Audio but no Video with DVDs

While trying to watch DVDs on any program on my computer all I get is audio
and a black screen.

I don't know what info is needed to help find a solution but is available
upon request.

Any help is truly appreciated.
Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about audio video dvds

    Reinstall your DVD decoding software.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > While trying to watch DVDs on any program on my computer all I get is
    > audio
    > and a black screen.
    >
    > I don't know what info is needed to help find a solution but is available
    > upon request.
    >
    > Any help is truly appreciated.
    > Thanks

    What is DVD decoding software and how do I reinstall it?

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Reinstall your DVD decoding software.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > While trying to watch DVDs on any program on my computer all I get is
    > > audio
    > > and a black screen.
    > >
    > > I don't know what info is needed to help find a solution but is available
    > > upon request.
    > >
    > > Any help is truly appreciated.
    > > Thanks

    Read through Galen Bridgeman's article:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/bridgman02april15.mspx

    Usually PowerDVD or WinDVD come with your PC. DVD decoders are NOT included
    in Windows XP and must be purchased separately if the application did not
    come preinstalled on your PC.
    --

    > What is DVD decoding software and how do I reinstall it?
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Reinstall your DVD decoding software.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > While trying to watch DVDs on any program on my computer all I get is
    >> > audio
    >> > and a black screen.
    >> >
    >> > I don't know what info is needed to help find a solution but is
    >> > available
    >> > upon request.
    >> >
    >> > Any help is truly appreciated.
    >> > Thanks

    Cari;
    I have a similar problem in which my video worked fine under WMP9. When I
    upgraded to WMP10 it stopped working - only audio now.

    MS Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility states my "ArcSoft DVD Video"
    decoder "VideoDecoder.ax" version "1.8.1.4" is "not compatible with the
    synchronization feature of WMP10".

    I cannot downgrade back to WMP9, so am I basically stuck buying new encoder
    software?

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Read through Galen Bridgeman's article:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/bridgman02april15.mspx
    >
    > Usually PowerDVD or WinDVD come with your PC. DVD decoders are NOT included
    > in Windows XP and must be purchased separately if the application did not
    > come preinstalled on your PC.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > What is DVD decoding software and how do I reinstall it?
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Reinstall your DVD decoding software.
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> Printing & Imaging
    > >>

    > >> "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Check for updates from Arcsoft. Why can't you roll back WMP?

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Pissed" <Pissed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Cari;
    > I have a similar problem in which my video worked fine under WMP9. When I
    > upgraded to WMP10 it stopped working - only audio now.
    >
    > MS Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility states my "ArcSoft DVD Video"
    > decoder "VideoDecoder.ax" version "1.8.1.4" is "not compatible with the
    > synchronization feature of WMP10".
    >
    > I cannot downgrade back to WMP9, so am I basically stuck buying new
    > encoder
    > software?
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Read through Galen Bridgeman's article:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/bridgman02april15.mspx
    >>
    >> Usually PowerDVD or WinDVD come with your PC. DVD decoders are NOT
    >> included
    >> in Windows XP and must be purchased separately if the application did not
    >> come preinstalled on your PC.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > What is DVD decoding software and how do I reinstall it?

    WMP9 states that a newer version of WMP is installed and aborts the install.

    Using the XP disc to try and remove it through Add/Remove programs only
    removes shortcuts.

    Any attempted system restore prior to the installation of WMP10 cannot be
    completed.

    I haven't figured out any other ways.

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > Check for updates from Arcsoft. Why can't you roll back WMP?
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    >

    > "Pissed" <Pissed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Cari;
    > > I have a similar problem in which my video worked fine under WMP9. When I
    > > upgraded to WMP10 it stopped working - only audio now.
    > >
    > > MS Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility states my "ArcSoft DVD Video"
    > > decoder "VideoDecoder.ax" version "1.8.1.4" is "not compatible with the
    > > synchronization feature of WMP10".
    > >
    > > I cannot downgrade back to WMP9, so am I basically stuck buying new
    > > encoder
    > > software?
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Read through Galen Bridgeman's article:
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/bridgman02april15.mspx
    > >>
    > >> Usually PowerDVD or WinDVD come with your PC. DVD decoders are NOT
    > >> included
    > >> in Windows XP and must be purchased separately if the application did not
    > >> come preinstalled on your PC.
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> Printing & Imaging
    > >>

    > >> "elle" <elle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    From add/remove programmes, click on show updates and then wmp is shown as
    available to remove.

    --

    > WMP9 states that a newer version of WMP is installed and aborts the
    > install.
    >
    > Using the XP disc to try and remove it through Add/Remove programs only
    > removes shortcuts.
    >
    > Any attempted system restore prior to the installation of WMP10 cannot be
    > completed.
    >
    > I haven't figured out any other ways.
    >
    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    >> Check for updates from Arcsoft. Why can't you roll back WMP?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Graham Hughes
    >> MVP Digital Media
    >> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
    >> www.dvds2treasure.com
    >> www.simplydv.com
    >>

    >> "Pissed" <Pissed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Cari;
    >> > I have a similar problem in which my video worked fine under WMP9. When
    >> > upgraded to WMP10 it stopped working - only audio now.
    >> >
    >> > MS Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility states my "ArcSoft DVD
    >> > Video"
    >> > decoder "VideoDecoder.ax" version "1.8.1.4" is "not compatible with the
    >> > synchronization feature of WMP10".
    >> >
    >> > I cannot downgrade back to WMP9, so am I basically stuck buying new
    >> > encoder
    >> > software?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Yes, I did find the proper way to do it and successfully rolled back to WMP9.

    Looks like I was incorrect though, it is not WMP10 itself that was causing
    the problem since it now persists with WMP9.

    I have updated my video drivers again and am now getting ready to update my
    audio drivers.

Video Audio Microsoft Windows XP