Hi8 vs Digital8 tapes

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

Hi fellas.

I have a Sony TRV355-E Dig 8 camcorder and was using Sony Hi8 tapes which
were really good quality.

I bought some Sony Digital 8's and the quality is really grainy compared to
the Hi8

Is Hi8 actually better? I presumed the dig 8 would be better but t seems
not!

Thanks for any advice,

T.

Rich

"Tom" <tom@tom.tom> wrote in message
> Hi fellas.
>
> I have a Sony TRV355-E Dig 8 camcorder and was using Sony Hi8 tapes which
> were really good quality.
>
> I bought some Sony Digital 8's and the quality is really grainy compared
> the Hi8
>
> Is Hi8 actually better? I presumed the dig 8 would be better but t seems
> not!
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> T.

The Sony tapes I have sitting on my desk say Video Hi8 120, Digital8 60. I
can't find a part number on them.

My TRV460 manual says "This video system has been developed to enable
digital recording to Hi8/Digital8 video cassette.

It has been a practice by Old-Timers (like me) to not switch brands or types
of tapes. In the past we had always been there was different lubricants
used in different brands of types, as well as other formulations of tape.

Never had any failures due to tape. My failures have been due to high G
forces while impacting solid objects, submersion in liquids or having
lightning sneak up the power cord while being charged.

Rich

"Rich" <richsanchez43@usa.com> wrote in message

> "Tom" <tom@tom.tom> wrote in message
> > Hi fellas.
> >
> > I have a Sony TRV355-E Dig 8 camcorder and was using Sony Hi8 tapes
which
> > were really good quality.
> >
> > I bought some Sony Digital 8's and the quality is really grainy compared
> > the Hi8
> >
> > Is Hi8 actually better? I presumed the dig 8 would be better but t seems
> > not!

It's more then likely an issue with the conditions you're shooting in,
rather then the tapes. If it's grainy, chances are it's a lack of light.

> My TRV460 manual says "This video system has been developed to enable
> digital recording to Hi8/Digital8 video cassette.

Dig8 tapes are Hi8 tapes and vice versa. Just different labels, sometimes
different prices.

> It has been a practice by Old-Timers (like me) to not switch brands or
types
> of tapes. In the past we had always been there was different lubricants
> used in different brands of types, as well as other formulations of tape.

I can't believe this rumor is still presisting when it's been debunked so
many times...

The only issue with lubricants has been with one particular line of
Panasonic MiniDV tapes... recognisable by the blue and white plastic casing.
If you use that variety of tape, you can't mix it with any other variety.
You can however, mix all other varieties.

There are no problems mixing any sort of Hi8 or Dig8 tape.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

The record mode is digital and so you should not notice any difference. Any
fault in the tape I would expect to appear as the odd glitch or so.

Graininess would suggest to me low light rather than change of media tape.

I have run Digital 8 & Hi8 tapes thro a TRV120 and found no difference.

Cheers

"Tom" <tom@tom.tom> wrote in message
> Hi fellas.
>
> I have a Sony TRV355-E Dig 8 camcorder and was using Sony Hi8 tapes which
> were really good quality.
>
> I bought some Sony Digital 8's and the quality is really grainy compared
> the Hi8
>
> Is Hi8 actually better? I presumed the dig 8 would be better but t seems
> not!
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> T.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

Thanks fellas

Indeed the light was a little low.

Will try again in higher light.

T.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.production,uk.rec.video.digital (More info?)

"Tom" <tom@tom.tom> wrote in message
> Hi fellas.
>
> I have a Sony TRV355-E Dig 8 camcorder and was using Sony Hi8 tapes which
> were really good quality.
>
> I bought some Sony Digital 8's and the quality is really grainy compared
> the Hi8
>
> Is Hi8 actually better? I presumed the dig 8 would be better but t seems
> not!
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> T.

There is no difference in picture quality among different tapes when you are
recording in a digital format, such as D8. The only difference you might
notice is more dropouts (little square artifacts) on a cheaper or older
tape. You can buy a low priced, non Hi8 tape and use it in your D8 camera
and it will hold the same digital data as any other tape. Digital is
digital, and the 0's and 1's don't change when you use cheaper tape, (and if
they do change a little, error correction takes care of minor changes).
Major changes or loss of data on a digital tape will not show up as grainy
noise, rather, you will see squares in the picture out of place, like a
puzzle with pieces in the wrong place. To say that one tape produces better
quality video in a digital format than another is like saying that I have a
better hard drive than you, so therefore my mp3's sound better than yours.

Sanman