PowerShot S45: Cannot detect camera

When I attach my PowerShot S45 to a USB port, I get the usual dialog box in
which I can choose various applications to connect with my camera. The
zoombrowser application which I normally use and which is present in the
above list does not recognize the camera. I get the following error message
in a box title CameraWindow:
"Cannot detect camera. Check connection, then retry."
I can fetch the pictures using Windows XP camera wizard and myComputer, with
Photoshop. No problem. So the connection can't be the problem. I reinstalled
the software three times and tried all the updates on the support site that
I could lay my hands on to no avail. Help please!

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:51:44 +0100, "Piet Hein" <PietHein@Noemail.nl>
wrote:

>When I attach my PowerShot S45 to a USB port, I get the usual dialog box in
>which I can choose various applications to connect with my camera. The
>zoombrowser application which I normally use and which is present in the
>above list does not recognize the camera. I get the following error message
>in a box title CameraWindow:
>"Cannot detect camera. Check connection, then retry."
>I can fetch the pictures using Windows XP camera wizard and myComputer, with
>Photoshop. No problem. So the connection can't be the problem. I reinstalled
>the software three times and tried all the updates on the support site that
>I could lay my hands on to no avail. Help please!

That can happen with USB sometimes, that goes for all devices, not
just digital cameras. Uninstall the software (again), also, if the
camera has any particular device drivers (look in device manager to
see), uninstall them as well. Move your camera to a different USB
port, and reinstall. I'd lay 10 to 1 odds that this will fix your
problem. I have to do that with my older MP3 player once every 3 to 4
months, it just stops recognizing on that port, but other devices to
that port work just fine.

Hope that fixes it.