Resolution versus Battery Drain

Does anyone know a rule of thumb on the shooting resolution and the relative
battery
drain?

My on-line research on battery drain has not lead me to information on how
the
selected shooting resolution affects battery drain.

Thanks.

Joseph Freeman

RES of shots really doesn't affect battery life that I'm aware of... It
does affect how many shots you'll get on a memory card, but then just get a
bigger card!

As a general rule, if you use the LCD on the cam, your battery will drain
faster. This is a general rule weather you use AA or proprietary LiON
batteries. Personally I prefer my cams with proprietary LiON batteries.
They are more expensive, but usually last much longer!

Seymore...
www.SonyCams.com
Sony F717 / P50
Nikon D70, FM2n, SB22 SpeedLight
Nikon MF 50mm f1.4 -- AF 60mm f2.8 macro
Nikon AF 24-50mm f3.3/4.5 -- AF 35-135mm f3.5/4.5
Tokina AT-X 100-300mm f4 -- 2x teleconverter
remove "REMOVE" to reply directly

"JosephF" <joseph@shellofficesystems.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know a rule of thumb on the shooting resolution and the
relative
> battery
> drain?
>
> My on-line research on battery drain has not lead me to information on
how
> the
> selected shooting resolution affects battery drain.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joseph Freeman

"JosephF" <joseph@shellofficesystems.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know a rule of thumb on the shooting resolution and the
> relative
> battery
> drain?
>
> My on-line research on battery drain has not lead me to information on how
> the
> selected shooting resolution affects battery drain.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joseph Freeman

I doubt that shooting resolution has anything to do with the amount power
used by the camera.

The amount power used is mostly the electronics and flash or no flash, LCD
on or LCD off. Flash and the LCD use the most power.

If you want to conserve batteries, turn the camera off when not taking
pictures.
With the flash and LCD off the batteries can keep a camera running for
hours.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

fred

It's related to the angle of the dangle.

"JosephF" <joseph@shellofficesystems.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know a rule of thumb on the shooting resolution and the
relative
> battery
> drain?
>
> My on-line research on battery drain has not lead me to information on how
> the
> selected shooting resolution affects battery drain.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joseph Freeman

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

There is likely slightly more drain as the resolution increases. This would
be as much related to how the process of obtaining the data from the image
sensor is done and how it's processed as anything else. Good luck in finding
any meaningful data. It seems most of the details are not part of the
publicly available data on a given camera.
(More data equals more processor and memory clock cycles.)

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
> It's related to the angle of the dangle.
>
> "JosephF" <joseph@shellofficesystems.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know a rule of thumb on the shooting resolution and the
> relative
>> battery
>> drain?
>>
>> My on-line research on battery drain has not lead me to information on
>> how
>> the
>> selected shooting resolution affects battery drain.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Joseph Freeman

---
Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

New post at bottom.
"Chuck" <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote in message
> There is likely slightly more drain as the resolution increases. This
> would be as much related to how the process of obtaining the data from the
> image sensor is done and how it's processed as anything else. Good luck in
> finding any meaningful data. It seems most of the details are not part of
> the publicly available data on a given camera.
> (More data equals more processor and memory clock cycles.)
>
> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
>> It's related to the angle of the dangle.
>>
>> "JosephF" <joseph@shellofficesystems.com> wrote in message
>>> Does anyone know a rule of thumb on the shooting resolution and the
>> relative
>>> battery
>>> drain?
>>>
>>> My on-line research on battery drain has not lead me to information on
>>> how
>>> the
>>> selected shooting resolution affects battery drain.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Joseph Freeman
>>>

> ---
> Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

Actually, the sensor always returns the same amount of data, no matter what
resolution the camera is set to. You can not change the sensor, if you have
a 5 Megapixel sensor, it always sees a 5 megapixel picture. The other
resolutions are down sampled in the Firmware of the camera.

The amount of power required is the same for whatever resolution you set the
camera to because the electronics of the camera is doing the same work, no
matter what the resolution is set to.

Does your computer use more power when doing word processing or large
graphic files? Or does it use the same power just being turned on sitting
idle?

If you have a CPU temperature monitor, you will notice that the CPU
temperature is the same after the initial warm up. And will stay the same
temperature all day, no matter what you use the computer for.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:06:19 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
wrote:

>New post at bottom.
snip

>Does your computer use more power when doing word processing or large
>graphic files? Or does it use the same power just being turned on sitting
>idle?
>
>If you have a CPU temperature monitor, you will notice that the CPU
>temperature is the same after the initial warm up. And will stay the same
>temperature all day, no matter what you use the computer for.

you are joking are you ? .. why do they build in all those nice temps
sensor in present days mobo's do you think ? Why do they set temp
alert levels in BIOS and through performance monitoring progs ?
exactly 'cos of high temperature of CPU's .. any guess why the temp
raises with an heavier load ?
(My P4 3gig goes from idle=34C to 55-58C stressed aka far from stable
all day..)

Notice a distinct camera warm up while shooting picts in a quick
succession .. although this has nothing to do with "resolution" .. :)

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

I stand by my statement, which is based upon the cycle time of an 8M pixel
camera at various resolution and post processing settings. Larger usually
takes longer, since the data ultimately gets transferred to the memory card.

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> New post at bottom.
> "Chuck" <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote in message
>> There is likely slightly more drain as the resolution increases. This
>> would be as much related to how the process of obtaining the data from
>> the image sensor is done and how it's processed as anything else. Good
>> luck in finding any meaningful data. It seems most of the details are not
>> part of the publicly available data on a given camera.
>> (More data equals more processor and memory clock cycles.)
>>
>> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
>>> It's related to the angle of the dangle.
>>>
>>> "JosephF" <joseph@shellofficesystems.com> wrote in message
>>> relative

>> ---
>> Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.
>
> Actually, the sensor always returns the same amount of data, no matter
> what resolution the camera is set to. You can not change the sensor, if
> you have a 5 Megapixel sensor, it always sees a 5 megapixel picture. The
> other resolutions are down sampled in the Firmware of the camera.
>
> The amount of power required is the same for whatever resolution you set
> the camera to because the electronics of the camera is doing the same
> work, no matter what the resolution is set to.
>
> Does your computer use more power when doing word processing or large
> graphic files? Or does it use the same power just being turned on sitting
> idle?
>
> If you have a CPU temperature monitor, you will notice that the CPU
> temperature is the same after the initial warm up. And will stay the same
> temperature all day, no matter what you use the computer for.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --

---
Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:34:29 -0500, "Chuck" <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com>
wrote:

>I stand by my statement, which is based upon the cycle time of an 8M pixel
>camera at various resolution and post processing settings. Larger usually
>takes longer, since the data ultimately gets transferred to the memory card.

I think you are mixing up camera picture resolution and file size by
compression choices ... a bigger file will take longer to save .. raw
being the largest ..