >> scene to become torn apart by cheaters, crackers and unpatched exploits
    >> :-/
    >
    > Personally - I thought C&C went stale after Red Alert - Tib Sun was a huge
    > letdown, although RA2 wasn't a bad game overall.
    >
    > Personally - I'm still a believer that TA was the kiss of life for RTS -
    > what was started by Red Alert was taken to new heights. I'd still say its
    > one of the 5 best RTS's out there - 7 years later.
    >
    > Civilian_Target

    I recently tried star trek away team. A real bastard control system even
    with the pause time feature. I didn't bother to finish it. Luckily i got
    it our of the bargain bin from toys r us.

    "Civilian_Target" <tadhgp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Ben Cottrell wrote:
    >> C&C Generals was refreshingly different from any of the previous games,
    >> and, for me, was a breath of new life into the RTS genre, which had
    >> certainly gone stale with so many mediocre C&C wannabes and spinoffs.. if
    >> you've never tried Generals, give it a go! you might be pleasantly
    >> surprised.. the only gripe about it is how EA allowed the multiplayer
    >> scene to become torn apart by cheaters, crackers and unpatched exploits
    >> :-/
    >
    > Personally - I thought C&C went stale after Red Alert - Tib Sun was a huge
    > letdown, although RA2 wasn't a bad game overall.
    >
    > Personally - I'm still a believer that TA was the kiss of life for RTS

    Total Annihilation? Robots and stuff? Yeah. Thats the only one i couldn't
    play to the end on both sides at all levels. Still good.

    ian lincoln wrote:

    >>I've owned pretty much every game in the C&C series back to the original
    >>C&C (didnt really like Dune 2 at the time for some reason)
    >

    > Dune 2 is what got me addicted to westwood and rts. My guess is the
    > ridiculous dance you had to go through to get the thing to play. You had to
    > make a special boot disk.

    Actually that part was no problem, since back then it was expected that
    any new game you bought would need some sort of special memory
    requirement - i used to be fairly adept with config.cfg/autoexec.bat
    stuff.. Actually I remember creating a boot menu in the config.cfg on my
    old DOS 6.22 rig... i'd created 5 or 6 different configurations which
    just about catered for 99% of my games between them.. boot disks were
    used for the other 1% :)

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    ian lincoln wrote:

    >>>C&C Generals was refreshingly different from any of the previous games,
    >>>and, for me, was a breath of new life into the RTS genre, which had
    >>>certainly gone stale with so many mediocre C&C wannabes and spinoffs.. if
    >>>you've never tried Generals, give it a go! you might be pleasantly
    >>>surprised.. the only gripe about it is how EA allowed the multiplayer
    >>>scene to become torn apart by cheaters, crackers and unpatched exploits
    >>>:-/
    >>
    >>Personally - I thought C&C went stale after Red Alert - Tib Sun was a huge
    >>letdown, although RA2 wasn't a bad game overall.
    >>
    >>Personally - I'm still a believer that TA was the kiss of life for RTS
    >

    > Total Annihilation? Robots and stuff? Yeah. Thats the only one i couldn't
    > play to the end on both sides at all levels. Still good.

    TA was great fun multiplayer, especially on the Metal Heck style maps :)
    it's a shame that Cavedog went bust soon after releasing TAK (although
    Kingdoms was a really bad followup to TA IMO) ... TA2 should have been
    something special if it had ever been completed.

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    "ian lincoln" <jessops@sux.com> wrote in message
    > "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:07:13 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    >> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are evidently a lot of potential buyers out there that won't
    >>> buy through Steam. Or so it seems they'd be thinking. I'd think
    >>> they want to just cover as much market area as they can. Leaving
    >>> hard-copy retail out leaves an obviously large hole :)
    >>
    >> I wasn't questioning the existing need for selling via the retail
    >> channel, just EA seems an odd choice as they attempt to be so
    >> monopolistic.
    >

    > I would never buy a download only version of anything. I know people
    > having this problem with transferring to different devices and thats
    > just audio. How do you backup? Nah i wanna buy in a shop so if
    > anything goes wrong i can go and yell at a real person rather than be
    > put on hold for 20mins.

    ha! Ok. About the time you wrote this post, I was buying the full
    version of this neat OCR program and deciding which way TO get it.
    Online download or boxed and delivered to my door. I decided I didn't
    want to wait and also save almost a tenner on shipping, and got the
    download version. I suppose I could have run down to the local software
    shop and picked up a boxed copy of it there. For 50% more.
    So, there are times I'm happy enough to buy the download versions :)
    McG.<you get to yell at the same people...nobody!>

Valve Games Video Games