One of my users has a problem playing mpg files. It all started when he shot
video with his digital camera. Once the file was saved to hard drive,
whenever the thumbnails appeared in this folder, XP would BSOD.

I narrowed it down to .mpg files. I updated the DirectX, Media Player and
codecs but still the problem persists.

Any suggestions? I'm running out of options here. Thanks in advance for
any assistance provided.

kzcvtm

"kzcvtm" <kzcvtm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> One of my users has a problem playing mpg files. It all started when he
> shot
> video with his digital camera. Once the file was saved to hard drive,
> whenever the thumbnails appeared in this folder, XP would BSOD.
>
> I narrowed it down to .mpg files. I updated the DirectX, Media Player and
> codecs but still the problem persists.
>
> Any suggestions? I'm running out of options here. Thanks in advance for
> any assistance provided.
>
> kzcvtm

This is a known issue. The video file itself is corrupt. DX, WMP and
codecs have nothing to do with it. If the video still exists in the camera,
try downloading it again, but this time stop all unnecessary programs and
services.

You can test this very easily. You can download a utility called GSpot
Video Appliance that will analyze the video. Move the video onto a CD or
DVD. The folder should now open as normal. Place a known good .mpg file in
the folder. Again, the folder should open normally. Open another file with
the same extension, and the file should play. Try to open the customers
video, and the system will lock or crash.

There are utilities that are supposed to repair the bit stream, but in my
experience none of them work well enough to justify their cost.

Bobby

I checked out the video in Gspot and it came back normal but when I attempted
to render it, XP crashed. Note: I was able to play this mpg on another XP
machine without incident.....any other ideas?

kzcvtm

"NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

> "kzcvtm" <kzcvtm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > One of my users has a problem playing mpg files. It all started when he
> > shot
> > video with his digital camera. Once the file was saved to hard drive,
> > whenever the thumbnails appeared in this folder, XP would BSOD.
> >
> > I narrowed it down to .mpg files. I updated the DirectX, Media Player and
> > codecs but still the problem persists.
> >
> > Any suggestions? I'm running out of options here. Thanks in advance for
> > any assistance provided.
> >
> > kzcvtm
>
> This is a known issue. The video file itself is corrupt. DX, WMP and
> codecs have nothing to do with it. If the video still exists in the camera,
> try downloading it again, but this time stop all unnecessary programs and
> services.
>
> You can test this very easily. You can download a utility called GSpot
> Video Appliance that will analyze the video. Move the video onto a CD or
> DVD. The folder should now open as normal. Place a known good .mpg file in
> the folder. Again, the folder should open normally. Open another file with
> the same extension, and the file should play. Try to open the customers
> video, and the system will lock or crash.
>
> There are utilities that are supposed to repair the bit stream, but in my
> experience none of them work well enough to justify their cost.
>
> Bobby

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 05:38:02 -0700, kzcvtm
<kzcvtm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I checked out the video in Gspot and it came back normal but when I attempted
>to render it, XP crashed. Note: I was able to play this mpg on another XP
>machine without incident.....any other ideas?
>
>kzcvtm
Is it mpg 1 or mpg 2 ?

Mpg 2 needs externally supplied decoders, and this may be involved.
I once had a similar problem with an older release of the Nvidia
dvd encoders. I unregistered them and installed powerdvd
and the problem was gone.

Dave

rehan

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

MPEG files of either type 1 or 2 are known to cause incompatiblity issues
with Movie maker. It is more frequent in MM since it is caused by a
combination of directshow filters (codecs) that are mainly required for
editing purposes. However the same incompatibility could affect other
applications if they happen to use the same codec combination. Most of the
times there is just a single codec (which is divx codec) interfering with
the filter graph and removal or renaming of this codec would provide a
workaround.

Do a simple file search for *.ax and rename the codecs one at a time.

--
Rehan
MS MVP -- Digital Media

>I checked out the video in Gspot and it came back normal but when I
>attempted
> to render it, XP crashed. Note: I was able to play this mpg on another
> XP
> machine without incident.....any other ideas?
>
> kzcvtm
>
> "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
>

>> "kzcvtm" <kzcvtm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > One of my users has a problem playing mpg files. It all started when
>> > he
>> > shot
>> > video with his digital camera. Once the file was saved to hard drive,
>> > whenever the thumbnails appeared in this folder, XP would BSOD.
>> >
>> > I narrowed it down to .mpg files. I updated the DirectX, Media Player
>> > and
>> > codecs but still the problem persists.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions? I'm running out of options here. Thanks in advance
>> > for
>> > any assistance provided.
>> >
>> > kzcvtm
>>
>> This is a known issue. The video file itself is corrupt. DX, WMP and
>> codecs have nothing to do with it. If the video still exists in the
>> camera,
>> try downloading it again, but this time stop all unnecessary programs and
>> services.
>>
>> You can test this very easily. You can download a utility called GSpot
>> Video Appliance that will analyze the video. Move the video onto a CD or
>> DVD. The folder should now open as normal. Place a known good .mpg file
>> in
>> the folder. Again, the folder should open normally. Open another file
>> with
>> the same extension, and the file should play. Try to open the customers
>> video, and the system will lock or crash.
>>
>> There are utilities that are supposed to repair the bit stream, but in my
>> experience none of them work well enough to justify their cost.
>>
>> Bobby

TRENDING THREADS