Audio but no Video with DVDs

June 20, 2005 8:55:06 PM

While trying to watch DVDs on any program on my computer all I get is audio
and a black screen.

I don't know what info is needed to help find a solution but is available
upon request.

Any help is truly appreciated.
Thanks

More about : audio video dvds

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:54:53 AM

Reinstall your DVD decoding software.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> While trying to watch DVDs on any program on my computer all I get is
> audio
> and a black screen.
>
> I don't know what info is needed to help find a solution but is available
> upon request.
>
> Any help is truly appreciated.
> Thanks

June 21, 2005 6:25:04 PM

What is DVD decoding software and how do I reinstall it?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Reinstall your DVD decoding software.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > While trying to watch DVDs on any program on my computer all I get is
> > audio
> > and a black screen.
> >
> > I don't know what info is needed to help find a solution but is available
> > upon request.
> >
> > Any help is truly appreciated.
> > Thanks

June 21, 2005 6:51:56 PM

Read through Galen Bridgeman's article:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/b...

Usually PowerDVD or WinDVD come with your PC. DVD decoders are NOT included
in Windows XP and must be purchased separately if the application did not
come preinstalled on your PC.
--

> What is DVD decoding software and how do I reinstall it?
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Reinstall your DVD decoding software.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > While trying to watch DVDs on any program on my computer all I get is
>> > audio
>> > and a black screen.
>> >
>> > I don't know what info is needed to help find a solution but is
>> > available
>> > upon request.
>> >
>> > Any help is truly appreciated.
>> > Thanks

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 6:50:02 PM

Cari;
I have a similar problem in which my video worked fine under WMP9. When I
upgraded to WMP10 it stopped working - only audio now.

MS Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility states my "ArcSoft DVD Video"
decoder "VideoDecoder.ax" version "1.8.1.4" is "not compatible with the
synchronization feature of WMP10".

I cannot downgrade back to WMP9, so am I basically stuck buying new encoder
software?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Read through Galen Bridgeman's article:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/b...
>
> Usually PowerDVD or WinDVD come with your PC. DVD decoders are NOT included
> in Windows XP and must be purchased separately if the application did not
> come preinstalled on your PC.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What is DVD decoding software and how do I reinstall it?
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Reinstall your DVD decoding software.
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Printing & Imaging
> >>

> >> "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 9:33:44 PM

Check for updates from Arcsoft. Why can't you roll back WMP?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Pissed" <Pissed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Cari;
> I have a similar problem in which my video worked fine under WMP9. When I
> upgraded to WMP10 it stopped working - only audio now.
>
> MS Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility states my "ArcSoft DVD Video"
> decoder "VideoDecoder.ax" version "1.8.1.4" is "not compatible with the
> synchronization feature of WMP10".
>
> I cannot downgrade back to WMP9, so am I basically stuck buying new
> encoder
> software?
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Read through Galen Bridgeman's article:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/b...
>>
>> Usually PowerDVD or WinDVD come with your PC. DVD decoders are NOT
>> included
>> in Windows XP and must be purchased separately if the application did not
>> come preinstalled on your PC.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > What is DVD decoding software and how do I reinstall it?

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:35:07 PM

WMP9 states that a newer version of WMP is installed and aborts the install.

Using the XP disc to try and remove it through Add/Remove programs only
removes shortcuts.

Any attempted system restore prior to the installation of WMP10 cannot be
completed.

I haven't figured out any other ways.

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:10:11 PM

From add/remove programmes, click on show updates and then wmp is shown as
available to remove.

--

> WMP9 states that a newer version of WMP is installed and aborts the
> install.
>
> Using the XP disc to try and remove it through Add/Remove programs only
> removes shortcuts.
>
> Any attempted system restore prior to the installation of WMP10 cannot be
> completed.
>
> I haven't figured out any other ways.
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> Check for updates from Arcsoft. Why can't you roll back WMP?
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>>

>> "Pissed" <Pissed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Cari;
>> > I have a similar problem in which my video worked fine under WMP9. When
>> > upgraded to WMP10 it stopped working - only audio now.
>> >
>> > MS Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility states my "ArcSoft DVD
>> > Video"
>> > decoder "VideoDecoder.ax" version "1.8.1.4" is "not compatible with the
>> > synchronization feature of WMP10".
>> >
>> > I cannot downgrade back to WMP9, so am I basically stuck buying new
>> > encoder
>> > software?

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:10:12 PM

Yes, I did find the proper way to do it and successfully rolled back to WMP9.

Looks like I was incorrect though, it is not WMP10 itself that was causing
the problem since it now persists with WMP9.

I have updated my video drivers again and am now getting ready to update my
audio drivers.

!