Windows and Pocket PC dev environment?

May 18, 2004 9:04:58 PM

I have an application that has been developped in Bordland C++ 5.0 and that
runs under Windows.
I would like to use a development environment that allows me to compile both
the windows executable AND a pocket PC executable.

What is the best development environment for such a task?

Thanks
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 12:51:55 AM

Visual Studio .NET

Frank J. Garcia (Ctitanic)
www.pc-counselor.com
Home of Tweaks2k2
(From my h2215)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Luc" <abc@net.com>
Sent: Tue, 18 May 2004 17:04:58 -0400
Subject: Windows and Pocket PC dev environment?

I have an application that has been developped in Bordland C++ 5.0 and that
runs under Windows.
I would like to use a development environment that allows me to compile both
the windows executable AND a pocket PC executable.

What is the best development environment for such a task?

Thanks
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 3:26:19 AM

"Luc" <abc@net.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> What is the best development environment for such a task?

hi,
i prefer Visual Studio 7.1/Entpr. by Microsoft. It has a powerfull IDE, a
cuple of emulators
(WindowsCE, smartdevices, pocketPC2003 and pocketPC202, and, and).
Visual Studio, has make the job since 2 years, and it works fine
Pleas Check the microsoft.sites and search for pocketPc, you will find a lot
of code, a lot of
free Sorftware, like SQL Server for CE, SDK and so on
sorry for my poor english
Bye
Rainer
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 9:09:04 PM

Similar questions are asked fairly often (maybe once/week), so google
would be a great source of info. However, finding a good search string
is tricky because of the nearly infinite ways folks ask the question.

Fortunately, "newbie" is a useful term in this context. In particular,
I recommend using google
(http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to look up
newbie
in microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer
You will get many links with varied views and suggestions.

Several companies besides Microsoft make developer tools for Windows
CE, but I don't think they are appropriate for big projects. The usual
choices for a C/C++ programmer are
a) Visual Studio.NET with the CompactFramework
b) eMbedded Visual C (eVC)

Which you choose should depend partly on how much code you want to
reuse from Borland. If Borland supports .NET and you have used that,
then choice (a) may be good. If Borland does not support .NET, you
might want to try eVC to see how much code you can share between
Borland (for "big" Windows) and eVC. eVC is available for free.

I actually use Visual C 5 to develop for "big" Windows and eVC to
develop for Windows CE, and use the same source code (with a few
#ifdefs) for both.

On Tue, 18 May 2004 17:04:58 -0400, "Luc" <abc@net.com> wrote:

>I have an application that has been developped in Bordland C++ 5.0 and that
>runs under Windows.
>I would like to use a development environment that allows me to compile both
>the windows executable AND a pocket PC executable.
>
>What is the best development environment for such a task?
>
>Thanks

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R