Turn Off Audio Recording . . .

Is there any way to turn of the audio recording capability of any of these
Sony Camcorders?

I know on the higher end MiniDV units it could be accomplished by putting a
"dummy" plug in the external microphone jack. But the tape units below do
not have external microphone jacks.

Reason for this:

Doing surveillance work and picking up conversation of parties is illegal.
Covering the microphone with tape just gives you a lot of bump and bang
noise and muffled voices . . .

Digital8® Handycam® Camcorder
DCR-TRV260

Digital8® Handycam® Camcorder
DCR-TRV460

Hi8T Handycam® Camcorder
CCD-TRV128

Hi8T Handycam® Camcorder
CCD-TRV328

Any suggestions appreciated . . . .
Steve ( please e-mail any suggestions to steve_demars@cox.net

Rich

Many of the newer Sony's do not have external mic inputs thus you are stuck
with the live audio. I have one of the listed Camcorder's and there does
not appear to be a way of turning off the audio as you discribed. I did see
an article on the internet where a guy had descriptions and photos of how to
add an external mic input on a Sony. Basically cut the mic wires and added
a jack. Looks tight in there. I can not find the URL, thought I saved it.

Rich

"Steve DeMars" <steve_demars@cox.net> wrote in message
> Is there any way to turn of the audio recording capability of any of these
> Sony Camcorders?
>
> I know on the higher end MiniDV units it could be accomplished by putting
> "dummy" plug in the external microphone jack. But the tape units below do
> not have external microphone jacks.
>
> Reason for this:
>
> Doing surveillance work and picking up conversation of parties is illegal.
> Covering the microphone with tape just gives you a lot of bump and bang
> noise and muffled voices . . .
>

> Digital8® Handycam® Camcorder
> DCR-TRV260
>
> Digital8® Handycam® Camcorder
> DCR-TRV460
>
> Hi8T Handycam® Camcorder
> CCD-TRV128
>
> Hi8T Handycam® Camcorder
> CCD-TRV328
>
> Any suggestions appreciated . . . .
> Steve ( please e-mail any suggestions to steve_demars@cox.net

> "Steve DeMars" wrote ...
> > Is there any way to turn of the audio recording capability
> > of any of these Sony Camcorders?

"Rich" wrote ...
> Many of the newer Sony's do not have external mic inputs
> thus you are stuck with the live audio. I have one of the listed
> Camcorder's and there does not appear to be a way of turning
> off the audio as you discribed. I did see an article on the internet
> where a guy had descriptions and photos of how to add an external
> mic input on a Sony. Basically cut the mic wires and added a jack.
> Looks tight in there. I can not find the URL, thought I saved it.

Indeed the answer to Mr. DeMars' question is that absent a mic
jack, there is no way to disable the audio. Unless you want to make
some physical modification. This could be as simple (and permanently
destructive) as "poking out" the mic element(s). Or for the more
conservative and technically adept, adding a mic input jack which
would allow you to plug in a shorting plug to mute.

Ian

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:39:24 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>> "Steve DeMars" wrote ...
>> > Is there any way to turn of the audio recording capability
>> > of any of these Sony Camcorders?
>
>"Rich" wrote ...
>> Many of the newer Sony's do not have external mic inputs
>> thus you are stuck with the live audio. I have one of the listed
>> Camcorder's and there does not appear to be a way of turning
>> off the audio as you discribed. I did see an article on the internet
>> where a guy had descriptions and photos of how to add an external
>> mic input on a Sony. Basically cut the mic wires and added a jack.
>> Looks tight in there. I can not find the URL, thought I saved it.
>
>Indeed the answer to Mr. DeMars' question is that absent a mic
>jack, there is no way to disable the audio. Unless you want to make
>some physical modification. This could be as simple (and permanently
>destructive) as "poking out" the mic element(s). Or for the more
>conservative and technically adept, adding a mic input jack which
>would allow you to plug in a shorting plug to mute.

Some of the Sonys do have a manual level control for the audio,
setting that to zero would do what you want. I am not familiar enough
with these models to know if they have a manual audio level control.

Ian