DROPPED from network INTEL PROSet and XP Linksys

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 24, 2004 6:35:01 PM

Suddenly I'm disconnected after 2 months of flawless use. I don't know if my
linksys router went down on the wireless end.

I have been using my Intel [R] PROSet Wireless LAN 2100 3B MiniPCI Adapter.

I suddenly lost connection this afternoon and my wireless network and Intel
proset are both canceled with redlines showing unavailable. I open the CP
for Intel and signal quality show Radio Off and I cannot swtich it on. It
will not let me scan for networks or available networks. It is greyed out.
In My network Connections Control Panel my network preferred networks box
shows HomeWireless as unavailable, and sometimes hitting refresh will cause
it to look like it has a signal, but it will not appear in the available
networks box. Nothing is showing in the available networks box of Wireless
Connection properties {Windows XP) .

However, I believe that my Mac is able to connect to the linksys although
the signal strength is only 2 bars at 4 feet from the router. The laptop XP
is 6 feet away.

Does this sound like an XP problem or a linksys one? I've rebooted the
linksys to no avail.
Jeff
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
Web Design and Marketing
http://www.PetersonSales.com

Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 12:21:43 AM

Did I understood your situation correctly -
When you open the Proset configuration from Control panel,
the radio ON/OFF control is OFF and greyed so you can't switch it ON?

(by the way: your adapter is Intel 2100 3B. PROSet is the name of the Intel's config utility,
and there are several versions of it, with "adapter switch" and without.
Linksys is your Access point or router (which model?) and XP is Windows :)

--PA

"Jefferis NoSpamme" <jefferisp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:BD79E115.2BDE%jefferisp7@hotmail.com...
> Suddenly I'm disconnected after 2 months of flawless use. I don't know if my
> linksys router went down on the wireless end.
>
> I have been using my Intel [R] PROSet Wireless LAN 2100 3B MiniPCI Adapter.
>
> I suddenly lost connection this afternoon and my wireless network and Intel
> proset are both canceled with redlines showing unavailable. I open the CP
> for Intel and signal quality show Radio Off and I cannot swtich it on. It
> will not let me scan for networks or available networks. It is greyed out.
> In My network Connections Control Panel my network preferred networks box
> shows HomeWireless as unavailable, and sometimes hitting refresh will cause
> it to look like it has a signal, but it will not appear in the available
> networks box. Nothing is showing in the available networks box of Wireless
> Connection properties {Windows XP) .
>
> However, I believe that my Mac is able to connect to the linksys although
> the signal strength is only 2 bars at 4 feet from the router. The laptop XP
> is 6 feet away.
>
> Does this sound like an XP problem or a linksys one? I've rebooted the
> linksys to no avail.
> Jeff
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
> Web Design and Marketing
> http://www.PetersonSales.com
>

> Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.

Anonymous
September 26, 2004 3:53:15 AM

Pavel A. wrote:
> Did I understood your situation correctly -
> When you open the Proset configuration from Control panel,
> the radio ON/OFF control is OFF and greyed so you can't switch it ON?
>
> (by the way: your adapter is Intel 2100 3B. PROSet is the name of the
> Intel's config utility,
> and there are several versions of it, with "adapter switch" and
> without.
> Linksys is your Access point or router (which model?) and XP is
> Windows :)
>
> --PA
>

> "Jefferis NoSpamme" <jefferisp7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Suddenly I'm disconnected after 2 months of flawless use. I don't
>> know if my linksys router went down on the wireless end.
>>
>> I have been using my Intel [R] PROSet Wireless LAN 2100 3B MiniPCI
>> Adapter.
>>
>> I suddenly lost connection this afternoon and my wireless network
>> and Intel proset are both canceled with redlines showing
>> unavailable. I open the CP for Intel and signal quality show Radio
>> Off and I cannot swtich it on. It will not let me scan for networks
>> or available networks. It is greyed out. In My network Connections
>> Control Panel my network preferred networks box shows HomeWireless
>> as unavailable, and sometimes hitting refresh will cause it to look
>> like it has a signal, but it will not appear in the available
>> networks box. Nothing is showing in the available networks box of
>> Wireless Connection properties {Windows XP) .
>>
>> However, I believe that my Mac is able to connect to the linksys
>> although the signal strength is only 2 bars at 4 feet from the
>> router. The laptop XP is 6 feet away.
>>
>> Does this sound like an XP problem or a linksys one? I've rebooted
>> the linksys to no avail.
>> Jeff
>> Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
>> Web Design and Marketing
>> http://www.PetersonSales.com
>>

>> Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.

Some notebooks have a physical radio switch somewhere on the case.

September 26, 2004 6:59:03 PM

I had the same problem and I went into safe mode and remove the network card
and restarted, that seemed to clear it up for me.

!