Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Wha? EA Selling Virtual Car for $100 in NFS World

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
December 18, 2011 2:19:34 AM

How long before it's available on torrent sites? My guess soon!
December 18, 2011 2:21:17 AM

*facepalm*
December 18, 2011 2:28:17 AM

So does this car drive any faster or make me race any better? That's all I care about
December 18, 2011 2:32:17 AM

I want one......
December 18, 2011 3:03:24 AM

this is sad, really sad
December 18, 2011 3:09:19 AM

sheath"he was $5.9K richer"Dude raked it in, he made $5,900! lol

Thats a typo, they said it sold for 6M which means he made $5.9 Million... that's pretty sweet profits.
December 18, 2011 3:10:56 AM

i don't want to live on this planet anymore
December 18, 2011 3:22:29 AM

I own Gran Turismo 5. I don't need another racing game. Especially one put out by EA. They lost favor with me when I bought a game from their site they no longer support online.
December 18, 2011 3:51:09 AM

EA killing all the fans of C&C, Simcity, The Sims since the ruin the original developer West Wood, Maxis......
December 18, 2011 3:51:19 AM

Wonder if it's possible to do that in Minecraft (make something and sell it), hmm...
December 18, 2011 4:38:33 AM

This(is not micro) and micro transactions in general ruin games IMO. Many people do not actually realize they are spending more then the monthly fee for a game on a "free to play" game with micro transactions.

And EA, come on. Look at there Sims games. 40 bucks to add pets? for real? Want to play night life? $40. Those should be at most $5-10 DLC.

In other news. Sim City gets nuclear melt down dlc...only $40. Damn you EA, targeting me unfairly....
December 18, 2011 4:55:29 AM

week old news -
December 18, 2011 5:25:26 AM

Didn't Team Fortress 2 did the same thing with the Magnanimous Monarch hat which was also $100 and supported the Relief Effort during the Japan Earth Quake?
It's like those Armstrong Bracelets or those pieces of papers hanging in the Super Market when you donate.
I got the other two hats and the other two Noise Makers though, I donated $30.
Even though your not directly helping, and you won't see your dollars actually doing something, knowing that it did something good in the end is something that I'm for.

Though $100 or even $75 for a single in game item, that doesn't really give you anything, except something to enjoy your self with, seems like a retarded purchase.
December 18, 2011 6:53:21 AM

nukemasterThis(is not micro) and micro transactions in general ruin games IMO. Many people do not actually realize they are spending more then the monthly fee for a game on a "free to play" game with micro transactions.And EA, come on. Look at there Sims games. 40 bucks to add pets? for real? Want to play night life? $40. Those should be at most $5-10 DLC.In other news. Sim City gets nuclear melt down dlc...only $40. Damn you EA, targeting me unfairly....

hay if sim city ever comes back... id be glad they actually support it, even if it screws people over, ij ust buy main game and a delux pack.
December 18, 2011 12:11:26 PM

Looks like they have found a good business model, free to play and their will always be stupid pawns willing to spend their cash on this stuff.
December 18, 2011 12:51:47 PM

The whole virtual items thing just seems embarassing.....who admits to spending money on.....nothing
Anonymous
December 18, 2011 1:20:12 PM

The asteroid sold for around 600 000 USD not 6M USD but still a nice profit of 500 000 USD for him and he has made alot more than that in the years he has owned it also.
December 18, 2011 1:59:54 PM

@Inferno1217

I guess this gives a bit more meaning to the phrase "You wouldn't download a car", then.
Anonymous
December 18, 2011 2:01:24 PM

Wow.... You are almost completely wrong on all your facts about Entropia. The virtual asteroid was sold for $600k, not $6m. NEVERDIE purchased the asteroid for $100k. He then made around $100k a year off it, until he sold it for $600k. So $5.9k richer is a slight understatement...
December 18, 2011 4:26:21 PM

This type of model will bring nothing but sorrow to people who employ it. Pure greed is fueling this "pay to win" schemes, and it is not pushing away people who don't pay at all, but it's pushing away people who pay some moderate sums and those are people off who developers earn money with this type of business model.
December 18, 2011 4:51:37 PM

jetjlDidn't Team Fortress 2 did the same thing with the Magnanimous Monarch hat which was also $100 and supported the Relief Effort during the Japan Earth Quake?It's like those Armstrong Bracelets or those pieces of papers hanging in the Super Market when you donate.I got the other two hats and the other two Noise Makers though, I donated $30. Even though your not directly helping, and you won't see your dollars actually doing something, knowing that it did something good in the end is something that I'm for. Though $100 or even $75 for a single in game item, that doesn't really give you anything, except something to enjoy your self with, seems like a retarded purchase.

Yea but every penny of that went to help with the relief of the Japanese Tsunami victims. This just goes into EAs pockets. Everything else in TF2 is pretty low in price and the majority of new items are made by players who get a part of the profit.

I doubt EA will ever do that. Whatever they can to make money is what they will do.
Anonymous
December 18, 2011 5:07:22 PM

Jon Jacobs sold his resort on Planet Calypso for $635,000, NOT 6M.
December 18, 2011 5:39:01 PM

richboyliangSo does this car drive any faster or make me race any better? That's all I care about

He paid $6M ( or $635000 according to factcheckerz) for a virtual resort? If he has that much money to spend on this crap, why doesn't he consider helping the poor people in this world?
December 18, 2011 6:13:23 PM

I would like to point you all to and the pay to compete business model they run. In World of Tanks (their only title at the moment) its not unusual to see people running around in 50$ tanks with up to 8 a battle regularly. This doesn't include the fact you actually have to spend 60$ to get the tank because they only offer gold in bundle up to but just under what you need to buy the tank. Everything in that game can be bought without playing, EA is just now catching on that people will dump hundred upon hundreds of dollars just to compete with other people that will dump hundred's of dollars.
December 18, 2011 6:18:49 PM

Seriously? It so happens I play this game fairly often. Yeah, I know EA's idea is that I'll pay to get extra things in the game like the ability to own two cars that I'd otherwise earn by moving up in the game over time, but the truth is that I haven't spent a cent on it, and likely never will.
December 18, 2011 7:46:25 PM

Everyone always whines about the F2P cash shop model, but they seem to miss one thing, you don't have to buy anything. You can go about playing a product that cost thousands of hours of work and pay absolutely nothing, and still get a decent experience. The problem arises from being human, people want to get the best possible or compete and thus feel a need to buy these pay items in order to keep up, despite there being no real necessity.

In the real world though, people expect to be paid to work, just like you do, so the company has to make money to pay employees and server fees. Spoiled little rich kids are not only paying for their game, but yours as well. Next time you see someone decked out in premium gear or a car, or even an asteroid that cost ridiculous sums of money, thank them for keeping the servers alive. Games that are truly "free to play" fail, because you can't put out a quality product for free. Someone has to pay the price, and you don't want to be the one.

Balance between premium and free content however is very important, so I'm sure EA is still screwing it up somehow.
December 18, 2011 8:52:53 PM

lostmyclanthat why i download the pirate version of game

Are you stupid? This is a free game. No such pirated verison.

This doesnt suprise me but I did enjoy playing this NFS. Its actually a enjoyable F2P game
December 19, 2011 1:00:44 AM

As long as Black Box is still behind NFS-World, I won't go back.

Just let Criterion take over the NFS franchise! And let'em continue to merge Burnout and NFS back together.

Cheers!
Anonymous
December 19, 2011 3:21:25 AM

The asteroid you are referring to in Entropia Universe sold for 6 million project entropia dollars (PED). That translates to approximately $600,000 USD. ... Still, a tidy profit for Neverdie. All the same, the facts are, indeed, NOT factual.
December 19, 2011 10:51:14 AM

# "It's a fool's game" #

Not to mention a heartache..
December 19, 2011 11:47:04 AM

Inferno1217How long before it's available on torrent sites? My guess soon!

I really hope you're joking....
December 19, 2011 11:48:38 AM

No one have to buy ANYTHING to play this game. The game itself is free too. You can do almost anything you want and not pay a SINGLE penny. It's up to you if you want to buy a $1 item or nothing.
December 19, 2011 12:03:46 PM

sonofliberty08EA killing all the fans of C&C, Simcity, The Sims since the ruin the original developer West Wood, Maxis......

3 games that might interest you: Anno 2070, Cities XL, and Generals2.
December 19, 2011 12:13:36 PM

We had this conversation before. I'll say the same thing: "free to play" is a gross overestimation. It's more like "free to play, but pay to win", and it'll cost you far more than any disc-based game.

You used to be able to buy a game like Unreal Tournament, which would come with about 2 dozen multiplayer maps, and you could download lots of additional maps for free - even sanctioned and released by the devs themselves. Blame the console companies and their game devs for charging $30 for 4 map DLC's (and Microsoft for charging for online play).

And now you have these stupid time-based "pay to win" games like Farmville and such, which are just retarded. You have to pay to pass the time....!!!! Marketing genius makes for idiotic gameplay and dull games. Blame Apple and Zynga for this.

December 19, 2011 12:22:56 PM

sonofliberty08EA killing all the fans of C&C, Simcity, The Sims since the ruin the original developer West Wood, Maxis......

You said it! They really did ruin the games we used to love. Damn you EA!

West Wood needs to be reborn!
December 19, 2011 1:03:24 PM

Whats the problem ? There is like site that sell virtual gold in world of warcraft and item and i should stop there if you look around apple store and there app ! Good think is that rich people buy it and poor people download torrent/ jailbreak
December 19, 2011 2:20:39 PM

just downloaded NFS World, now I have to go home and uninstall it.
December 19, 2011 2:34:10 PM

I feel sorry for everyone spending fortunes on MMO.
December 19, 2011 2:57:55 PM

richboyliangSo does this car drive any faster or make me race any better? That's all I care about

The car travels at 1,000 mph in the game, is crash proof, and can go through any obstetrical without damage or collision. Welcome to pay to win.
Anonymous
December 19, 2011 3:31:19 PM

all the facts about the amount club neverdie sold for are wrong it was 6 million peds not dollars, which equates to around 600k usd
December 19, 2011 4:24:38 PM

This is the result of consumers buying mass amounts of junk DLC. I'm not talking about quality DLC for games like BFBC2 Vietnam for example. But little things like a few items, or a couple maps, clothing, that type of thing. Because people have bought into the DLC these huge companies will milk it for all its worth. Its a business none the less. Nickle and dime, nickle and dime.

Simply put, the only way to stop it is to stop buying crap DLC. If new DLC comes out for a game you like research it. Check the reviews and make an educated decision if its actually worth your money. Compare the amount you are going to spend on maybe an hour extra of content to putting that towards a full brand new game.

Money speaks, but only if we let it.
December 19, 2011 4:33:19 PM

Do we really the same errors pointed out a dozen times each? Would it be too much to ask for people to read the other comments before posting??
December 19, 2011 4:58:28 PM

This is why multi-play gaming has become such a trash bin. EA deserves to monitize it's properties but the world of gaming is beginning to resemble the actual world itself as a whole. The "haves" & the "have-nots". This to me sets a dangerous trend. I fully expect to see whole lives perish over the sake of a freaking video game. Not to mention increased hacking to get to or around these things.

Count me out. EA has seen my last $. Nickel & dime you to death they will. You have lost a very good customer. So will any other company that goes this route.. I'd rather quit and leave than be exploited this way. Looks like I now have some extra $'s to save a few animals from the local pound.
December 19, 2011 5:40:53 PM

i wonder how much is the fzr2000.....
December 19, 2011 5:44:57 PM

What's wrong with offering items, even virtual, for cash? Someone has to pay those developers. They don't work for free. Maybe some of you guys who criticize those people who are willing to spend the cash to buy items would like to work for free. I work for my money and I spend it as I see fit. I don't have time to work my way up in a game so I would like to spend some money to bypass the tedious part of the game. This works in real life too. You can buy a seat on a company board if you have enough money. Most of us don't. So we slave away at a real job.
!