Video Studio Problems

I just downloaded the trial version of Ulead's Video Studio 9. I was trying
out my dad's version 8, but it was very buggy...so I'm trying the newer
version.

I got through the entire process OK until it came time to burn the DVD. I
am receiving an error msg to empty the cache in the working directory, or go
into preferences and change the working directory. I changed the working
directory, but the problem persists. I then restarted the application, but
it made no difference. I only have about 2 gig left of free hard drive
space, but my movie is about 15 minutes long and only needs about 600mb's. I
haven't had any luck getting support on the trial product from Ulead. Any
thoughts? I am going to upgrade my hard drive, but in the mean time if I
can't make this product work I'm going to try another product.

Thanks!

If your movie is 15 minutes long and you are trying to save it in DV-AVI it
will need at least 3gb of hard drive space. NEVER ever leave less than 10%
free hard drive space available.

Go to the store soonest and get a larger hard drive and install it as the
secondard hard drive. If a hard drive fills up completely, the best thing
that will happen is that the PC will stop. The worst thing that will happen
is that it will refuse to start again and you will lost ALL your data.

Remove files and folders you do not need... even if only on a temporary
basis. BACKUP NOW.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"stockcerts" <stockcerts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just downloaded the trial version of Ulead's Video Studio 9. I was
>trying
> out my dad's version 8, but it was very buggy...so I'm trying the newer
> version.
>
> I got through the entire process OK until it came time to burn the DVD. I
> am receiving an error msg to empty the cache in the working directory, or
> go
> into preferences and change the working directory. I changed the working
> directory, but the problem persists. I then restarted the application,
> but
> it made no difference. I only have about 2 gig left of free hard drive
> space, but my movie is about 15 minutes long and only needs about 600mb's.
> haven't had any luck getting support on the trial product from Ulead. Any
> thoughts? I am going to upgrade my hard drive, but in the mean time if I
> can't make this product work I'm going to try another product.
>
> Thanks!

Might I ask why? Is there some intrinsic reason why I can't use the last
10% of my drive's capacity?
I've maxxed out my system drive plenty of times, especially when I'm getting
video ready for burning to
DVD and my available space goes down to well under 1gb.
I do usually leave at least 20% free or more when I defrag as a rule.

But what makes you say windows will refuse to start again?
Is there something about NTFS or WindowsXP that would prevent the system
from restarting if there wasn't enough free drive space?
That would be an incredibly poor design error (not that MS doesn't have it's
share of those.)
Just wondering...

> If your movie is 15 minutes long and you are trying to save it in DV-AVI
it
> will need at least 3gb of hard drive space. NEVER ever leave less than
10%
> free hard drive space available.
>
> Go to the store soonest and get a larger hard drive and install it as the
> secondard hard drive. If a hard drive fills up completely, the best thing
> that will happen is that the PC will stop. The worst thing that will
happen
> is that it will refuse to start again and you will lost ALL your data.
>
> Remove files and folders you do not need... even if only on a temporary
> basis. BACKUP NOW.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "stockcerts" <stockcerts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just downloaded the trial version of Ulead's Video Studio 9. I was
> >trying
> > out my dad's version 8, but it was very buggy...so I'm trying the newer
> > version.
> >
> > I got through the entire process OK until it came time to burn the DVD.
> > am receiving an error msg to empty the cache in the working directory,
or
> > go
> > into preferences and change the working directory. I changed the
working
> > directory, but the problem persists. I then restarted the application,
> > but
> > it made no difference. I only have about 2 gig left of free hard drive
> > space, but my movie is about 15 minutes long and only needs about
600mb's.
> > haven't had any luck getting support on the trial product from Ulead.
Any
> > thoughts? I am going to upgrade my hard drive, but in the mean time if
> > can't make this product work I'm going to try another product.
> >
> > Thanks!

All versions of Windows require at least 15% free hard drive space in order
to defrag the drive.

I've had several friends completely max out their drive by accident. NONE
have been able to retrieve ANY data from them. It also places an enormous
strain on the drive. Nothng to do with any Windows software... to do with
the way the hard drive is designed and how it writes data to the drive.
Complain to the drive manufacturers.

If you have other drives, move the temp files to one with more space. You
can also happily move the Temporary Internet File, the My Documents Folder
etc etc.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"anonymous" <anonymous@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Might I ask why? Is there some intrinsic reason why I can't use the last
> 10% of my drive's capacity?
> I've maxxed out my system drive plenty of times, especially when I'm
> getting
> video ready for burning to
> DVD and my available space goes down to well under 1gb.
> I do usually leave at least 20% free or more when I defrag as a rule.
>
> But what makes you say windows will refuse to start again?
> Is there something about NTFS or WindowsXP that would prevent the system
> from restarting if there wasn't enough free drive space?
> That would be an incredibly poor design error (not that MS doesn't have
> it's
> share of those.)
> Just wondering...

ULEAD doesn't offer support for trial versions so, post the problem in a
Windows Group? Makes perfect sense.

In VS9......>FILE>PREFERENCES> select the GENERAL tab > in the "working
folder" box make sure the path is to the drive with the most free space.
click OK and try again.

NOTEKY

"stockcerts" wrote:

> I just downloaded the trial version of Ulead's Video Studio 9. I was trying
> out my dad's version 8, but it was very buggy...so I'm trying the newer
> version.
>
> I got through the entire process OK until it came time to burn the DVD. I
> am receiving an error msg to empty the cache in the working directory, or go
> into preferences and change the working directory. I changed the working
> directory, but the problem persists. I then restarted the application, but
> it made no difference. I only have about 2 gig left of free hard drive
> space, but my movie is about 15 minutes long and only needs about 600mb's. I
> haven't had any luck getting support on the trial product from Ulead. Any
> thoughts? I am going to upgrade my hard drive, but in the mean time if I
> can't make this product work I'm going to try another product.
>
> Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS