FF and Rewind for Long Video clips

Hello,

Is anyone away of a video player that will allow FastForward and
Rewind for video clips. Windows media player for is hard to use the
slide bar for very long videos as a small movement makes it move very
far.

I want to be able to view video in fast forward to view certain parts
instead of jumping from spot to spot.

Is there such a player for .avi, .mov, .wmv and .mpeg?

Thanks,

Tmuld.

"Tavish Muldoon" <tmuldoon@spliced.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Is anyone away of a video player that will allow FastForward and
> Rewind for video clips. Windows media player for is hard to use the
> slide bar for very long videos as a small movement makes it move very
> far.
>
> I want to be able to view video in fast forward to view certain parts
> instead of jumping from spot to spot.
>
> Is there such a player for .avi, .mov, .wmv and .mpeg?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tmuld.

Start>>Run>>mplay32.exe

It's old, not pretty, but you can drag the seek bar to whatever width you
want, up to the width of your screen and beyond. It's what I use to
review pipeline video inspections made by my company cuz' it
easily allows me to find a specific spot by dragging the position
indicator around.

It's also very fast, many orders of magnitude faster than the bloated
WMP X.X players that came later with all their useless baggage.

IrfanView has a clip player built in as well, but I've only
used it for 352x252 MPEG1 clips. It does OK.

Nero ShowTime has a 1.5x, 2x, etc. playback speed option. Once again I am
starting to think Microsoft has dropped the ball by leaving out some basic
features.

Also, I have found that some videos fast forward better than others and I
have seen some that move to the new spot but then don't play any further. I
am not sure what causes this and it isn't only Windows Media Player that has
this problem.

Jerry

"nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Nero ShowTime has a 1.5x, 2x, etc. playback speed option. Once again I am
> starting to think Microsoft has dropped the ball by leaving out some basic
> features.
>
> Also, I have found that some videos fast forward better than others and I
> have seen some that move to the new spot but then don't play any further.
> am not sure what causes this and it isn't only Windows Media Player that
> has
> this problem.

Typically, some VBR encoded clips do this...since the playback
rate is computed "on the fly" based on the previous frames, when you
jump past those by randomly seeking, the decompressor gets VERY confused.

Also, sometimes if you do not index .WMV files, they barf when
you do this as well.

> Jerry
>

> "Tavish Muldoon" <tmuldoon@spliced.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is anyone away of a video player that will allow FastForward and
>> Rewind for video clips. Windows media player for is hard to use the
>> slide bar for very long videos as a small movement makes it move very
>> far.
>>
>> I want to be able to view video in fast forward to view certain parts
>> instead of jumping from spot to spot.
>>
>> Is there such a player for .avi, .mov, .wmv and .mpeg?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tmuld.

martin

"Tavish Muldoon" <tmuldoon@spliced.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Is anyone away of a video player that will allow FastForward and
> Rewind for video clips. Windows media player for is hard to use the
> slide bar for very long videos as a small movement makes it move very
> far.
>
> I want to be able to view video in fast forward to view certain parts
> instead of jumping from spot to spot.
>
> Is there such a player for .avi, .mov, .wmv and .mpeg?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tmuld.

The Zoom Media Player can rewind and forward at various speeds - slowmotion
and fastforward.

Martin.