XP SP2 AVC problem with Firestore

I have a FireStore FS-1 direct-to-disk device. When I connect it to my
Windows NT system I have no problem using it to record video from the
computer or sending video to the FS-1 via the firewire connection. When I
try connecting it to my XP SP2 system it does neither. It is recognized
under Imaging devices as "AVC Compliant DV Camcorder". When I try to print
to tape from Avid or Vegas Video, it goes from STOP to RECORD PAUSE to
RECORD but the time counter doesn't increment. When I try to capture from
it using Scenalyzer, it plays the file but Scenalyzer displays "ScLive has
not received any video from the driver. Close any other program that uses
this capturing device." The FS-1 is obviously receiving the AVC commands
properly but something's preventing the video from getting into or out of
it. This same XP SP2 machine has worked flawlessly with every camcorder
I've connected it to. Any suggestions?

Tom,

From what I have read on the firestore, which I found an interesting
product, it should be recognised just as another hard disc, so you should
see it using a drive loetter in explorer and the drag and drop the files to
whereever you want, or import them to the editing app just as if it was an
external hard drive.
I was under the impression it was treated as a hard drive and not an imaging
device, so you should save the movie file and just choose the firestore as
the location and not be printing to tape.
Otherwise, how are you finding the product?
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Tom Clark" <e_t_REMOVETHISclark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a FireStore FS-1 direct-to-disk device. When I connect it to my
> Windows NT system I have no problem using it to record video from the
> computer or sending video to the FS-1 via the firewire connection. When I
> try connecting it to my XP SP2 system it does neither. It is recognized
> under Imaging devices as "AVC Compliant DV Camcorder". When I try to print
> to tape from Avid or Vegas Video, it goes from STOP to RECORD PAUSE to
> RECORD but the time counter doesn't increment. When I try to capture from
> it using Scenalyzer, it plays the file but Scenalyzer displays "ScLive has
> not received any video from the driver. Close any other program that uses
> this capturing device." The FS-1 is obviously receiving the AVC commands
> properly but something's preventing the video from getting into or out of
> it. This same XP SP2 machine has worked flawlessly with every camcorder
> I've connected it to. Any suggestions?

You are right that in can be used as just another hard disk, but one of
the reasons I bought it was to deal with a flaw in the way Avid creates
Quicktime reference files which I use to encode with Cinemacraft to create
DVDs. This flaw has been talked about on the discussion forums on Avid's
website. Most people work around this problem by writing to tape, capturing
it back with Scenalyzer and then encoding the video. I saw the FS-1 as a
way to save wear and tear on my VTR by writing to the FS-1 instead, and to
save time by not having to write to tape and then capture it back in real
time. If Avid ran on NT it would solve my problem, but then life is never
that easy, is it?

Other than this one big problem it's a nice little gadget. I'm thinking
about getting into video depositions and a 40GB disk will give me about
three hours of video which is a whole lot better than a having to swap out
tapes every hour. The FS-4 is a lot more compact and can be attached to the
camcorder, but I chose the FS-1 because it was offered at Videoguys for
about $500 less than I'd seen it anywhere else and I don't need the
improved portability of the FS-4.

Tom