Cannot Install Media Player 9 or 10

I tried to install MP10 on my WinXP computer, and got a blue screen as it was
updating the registry. I "removed" it using the Control Panel by unclicking
on the Windows Component. Now, when I try to install version 9, the install
package displays a message that a later version is already installed, and
exits. Every time I have tried to install version 10, I get a blue screen.
And Windows no longer acknowledges that it is even installed among the
Windows Components, so I can't even uninstall it.

Any suggestions?
TIA,
Marty
5 answers Last reply
More about cannot install media player

    What is the exact text on the blue screen?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Marty" <mdmarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I tried to install MP10 on my WinXP computer, and got a blue screen as it
    >was
    > updating the registry. I "removed" it using the Control Panel by
    > unclicking
    > on the Windows Component. Now, when I try to install version 9, the
    > install
    > package displays a message that a later version is already installed, and
    > exits. Every time I have tried to install version 10, I get a blue
    > screen.
    > And Windows no longer acknowledges that it is even installed among the
    > Windows Components, so I can't even uninstall it.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > TIA,
    > Marty

    Toward the end of the second pass for "Updating the Registry," the technical
    data are

    Stop: 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0x8056E2A2, 0xF58E1BA4, 0x00000000)

    I sure hope this means something to you, 'cause it means just about nothing
    to me.

    Thanks!
    Marty

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > What is the exact text on the blue screen?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Marty" <mdmarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I tried to install MP10 on my WinXP computer, and got a blue screen as it
    > >was
    > > updating the registry. I "removed" it using the Control Panel by
    > > unclicking
    > > on the Windows Component. Now, when I try to install version 9, the
    > > install
    > > package displays a message that a later version is already installed, and
    > > exits. Every time I have tried to install version 10, I get a blue
    > > screen.
    > > And Windows no longer acknowledges that it is even installed among the
    > > Windows Components, so I can't even uninstall it.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > > TIA,
    > > Marty

    Aha....an 8E

    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x8e

    Try updating your graphics cards drivers, then the soundcard drivers then
    DirectX (www.microsoft.com/directx) and see if there is any change.
    --

    > Toward the end of the second pass for "Updating the Registry," the
    > technical
    > data are
    >
    > Stop: 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0x8056E2A2, 0xF58E1BA4, 0x00000000)
    >
    > I sure hope this means something to you, 'cause it means just about
    > nothing
    > to me.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Marty
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> What is the exact text on the blue screen?
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "Marty" <mdmarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I tried to install MP10 on my WinXP computer, and got a blue screen as
    >> >it
    >> >was
    >> > updating the registry. I "removed" it using the Control Panel by
    >> > unclicking
    >> > on the Windows Component. Now, when I try to install version 9, the
    >> > install
    >> > package displays a message that a later version is already installed,
    >> > and
    >> > exits. Every time I have tried to install version 10, I get a blue
    >> > screen.
    >> > And Windows no longer acknowledges that it is even installed among the
    >> > Windows Components, so I can't even uninstall it.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions?
    >> > TIA,
    >> > Marty

    Cari –

    Thanks much for the ideas, but they didn’t work. I went to Drivers.com,
    scanned my system for new drivers, and found new ones for video, audio, and
    others. I installed DirectX9.0C, installed the new Audio driver, but was
    unable to install either of 2 video drivers from the manufacturers' websites
    (Windows refused to recognize the INF files, I don’t know why) so I swapped
    out the video card and the monitor. The new card was recognized by Windows
    so it was installed OK, even with higher resolutions. I tried to install
    MP10 and once again, it crashed into a blue screen.

    Any other ideas?

    Marty

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Aha....an 8E
    >
    > http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x8e
    >
    > Try updating your graphics cards drivers, then the soundcard drivers then
    > DirectX (www.microsoft.com/directx) and see if there is any change.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Marty" <mdmarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Toward the end of the second pass for "Updating the Registry," the
    > > technical
    > > data are
    > >
    > > Stop: 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0x8056E2A2, 0xF58E1BA4, 0x00000000)
    > >
    > > I sure hope this means something to you, 'cause it means just about
    > > nothing
    > > to me.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Marty
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> What is the exact text on the blue screen?
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> Printing & Imaging
    > >>

    > >> "Marty" <mdmarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    If you have a retail edition of Windows XP, you could try a Repair
    Installation....

    Which graphics card do you have?
    --

    > Cari -
    >
    > Thanks much for the ideas, but they didn't work. I went to Drivers.com,
    > scanned my system for new drivers, and found new ones for video, audio,
    > and
    > others. I installed DirectX9.0C, installed the new Audio driver, but was
    > unable to install either of 2 video drivers from the manufacturers'
    > websites
    > (Windows refused to recognize the INF files, I don't know why) so I
    > swapped
    > out the video card and the monitor. The new card was recognized by
    > Windows
    > so it was installed OK, even with higher resolutions. I tried to install
    > MP10 and once again, it crashed into a blue screen.
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > Marty
    >

    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Aha....an 8E
    >>
    >> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x8e
    >>
    >> Try updating your graphics cards drivers, then the soundcard drivers then
    >> DirectX (www.microsoft.com/directx) and see if there is any change.
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "Marty" <mdmarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Toward the end of the second pass for "Updating the Registry," the
    >> > technical
    >> > data are
    >> >
    >> > Stop: 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0x8056E2A2, 0xF58E1BA4, 0x00000000)
    >> >
    >> > I sure hope this means something to you, 'cause it means just about
    >> > nothing
    >> > to me.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!
    >> > Marty

Video Blue Screen Media Player Windows XP