mpg file crashes XP

One of my users has a problem playing mpg files. It all started when he shot
video with his digital camera. Once the file was saved to hard drive,
whenever the thumbnails appeared in this folder, XP would BSOD.

I narrowed it down to .mpg files. I updated the DirectX, Media Player and
codecs but still the problem persists.

Any suggestions? I'm running out of options here. Thanks in advance for
any assistance provided.

kzcvtm
4 answers Last reply
More about file crashes

    "kzcvtm" <kzcvtm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > One of my users has a problem playing mpg files. It all started when he
    > shot
    > video with his digital camera. Once the file was saved to hard drive,
    > whenever the thumbnails appeared in this folder, XP would BSOD.
    >
    > I narrowed it down to .mpg files. I updated the DirectX, Media Player and
    > codecs but still the problem persists.
    >
    > Any suggestions? I'm running out of options here. Thanks in advance for
    > any assistance provided.
    >
    > kzcvtm

    This is a known issue. The video file itself is corrupt. DX, WMP and
    codecs have nothing to do with it. If the video still exists in the camera,
    try downloading it again, but this time stop all unnecessary programs and
    services.

    You can test this very easily. You can download a utility called GSpot
    Video Appliance that will analyze the video. Move the video onto a CD or
    DVD. The folder should now open as normal. Place a known good .mpg file in
    the folder. Again, the folder should open normally. Open another file with
    the same extension, and the file should play. Try to open the customers
    video, and the system will lock or crash.

    There are utilities that are supposed to repair the bit stream, but in my
    experience none of them work well enough to justify their cost.

    Bobby

    I checked out the video in Gspot and it came back normal but when I attempted
    to render it, XP crashed. Note: I was able to play this mpg on another XP
    machine without incident.....any other ideas?

    kzcvtm

    "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

    > "kzcvtm" <kzcvtm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > One of my users has a problem playing mpg files. It all started when he
    > > shot
    > > video with his digital camera. Once the file was saved to hard drive,
    > > whenever the thumbnails appeared in this folder, XP would BSOD.
    > >
    > > I narrowed it down to .mpg files. I updated the DirectX, Media Player and
    > > codecs but still the problem persists.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? I'm running out of options here. Thanks in advance for
    > > any assistance provided.
    > >
    > > kzcvtm
    >
    > This is a known issue. The video file itself is corrupt. DX, WMP and
    > codecs have nothing to do with it. If the video still exists in the camera,
    > try downloading it again, but this time stop all unnecessary programs and
    > services.
    >
    > You can test this very easily. You can download a utility called GSpot
    > Video Appliance that will analyze the video. Move the video onto a CD or
    > DVD. The folder should now open as normal. Place a known good .mpg file in
    > the folder. Again, the folder should open normally. Open another file with
    > the same extension, and the file should play. Try to open the customers
    > video, and the system will lock or crash.
    >
    > There are utilities that are supposed to repair the bit stream, but in my
    > experience none of them work well enough to justify their cost.
    >
    > Bobby

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 05:38:02 -0700, kzcvtm
    <kzcvtm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I checked out the video in Gspot and it came back normal but when I attempted
    >to render it, XP crashed. Note: I was able to play this mpg on another XP
    >machine without incident.....any other ideas?
    >
    >kzcvtm
    Is it mpg 1 or mpg 2 ?

    Mpg 2 needs externally supplied decoders, and this may be involved.
    I once had a similar problem with an older release of the Nvidia
    dvd encoders. I unregistered them and installed powerdvd
    and the problem was gone.

    Dave

    MPEG files of either type 1 or 2 are known to cause incompatiblity issues
    with Movie maker. It is more frequent in MM since it is caused by a
    combination of directshow filters (codecs) that are mainly required for
    editing purposes. However the same incompatibility could affect other
    applications if they happen to use the same codec combination. Most of the
    times there is just a single codec (which is divx codec) interfering with
    the filter graph and removal or renaming of this codec would provide a
    workaround.

    Do a simple file search for *.ax and rename the codecs one at a time.

    --
    Rehan
    MS MVP -- Digital Media

    >I checked out the video in Gspot and it came back normal but when I
    >attempted
    > to render it, XP crashed. Note: I was able to play this mpg on another
    > XP
    > machine without incident.....any other ideas?
    >
    > kzcvtm
    >
    > "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
    >

    >> "kzcvtm" <kzcvtm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > One of my users has a problem playing mpg files. It all started when
    >> > he
    >> > shot
    >> > video with his digital camera. Once the file was saved to hard drive,
    >> > whenever the thumbnails appeared in this folder, XP would BSOD.
    >> >
    >> > I narrowed it down to .mpg files. I updated the DirectX, Media Player
    >> > and
    >> > codecs but still the problem persists.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions? I'm running out of options here. Thanks in advance
    >> > for
    >> > any assistance provided.
    >> >
    >> > kzcvtm
    >>
    >> This is a known issue. The video file itself is corrupt. DX, WMP and
    >> codecs have nothing to do with it. If the video still exists in the
    >> camera,
    >> try downloading it again, but this time stop all unnecessary programs and
    >> services.
    >>
    >> You can test this very easily. You can download a utility called GSpot
    >> Video Appliance that will analyze the video. Move the video onto a CD or
    >> DVD. The folder should now open as normal. Place a known good .mpg file
    >> in
    >> the folder. Again, the folder should open normally. Open another file
    >> with
    >> the same extension, and the file should play. Try to open the customers
    >> video, and the system will lock or crash.
    >>
    >> There are utilities that are supposed to repair the bit stream, but in my
    >> experience none of them work well enough to justify their cost.
    >>
    >> Bobby

Video Windows XP