Kodak 6940 and dissapointment continues...

Well got my wife a 6490 for her b-day back in June.

Her dissapointment in this camera just continues.
She's not the only one.

She has a BA in Photography so shes not a novice.
But she barely touches this camera anymore and when
she does, absolute dissapointment. Almost every shot
she takes is blurred, no matter if its moving or not.
I find myself getting about 50/50 on it , 1/2 pictures
are good other half are bad. So unfortunate considering
my old Kodak 3200 takes way better pictures than this thing
does and I thought I was getting a better camera.

We are off to a trip in Feb to Orlando and my wife has stated she will
take her 35 mm because she doesn't want to ruin her pictures.

Alot of the pictures you can't tell are blurred until we check them
out on our computer.

Anyone else have this experience with this camera? Do I have a dud?
Or is this typical of this camera?

Thanks
14 answers Last reply
More about kodak 6940 dissapointment continues

    Are you certain that you are allowing sufficient time for the camera to
    focus before pressing the take-the-picture button? Pressing that button
    about half-way down focusses the shot and fixes the focus. Then pressing
    down all the way takes that focussed shot. I find that it is not always
    obvious precisely when the shot is focussed before the shot is taken.

    "Jason" <dolphans1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Well got my wife a 6490 for her b-day back in June.
    >
    > Her dissapointment in this camera just continues.
    > She's not the only one.
    >
    > She has a BA in Photography so shes not a novice.
    > But she barely touches this camera anymore and when
    > she does, absolute dissapointment. Almost every shot
    > she takes is blurred, no matter if its moving or not.
    > I find myself getting about 50/50 on it , 1/2 pictures
    > are good other half are bad. So unfortunate considering
    > my old Kodak 3200 takes way better pictures than this thing
    > does and I thought I was getting a better camera.
    >
    > We are off to a trip in Feb to Orlando and my wife has stated she will
    > take her 35 mm because she doesn't want to ruin her pictures.
    >
    > Alot of the pictures you can't tell are blurred until we check them
    > out on our computer.
    >
    > Anyone else have this experience with this camera? Do I have a dud?
    > Or is this typical of this camera?
    >
    > Thanks

    Yeah its strange I've tried everything. Waited for focus to come into
    play.

    > Yeah its strange I've tried everything. Waited for focus to come into
    > play.

    I've had a DX6490 since February, not had the probelms with blurred images
    that your wife has had, so it may well be that she has a defective camera.

    Kline

    > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:12:23 -0500, "jrodgers" <xjrodgers@.umich.umx>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Are you certain that you are allowing sufficient time for the camera to
    >>focus before pressing the take-the-picture button? Pressing that button
    >>about half-way down focusses the shot and fixes the focus. Then pressing
    >>down all the way takes that focussed shot. I find that it is not always
    >>obvious precisely when the shot is focussed before the shot is taken.
    >>

    >>"Jason" <dolphans1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Well got my wife a 6490 for her b-day back in June.
    >>>
    >>> Her dissapointment in this camera just continues.
    >>> She's not the only one.
    >>>
    >>> She has a BA in Photography so shes not a novice.
    >>> But she barely touches this camera anymore and when
    >>> she does, absolute dissapointment. Almost every shot
    >>> she takes is blurred, no matter if its moving or not.
    >>> I find myself getting about 50/50 on it , 1/2 pictures
    >>> are good other half are bad. So unfortunate considering
    >>> my old Kodak 3200 takes way better pictures than this thing
    >>> does and I thought I was getting a better camera.
    >>>
    >>> We are off to a trip in Feb to Orlando and my wife has stated she will
    >>> take her 35 mm because she doesn't want to ruin her pictures.
    >>>
    >>> Alot of the pictures you can't tell are blurred until we check them
    >>> out on our computer.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else have this experience with this camera? Do I have a dud?
    >>> Or is this typical of this camera?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    Guess I will try to send it back. Been a mess since we got it.
    See what Kodak can do for us :)

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:20:41 GMT, "kline"
    <coma_ellipse@noospaamyahoo.com> wrote:

    >"Jason" <dolphans1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Yeah its strange I've tried everything. Waited for focus to come into
    >> play.
    >>

    >I've had a DX6490 since February, not had the probelms with blurred images
    >that your wife has had, so it may well be that she has a defective camera.
    >
    >Kline
    >

    >> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:12:23 -0500, "jrodgers" <xjrodgers@.umich.umx>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Are you certain that you are allowing sufficient time for the camera to
    >>>focus before pressing the take-the-picture button? Pressing that button
    >>>about half-way down focusses the shot and fixes the focus. Then pressing
    >>>down all the way takes that focussed shot. I find that it is not always
    >>>obvious precisely when the shot is focussed before the shot is taken.
    >>>

    >>>"Jason" <dolphans1@yahoo.com> wrote in message

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    1. Check the camera settings. It's possible that something is set in such a
    way that the exposure time is too long for a hand held shot, or forcing the
    camera to a wide open F stop setting..

    2. It's also quite possible that the autofocus is not working properly.

    3. Point and shoot boxes such as many of the 3.2M pixel and below seem to
    have less of a focus problem than the higher resolution cameras.

    > Guess I will try to send it back. Been a mess since we got it.
    > See what Kodak can do for us :)
    >

    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:20:41 GMT, "kline"
    > <coma_ellipse@noospaamyahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"Jason" <dolphans1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Yeah its strange I've tried everything. Waited for focus to come into
    >>> play.
    >>>

    >>I've had a DX6490 since February, not had the probelms with blurred images
    >>that your wife has had, so it may well be that she has a defective camera.
    >>
    >>Kline

    ---
    Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Hi Jason,

    Not typical at all!

    I am glad to help your wife get her camera working the way it should. One
    thing to keep in mind, that I am sure you wife will understand as a trained
    professional, is taking the time to actuate the shutter correctly. A digital
    camera needs to clear the CCD before it actuates the shutter, so it takes a
    split second longer in composition than with traditional cameras. Many
    photographers had a hard time with that situation when transitioning to
    digital. The shutter and aperture etc. perform similarly but the prep of
    the CCD took a quarter to a half second longer. See if your wife can hold
    composition for just a little longer to see if the results improve.

    You can test the camera by finding a subject inside the flash range and
    placing the camera on a support, i.e. table, chair, or the like, and setting
    the camera on it. Take a picture normally holding the camera then set the
    camera on the support and take a picture. See if the results improve. Try
    this outside in sunlight as well.

    Also, make sure you have set the camera to its defaults as it remembers what
    you used before. If your wife set the camera to specific settings that are
    remaining, they may be incorrect for the shots she is taking now.

    If none of these make a difference, and the results are still blurry, let me
    know and I will try to help you further. The camera is capable of great
    images and I want to be sure you get the full benefit of the camera.

    Talk to you soon, Jason,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    "Jason" <dolphans1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Well got my wife a 6490 for her b-day back in June.
    >
    > Her dissapointment in this camera just continues.
    > She's not the only one.
    >
    > She has a BA in Photography so shes not a novice.
    > But she barely touches this camera anymore and when
    > she does, absolute dissapointment. Almost every shot
    > she takes is blurred, no matter if its moving or not.
    > I find myself getting about 50/50 on it , 1/2 pictures
    > are good other half are bad. So unfortunate considering
    > my old Kodak 3200 takes way better pictures than this thing
    > does and I thought I was getting a better camera.
    >
    > We are off to a trip in Feb to Orlando and my wife has stated she will
    > take her 35 mm because she doesn't want to ruin her pictures.
    >
    > Alot of the pictures you can't tell are blurred until we check them
    > out on our computer.
    >
    > Anyone else have this experience with this camera? Do I have a dud?
    > Or is this typical of this camera?
    >
    > Thanks
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:20:41 GMT, "kline"
    <coma_ellipse@noospaamyahoo.com> wrote:

    >"Jason" <dolphans1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Yeah its strange I've tried everything. Waited for focus to come into
    >> play.
    >>

    >I've had a DX6490 since February, not had the probelms with blurred images
    >that your wife has had, so it may well be that she has a defective camera.
    >
    >Kline

    ===========
    Mine is fine too. I have gotten some really remarkable telephoto
    shots while hand holding the camera. I also own a D70 but take the
    Kodak with me when out hiking or otherwise want a smaller, handier
    camera available for surprise photo opportunities.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 17:09:30 -0500, R. Makul <k1xv@arrl.net> wrote:

    And as you already know... the more you use the telephoto, the more
    necessary it to steady the camera against something to prevent shake
    and fuzzy pics'.
    >On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:20:41 GMT, "kline"
    ><coma_ellipse@noospaamyahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"Jason" <dolphans1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Yeah its strange I've tried everything. Waited for focus to come into
    >>> play.
    >>>

    >>I've had a DX6490 since February, not had the probelms with blurred images
    >>that your wife has had, so it may well be that she has a defective camera.
    >>
    >>Kline
    >>
    >===========
    >Mine is fine too. I have gotten some really remarkable telephoto
    >shots while hand holding the camera. I also own a D70 but take the
    >Kodak with me when out hiking or otherwise want a smaller, handier
    >camera available for surprise photo opportunities.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    I have both a Minolta Dimage S414 and a Kodak DX6490 that I received for
    Christmas. I am having similar problems to your wife. My shots are not
    totally blurred but in many cases I get greater detail in my S414 shots.
    The DX6490 takes good pictures but things of fine detail such as the texture
    on clothes or the hair on my brother's head gets a blurred look to it where
    when I shoot the same shots on the Dimage S414, I get every bit of detail I
    want. It is still better than a point and shoot film camera but after
    shooting on a 150 dollar s414 as opposed to the 300 dollar DX6490 and
    getting better detail, it is rather disappointing.

    The DX6490 has all sorts of features, great natural colors, a 10x optical
    zoom on a great lens, an excellent popup flash along with a nice zoom macro
    feature so it's a real shame this camera has such a flaw. Even more of a
    shame is the reason for the flaw.

    Kodak has designed an ultra high level of compression into the firmware of
    the camera to save space on the memory card. Even on fine detail, a large
    level of JPEG compression is being performed and there is no way to shoot
    in RAW mode or to go to a higher quality. It would have been nice if Kodak
    gave us a choice on our Jpeg compression. I am still waiting for camera
    companies to do like graphics software programs and allow us to choose from
    around 100% quality to 20% with 100% being very low compression but high
    quality.

    please petition Kodak to release a firmware update that gives us an option
    for less compression. I am confident that if this camera had a good firmware
    it would do much better.
    "Jason" <dolphans1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Well got my wife a 6490 for her b-day back in June.
    >
    > Her dissapointment in this camera just continues.
    > She's not the only one.
    >
    > She has a BA in Photography so shes not a novice.
    > But she barely touches this camera anymore and when
    > she does, absolute dissapointment. Almost every shot
    > she takes is blurred, no matter if its moving or not.
    > I find myself getting about 50/50 on it , 1/2 pictures
    > are good other half are bad. So unfortunate considering
    > my old Kodak 3200 takes way better pictures than this thing
    > does and I thought I was getting a better camera.
    >
    > We are off to a trip in Feb to Orlando and my wife has stated she will
    > take her 35 mm because she doesn't want to ruin her pictures.
    >
    > Alot of the pictures you can't tell are blurred until we check them
    > out on our computer.
    >
    > Anyone else have this experience with this camera? Do I have a dud?
    > Or is this typical of this camera?
    >
    > Thanks
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Ron Baird, It is very good to hear from you. I was wondering, is there any
    way to get rid of the aggressive compression that shows itself in best mode?
    I am happy with the features of my DX6490 (And man does it have a lot of
    cool features). On portrait shots or anything with a lot of detail though,
    the shots appear smudged or blurred on areas of high detail. It seems to be
    compression artifacts (The file sizes are about a third of maximum quality
    on my s414). Is there a quality higher than the current best? My Minolta
    Dimage S414 tends to capture higher detail in side by side comparison,
    especially on hair and skin tones.

    I love shooting zoom macro and long range telephoto shots with my new camera
    but this flaw reallly hurts what is a great camera. Fortunately this problem
    should be fixable with a firmware upgrade. I hope Kodak is working on one
    soon.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:21:06 -0500, "Test" <Test@test.com> wrote:

    >Ron Baird, It is very good to hear from you. I was wondering, is there any
    >way to get rid of the aggressive compression that shows itself in best mode?
    >I am happy with the features of my DX6490 (And man does it have a lot of
    >cool features). On portrait shots or anything with a lot of detail though,
    >the shots appear smudged or blurred on areas of high detail. It seems to be
    >compression artifacts (The file sizes are about a third of maximum quality
    >on my s414). Is there a quality higher than the current best? My Minolta
    >Dimage S414 tends to capture higher detail in side by side comparison,
    >especially on hair and skin tones.
    >
    >I love shooting zoom macro and long range telephoto shots with my new camera
    >but this flaw reallly hurts what is a great camera. Fortunately this problem
    >should be fixable with a firmware upgrade. I hope Kodak is working on one
    >soon.

    This was also (one of) the deciding points when I bought my first
    digital camera; memory was relatively cheap - and even more so now!
    so if you get 50 or 65 onto a memory card was of less concern than
    the the quality of the data you'd get from the camera. In the
    digicams from Kodak I felt the data was too compressed and the
    "softer" Canon alternative was the way to go for me.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Greetings Test,

    I understand your experience and disappointment about compression. The
    condition you note is not pervasive in most images, and you should be able
    to get some pretty good results from your camera in the Best setting. The
    compression that is used for your camera is the result of a great deal of
    work to make the greatest number of people pleased with their cameras. For a
    great many people the camera performs exceedingly well.

    If you take your camera outside in the sun and set it on a solid support,
    tripod if you have one. Focus on a subject that you believe is not all that
    you expected in a previous picture. For this test, make sure your subject
    is well lit and not in subdued light. Take several pictures within the
    optical zoom range. Use the flash to add additional light to the subject for
    shots taken inside the flash range. Or, use an external flash. You can use
    the optional manual settings if you like.

    Essentially, optimize your exposures. Review them to see if you can see an
    improvement. Let me know your result and send along if you want a review.

    Talk to you soon, Test,

    Best regards,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    "Test" <Test@test.com> wrote in message news:iyBPd.9145$5t7.7549@fe06.lga...
    > Ron Baird, It is very good to hear from you. I was wondering, is there
    any
    > way to get rid of the aggressive compression that shows itself in best
    mode?
    > I am happy with the features of my DX6490 (And man does it have a lot of
    > cool features). On portrait shots or anything with a lot of detail though,
    > the shots appear smudged or blurred on areas of high detail. It seems to
    be
    > compression artifacts (The file sizes are about a third of maximum quality
    > on my s414). Is there a quality higher than the current best? My Minolta
    > Dimage S414 tends to capture higher detail in side by side comparison,
    > especially on hair and skin tones.
    >
    > I love shooting zoom macro and long range telephoto shots with my new
    camera
    > but this flaw reallly hurts what is a great camera. Fortunately this
    problem
    > should be fixable with a firmware upgrade. I hope Kodak is working on one
    > soon.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Just a quick addition - I also note that some folk are way too quick to
    move the camera `after` the shot, and in fact they have moved the
    camera during the exposure by being too eager.. It should be easy to
    run some tests and determine where the problem lies - also,
    out-of-focus looks quite different to motion blur - motion blur has a
    streaked, directional quality that is easy to pick with experience.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Rolf Egil Sølvik <rolfegil@c2i.net> wrote in

    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:21:06 -0500, "Test" <Test@test.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Ron Baird, It is very good to hear from you. I was wondering, is
    >>there any way to get rid of the aggressive compression that shows
    >>itself in best mode? I am happy with the features of my DX6490 (And
    >>man does it have a lot of cool features). On portrait shots or
    >>anything with a lot of detail though, the shots appear smudged or
    >>blurred on areas of high detail. It seems to be compression artifacts
    >>(The file sizes are about a third of maximum quality on my s414). Is
    >>there a quality higher than the current best? My Minolta Dimage S414
    >>tends to capture higher detail in side by side comparison, especially
    >>on hair and skin tones.
    >>
    >>I love shooting zoom macro and long range telephoto shots with my new
    >>camera but this flaw reallly hurts what is a great camera. Fortunately
    >>this problem should be fixable with a firmware upgrade. I hope Kodak
    >>is working on one soon.
    >
    > This was also (one of) the deciding points when I bought my first
    > digital camera; memory was relatively cheap - and even more so now!
    > so if you get 50 or 65 onto a memory card was of less concern than
    > the the quality of the data you'd get from the camera. In the
    > digicams from Kodak I felt the data was too compressed and the
    > "softer" Canon alternative was the way to go for me.

    Same here. I was close to buying a Kodak and then read a lot about the overly
    compressed images. I went with another brand. I think Kodak are shooting themselves in
    the foot with their compression level. Then again, maybe it's a brilliant marketing
    move. Either way, they lost me.

    Being new to digital cameras, I was surprised that they don't have adjustable
    compression levels (at least the ones I looked at im my price range didn't).

Cameras Kodak Peripherals