external usb/firewire harddrive problem..

Hello. I've just bought a WD 250GB usb/firewire external hard drive, mainly
for video editing and the files involved are really large. But I'm having a
problem with it.
Now the usb connection seems to work ok. I can capture video to the drive
and edit it, then save the rendered file. . But I've heard that the firewire
connection is meant to be more reliable and faster when dealing with hard
drives so I'd prefer to use this. However it doesn't work. When I connect it
through firewire it starts off okay, but when I start transferring files to
the drive, after a couple minutes it disappears from Windows and I get a
Delayed Write Failed message. I think this happens because the connection to
the drive has stopped. The drive is no longer recognized in My
Computer/Device Manager/Disk Management. It has gone west! This happens
EVERY time. I then unplug the cable from the drive/computer, reconnect and
it appears again with no conflicts but disappears after a few mins when I
try to use the drive with a delayed write error.
This only happens when I connect through firewire. It hasn't happened when
I've used the USB.
I've has the firewire card for 10months and have used it to transfer dv from
my camera with no problems.

Has anyone experienced something like this and if so what could be the
solution to get the firewire to work? I don't think the disk is faulty as it
works with the USB. The card has 3 firewire ports and I get the same problem
with all of them
5 answers Last reply
More about external firewire harddrive problem

    I often have this problem with an ADS firewire enclosure housing an IBM 120
    GB drive. Usually not during writes, but it seems Windows XP loses
    connection with the drive inadvertantly. I usually just reboot the drive,
    but it is annoying and Windows often hangs.

    Any suggestions out there for folks who just want to edit video and not mess
    with Window's little glitches (and please don't mention buying a Mac)?

    - f_f

    "Jack2" <here2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. I've just bought a WD 250GB usb/firewire external hard drive,
    mainly
    > for video editing and the files involved are really large. But I'm having
    > problem with it.
    > Now the usb connection seems to work ok. I can capture video to the drive
    > and edit it, then save the rendered file. . But I've heard that the
    firewire
    > connection is meant to be more reliable and faster when dealing with hard
    > drives so I'd prefer to use this. However it doesn't work. When I connect
    it
    > through firewire it starts off okay, but when I start transferring files
    > the drive, after a couple minutes it disappears from Windows and I get a
    > Delayed Write Failed message. I think this happens because the connection
    > the drive has stopped. The drive is no longer recognized in My
    > Computer/Device Manager/Disk Management. It has gone west! This happens
    > EVERY time. I then unplug the cable from the drive/computer, reconnect and
    > it appears again with no conflicts but disappears after a few mins when I
    > try to use the drive with a delayed write error.
    > This only happens when I connect through firewire. It hasn't happened when
    > I've used the USB.
    > I've has the firewire card for 10months and have used it to transfer dv
    from
    > my camera with no problems.
    >
    > Has anyone experienced something like this and if so what could be the
    > solution to get the firewire to work? I don't think the disk is faulty as
    it
    > works with the USB. The card has 3 firewire ports and I get the same
    problem
    > with all of them

    Check out the following and see if it works:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=9E8DF3F3-CD0C-4EDB-936A-5F0043E88BB2
    Discussed at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329256

    In addition: The Western Digital online help used to have the following
    posted: (I copied it a long time ago, so I don't know if it's still posted)

    Problem:
    While using a FireWire drive in Windows 2000/XP, a "Delayed write error"
    appears. In addition to the error message, data corruption may occur on the
    drive.

    Cause:
    The exact cause is not known. We are currently working to determine the
    exact cause of this issue.

    Resolution:
    We have provided a workaround that is successful in many cases. Do the
    following for EACH device listed in Disk Management. This includes EIDE
    drives and CD-ROM drives, as well as the FireWire drive.
    Access Disk Management.

    Locate the drive listing in the top right-hand window. Right-click on the
    drive and select Change Drive Letter and Path.

    A new window appears. Select the drive again and click Edit or Change.

    DO NOT make any changes. Click OK or Cancel.

    Locate the drive in the bottom right-hand window of Disk Management (this is
    a graphical representation of the drives in your system).

    Right-click on the drive and again choose Change Drive Letter and Path and
    then exit the window.

    After you have completed steps 1-6 for each device listed in Disk
    Management, restart the system.

    Hope this helps.

    JTH

    "MD Vid" <halljt1@qwest.net> wrote in message
    > Check out the following and see if it works:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=9E8DF3F3-CD0C-4EDB-936A-5F0043E88BB2
    > Discussed at:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329256
    >
    > In addition: The Western Digital online help used to have the following
    > posted: (I copied it a long time ago, so I don't know if it's still
    posted)

    > Problem:
    > While using a FireWire drive in Windows 2000/XP, a "Delayed write error"
    > appears. In addition to the error message, data corruption may occur on
    the
    > drive.
    >
    > Cause:
    > The exact cause is not known. We are currently working to determine the
    > exact cause of this issue.
    >
    > Resolution:
    > We have provided a workaround that is successful in many cases. Do the
    > following for EACH device listed in Disk Management. This includes EIDE
    > drives and CD-ROM drives, as well as the FireWire drive.
    > Access Disk Management.
    >
    > Locate the drive listing in the top right-hand window. Right-click on the
    > drive and select Change Drive Letter and Path.
    >
    > A new window appears. Select the drive again and click Edit or Change.
    >
    > DO NOT make any changes. Click OK or Cancel.
    >
    > Locate the drive in the bottom right-hand window of Disk Management (this
    is
    > a graphical representation of the drives in your system).
    >
    > Right-click on the drive and again choose Change Drive Letter and Path and
    > then exit the window.
    >
    > After you have completed steps 1-6 for each device listed in Disk
    > Management, restart the system.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > JTH

    Hello and thank-you very much for your reply.
    Sadly it didn't work :( :(
    I installed the Microsoft hotfix, and went through the change drive letter
    routine. But to no avail. It still crashes the drive when it's connected via
    the firewire and used, with the 'delayed write failure'. I pulled the lead
    out, then reconnected and the drive appeared again so I tryed to transfer
    data again and after a couple of minutes it crashed the computer with a
    blue stop screen citing the ntfs.sys file. It doesn't like transfering using
    the firewire. I'm not sure what to do. The usb seems to work ok but I'd like
    to connect with the firewire and I'd like to know why it soesn't work.
    But thanks for the reply.
    Has anyone else had any similar experiences, ie an external hard drive
    (western digital se 250 usb/firewire combo - but any in general) not working
    through firewire with 'delayed write' and blue screen crashes whenever you
    start to put it to use?

    Actually, many have had the same experience, and video editing forums all
    over the internet are rife with the same complaint. I have 5 external
    firewire/USB2 drives that I have now converted to just USB2 drives because I
    cannot solve this problem, (the work around described above seems to work
    for some people). In my experience, USB2 is more than adequate for video
    capture and editing. While each of my drives benchmarks a little faster in
    firewire, they are all adequate in USB2. So, until the next Windows update,
    I'm sticking with USB2 for my external drives. If you want to convince
    yourself on the 'adequacy' of your external drives, check out the free
    download from Canopus (raptest):
    http://www.canopus.us/US/products/free_utilities/pm_free_utilities.asp

    JTH

    > Actually, many have had the same experience, and video editing forums all
    > over the internet are rife with the same complaint. I have 5 external
    > firewire/USB2 drives that I have now converted to just USB2 drives because
    > cannot solve this problem, (the work around described above seems to work
    > for some people). In my experience, USB2 is more than adequate for video
    > capture and editing. While each of my drives benchmarks a little faster
    in
    > firewire, they are all adequate in USB2. So, until the next Windows
    update,
    > I'm sticking with USB2 for my external drives. If you want to convince
    > yourself on the 'adequacy' of your external drives, check out the free
    > download from Canopus (raptest):
    > http://www.canopus.us/US/products/free_utilities/pm_free_utilities.asp

    Looks like USB2 it is then

Tuner Cards Connection Firewire Graphics