Sony TRV255E Video Capture Problem

peter

Hi All,

After searching Google for 2 days and trying everything I have learnt so
far, I still CANNOT capture video from my camcorder.

Specs:

Windows XP Pro / SP2 Beta

DirectX 9.0b

VIA OHCI Compatible Firewire PCI Card

Sony DCR-TRV255E Digital8 Camcorder

Both camera and firewire/cable bought new.

Device Manager shows up the firewire card okay...And it also shows up:
61883 Device Class -> 61883 Class Bus Device

AVC Device Class -> AVC Device

WHEN the camera is turned on and in Play/VCR mode. They disappear when I
turn the camera OFF. Re-installing both of them reports it as a Sony
TRV255E with exclamation mark before it renames itself to AVC Device
(without the exclamation mark).. Device Manager reports they are working.

But I cannot capture anything at all, I've tried half a dozen capture
programs as well. Premiere/MediaStudio/DVIO/WinDV etc.

Am I right in thinking the camera should show up under Imaging as a
Microsoft DV and VCR device?

Any help would be most appreciated before I crack!

Thanks.

Peter.

In news:peter <no.spam.please@im.british> typed:

> VIA OHCI Compatible Firewire PCI Card

Often the cause of many headaches. Try a different card with a different
chip, preferably a TI or Lucent chip.

--
www.odysea.ca

nbk

Peter wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> After searching Google for 2 days and trying everything I have learnt so
> far, I still CANNOT capture video from my camcorder.
>

> Specs:
>
> Windows XP Pro / SP2 Beta
>
> DirectX 9.0b
>
> VIA OHCI Compatible Firewire PCI Card
>
> Sony DCR-TRV255E Digital8 Camcorder
>

> Both camera and firewire/cable bought new.
>

> Device Manager shows up the firewire card okay...And it also shows up:
> 61883 Device Class -> 61883 Class Bus Device
>
> AVC Device Class -> AVC Device
>

> WHEN the camera is turned on and in Play/VCR mode. They disappear when I
> turn the camera OFF. Re-installing both of them reports it as a Sony
> TRV255E with exclamation mark before it renames itself to AVC Device
> (without the exclamation mark).. Device Manager reports they are working.
>

> But I cannot capture anything at all, I've tried half a dozen capture
> programs as well. Premiere/MediaStudio/DVIO/WinDV etc.
>

> Am I right in thinking the camera should show up under Imaging as a
> Microsoft DV and VCR device?
>

> Any help would be most appreciated before I crack!
>

> Thanks.
>

> Peter.

What program are u using to capture with?

peter

> What program are u using to capture with?

I've tried Ulead VideoStudio Basic, Ulead MediaStudio Pro, Adobe Premiere,
WinDV (freeware), DVIO (freeware), VirtualDub (freeware) and MovieMaker 2.
All same error. After some more research I've discovered its Windows XP
inability to detect the camera properly.. but I dunno how to remedy it. How
to stop it detecting as "AVC Device" and detect it as Sony TRV255E under
Imaging in the Device Manager. I'm at a total loss, only thing I can do is
try another card but that could be more money down the pan. As the previous
poster said, it's a VIA problem but I've seen the exact same problem with TI
based cards too. Lucent however I have not seen.. but I've no idea where to
find one of those cards.

Thanks

Peter wrote:
>> What program are u using to capture with?
>
> I've tried Ulead VideoStudio Basic, Ulead MediaStudio Pro, Adobe
> Premiere, WinDV (freeware), DVIO (freeware), VirtualDub (freeware)
> and MovieMaker 2. All same error. After some more research I've
> discovered its Windows XP inability to detect the camera properly..
> but I dunno how to remedy it. How to stop it detecting as "AVC
> Device" and detect it as Sony TRV255E under Imaging in the Device
> Manager. I'm at a total loss, only thing I can do is try another
> card but that could be more money down the pan. As the previous
> poster said, it's a VIA problem but I've seen the exact same problem
> with TI based cards too. Lucent however I have not seen.. but I've
> no idea where to find one of those cards.
>
> Thanks

I came across a firewire problems post on the Sony Vegas forum. Here it is
in the hopes that it helps you out.

***************************
I finally found a solution that really works. It involves downloading a new
1394 driver from Microsoft. Here is the link to the driver (this is for
Windows XP):

Windows XP patch at http://tinyurl.com/2l6cq

Here is the link to the Knowledgebase article that describes the problem:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 329256: Inconsistent gap count can cause
1394 devices to not enumerate at http://tinyurl.com/2ubaz

Mike

peter

> I came across a firewire problems post on the Sony Vegas forum. Here it
> is
> in the hopes that it helps you out.

Thanks Mike, I had already tried that.. it didn't do anything as I already
have Service Pack 2 installed. I think I'll remove the card and try it in
another PC today and see if works.. if not.. then I dunno what to do. :/

Thanks again.